You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bobby Firmino deal or no deal

Lee909

Deal or no Deal  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Deal or no Deal

Even if we had all the money in the world, it is normally never a good idea to change 6 or 7 or even 10 players in one window. Do it gradually. 3 out and 3 new ones in. Out of our squad I don’t think he is in the first 3 that should go, so I’d offer him a 1 or 2 year extension and then let him go in a subsequent window. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Even if we had all the money in the world, it is normally never a good idea to change 6 or 7 or even 10 players in one window. Do it gradually. 3 out and 3 new ones in. Out of our squad I don’t think he is in the first 3 that should go, so I’d offer him a 1 or 2 year extension and then let him go in a subsequent window. 

Agree with this. We have a good balance in attack, different types of players and different ages.

The priority is so very obvious, we need to strengthen the midfield with 2-4 players over the next transfer windows.

In attack if we keep Bobby 1-2 more years, next player in should be a young player about to take the step to the very top level, age 20-22.

1 hour ago, etho said:

So I wouldn't be adverse to a 2 year deal if the terms weren't ridiculous. You'd think if that were the case though he'd go somewhere else for a final payday. And it will be a very say day indeed if and when that happens 

He's only 31, no reason why we can't have him another year or two and he still gets his big final payday when he's 33.

Knowing us though he'll still be starting for us when he's 37 because Klopp gets a bit too sentimental. 

Part of me wants him around for a few more seasons, the other part wants this to be his swan song. He's hit some decent form and put in some good performances this season, let him go out on a high with another champions league medal and wish him well for the future. 

In the summer Ox, Keita, Milner and Arthur will probably move on with no money coming in for them.

From what i can see only Jones, Gomez and/or Fabinho could be sold to generate cash (maybe Kelleher). 

If all of the above go, (they won't), what is needed is 3 midfielders and a centre back. 

If Bobby is also allowed leave, even with the wages savings and money generated on sales, we can't afford to bring in five 1st team players. Or rather FSG won't fund it so he will probably be offered a new deal, the out of contract players will be moved on, one or 2 will be sold, we will bring in 3 midfielders (hopefully one of them in January and at least two of them in their mid 20s) and a centre back. 

If one of the MFs arrives in January, then only 2 are settling in at the start of next season 

I'd be made up if we start next season with a squad similar to this. 14 or 15 of the 23 below would in their mid-20s or younger. 

GK: Alisson Kelleher 

RB: TAA Ramsay

CB: Konate VVD Matip CB

LB: Robertson Tsimikas 

CM: Henderson Elliott Thiago CM1 CM2 CM3 Fabinho/Jones

Forwards: Salah Carvalho Nunez Firmino Jota Diaz

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Don't really expect the injury thing to change much - kind of the way it is nowdays. That is with Salah available pretty much all the time. 

So a better 5th choice will most likely include a transfer fee and wages at least up @ 100k. 

Give that to Bobby for another year imo, it's too late to sell him.

I don't argue about the cost part, as I said in another quote, losing players on bosmans costs us. 

I think we should expect the injury situation to improve. Jota missed the first chunk of this season because we mismanaged his injury at the end of international duty. I'm sure there's probably other instances but we know about that one because klopp complained about him and kelleher. We can't just shrug our shoulders on the injury situation. Sure we have some crocks, but it feels like we're changing what could be otherwise normal players into crocks. Jones for example missed about 2 months of last season with an eye injury that was assessed to be a couple of weeks. He's had another injury this season where he's been back too soon and had a set back that has cost about another month. With the size of our squad and sweating of assets we do, improved injury management is an absolute must and forms part of the structure of our marginal gains philosophy. 

14 hours ago, m0e said:

If we're playing 2 up top, keep him for another season.

If we're going back to 433 then we need someone similar to Nunez, as the way we have to set up with one or the other is totally different.

Or… We have made a bit of a blunder in paying over the odds for a striker that isn’t really suited to play the way that works best with the rest of our squad….

I really hope Nunez succeeds, but not if it’s to the detriment of the team. We should line up him up on the left wing if we play 4-3-3, which means Bobby still has a big role to play for us.

Unless we are willing to spend then for me he has to be extended for a year.

I just can't see how we can or will carry out the massive rebuild in midfield that is desperately needed and bring in a new forward....too much money and too much change all at once.

Firmino can do a job as cover to Diaz, Jota, Nunez and Salah for another year whilst we hopefully fix our biggest problem.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

I just can't see how we can or will carry out the massive rebuild in midfield that is desperately needed and bring in a new forward....too much money and too much change all at once.

Firmino can do a job as cover to Diaz, Jota, Nunez and Salah for another year whilst we hopefully fix our biggest problem.

£180,000 a week for fifth choice striker?

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

brave post after that performance.  He played better for Spurs than for Liverpool today.

43 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

£180,000 a week for fifth choice striker?

The problem we have is the lack of will to spend, so letting a bosman out of the door makes it really hard to bring someone in and the midfield needs rebuilding. It has to be reduced terms if he stays, but unless FSG are willing to commit to a midfield rebuild and a youngish forward, what choice do we have? We've spent so little over the years under klopp, we should be able to go out and splash 200m net, but we all know that won't happen and it'll be 25-30m-ish as normal. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Code said:

If we offer him a new deal, it has to be on reduced terms.

He’s simply not contributing enough on a consistent basis.

This season he has played 19 games, he has failed to score or assist in 14 of them.

Unfair to say he's not assisting when he lays on an open goal and the ball bounces off the post.

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

brave post after that performance.  He played better for Spurs than for Liverpool today.

It is for me more about the fact that we just won't or can't do all that needs doing in one go.....the midfield is such a desperate priority and is so urgent that we need to focus on that and for me we won't then also release the money needed to replace Firmino.

Look at us now - we are down to just the 3 fit forwards for 3 places - if Firmino was not here we'd be short.....I don't want us to be short next season.

Ideally we'd sort the midfield and upgrade Firmino, but i have no faith we will - so if Firmino has to stay an extra year while we fix midfield then it is what it is.

The reality is we've 4 players out of contract this season

Chamberlain

Keita

Milner

Firmino

Surely in an ideal world we replace all 4. But we won't get a fee for any of them, so our budget probably allows for just 1 or 2 of them to be replaced. In that works surely Bobby is the bottom of that list and we probably need to find a way to keep him. I've no doubt we should be looking to bring in someone younger, but we know that's not possible. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The reality is we've 4 players out of contract this season

Chamberlain

Keita

Milner

Firmino

Surely in an ideal world we replace all 4. But we won't get a fee for any of them, so our budget probably allows for just 1 or 2 of them to be replaced. In that works surely Bobby is the bottom of that list and we probably need to find a way to keep him. I've no doubt we should be looking to bring in someone younger, but we know that's not possible. 

I think our budget is based on wages more than transfer fees.