You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, agree with that. 

Also, the general delight on here at the sale of Fabinho was just daft. There was always going to be a strong chance that we wouldn’t replace him. 

A traffic cone would be an adequate replacement for the Fabinho of the past 18 months.

£40m? Daylight robbery.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

We've spent £18m of it on his replacement.

I put it to you that we had the £16m regardless of selling Fabinho. 

Hopefully I'll be eating my words soon when we make a big money signing before the window ends but I won't be holding my breath 

• Upvote 1

On 26/08/2023 at 09:18, gkmacca said:

I think we're all agreed that we need another centre back. But we need to be honest about what kind of player we're likely to get.

Virge, we're surely agreed, will play most of the games. Konate, the consensus seems to be, is first choice to partner him, but needs some rest, so he's likely to play, what - 75 per cent of games, at best?

So who do we need? Again, the consensus seems to be that Matip is no longer good enough, and neither, often enough, is Gomez. So presumably we should be aiming for an affordable and available CB - ideally under 28 - who is better than Matip or Gomez, but who'll not resent too much being limited to, barring an injury crisis, about twenty-five per cent of all games.

That's a pretty limited market as far as I can see. Is there a realistic target?

Funky cold Medina, how many times …

On 26/08/2023 at 09:50, Street Preacher said:

If we are continuing with the current tactics then a left sided centre back who is comfortable in the left back position would I think be the priority. Don't think the way we are currently playing is helping Robbo much. 

Yep, that’s Funky cold Medina, can also play an inverted CB role similar to Trent but from the left.

Both the players at Feyenord we have been linked to scored today. Given the short comings in defence we should really look at at least one player there if not two. I’d fancy Gomez to cover left and right side centre back adequately so could Todibo be worth a look?Also in terms of potential Mo successors I wonder if they’d try and revisit Raphina again.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Scott_M said:

£150m is the figure rumoured, hence why I’ve been mentioning it. If they want him now, I wouldn’t entertain anything less. Only Neymar to PSG would be a bigger transfer in history. 

For the goals thing, we were the 3rd highest scorers last season and that was it Diaz & Jota missing large chunks of the season trying to bed in Nunez & Gakpo and being poor in other areas of the pitch. 

I’ve been very clear I don’t want Salah to leave now, I could see why we would be tempted to cash in now if they offer an extortionate fee and he pushes for it. 

Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez… we’ve always coped. 

To be honest, the only place I've seen 150m is off the Liverpool journalists who also say there's been no offer. All the stuff driving this out of Saudi say it was 100m and this week they raised to 120m. All that tells me is either I need to do more twitter and see what you see or 150m is the number Liverpool want and are pushing out through the normal channels. 

Of course you get over players going. It doesn't mean you move on seamlessly though and it doesn't hurt you. So of course the club will still be here in 100 years of we sell Salah. But that doesn't mean we should sell Salah, especially now. I see absolutely no upside to taking 150m between now and when the window closes over there on the 7th. If he wants to go (and only if he does), get our ducks in a row and let him go in January. If he's not pushing for a move, keep him till we want him to go. And klopps reaction over the last few days says he doesn't want him.to go anywhere. 

Gutted if they sign someone who can get them goals. Their all round play hasn't been as bad as their results show. Scoring is what's killing them. I still think they will safely stay up as someone said they'll beat the teams they shouldn't when you least expect it and as always there will always be 3 shitter teams. Its guaranteed.

• Upvote 2