You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arthur Melo

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Caulker, Kabak, now Arthur. At least our punts on stop-gap loans are on an upward trend in terms of quality.

Still seems a bit mad though. Bringing in someone who may be made of pink waifers to cover those of a similar ilk. Ideally, he's fit when others aren't, and things dovetail. It's just as likely, however, that everyone's fit at the same time - and he doesn't see much game time - or he's crocked at the same time. Either way, the team won't be improved.

Certainly a gamble.

When you say the team won't be improved, I think that's a negative way to look at it..so he mightn't be ideal. But he's going to be an improvement on the choices we've had on the bench for weeks. We're now into the part of the season where using the squad is crucial. I'd sooner have Arthur available than needing to fall back on Bobby Clarke and Bajcetic. So in that regard it's an improvement. And he might just turn out to be really good at football after klopp gets to work with him. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

When you say the team won't be improved, I think that's a negative way to look at it..so he mightn't be ideal. But he's going to be an improvement on the choices we've had on the bench for weeks. We're now into the part of the season where using the squad is crucial. I'd sooner have Arthur available than needing to fall back on Bobby Clarke and Bajcetic. So in that regard it's an improvement. And he might just turn out to be really good at football after klopp gets to work with him. 

Fair point. But, if we have everyone fit, do you really see him getting much game time?

His injury record makes an absolute mockery of the silly argument that we had "the numbers".  It was never about the numbers and not wanting to add to them, it was only ever about not wanting to add to the cost. If there was a problem with the numbers, half of whom are prone to injury, then the last thing you would do is add another number who's likely to spend time in the stands. 

The excuses for FSG are wearing ever thinner.

15 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair point. But, if we have everyone fit, do you really see him getting much game time?

I think we will continue to have injuries and there's absolutely no doubt he'll get game time because of that. I don't know how good he is  (or can be under klopp) as I've never paid too much attention to him, but certainly watched him. With 2 matches a week and 5 subs, we should be using at least 6 midfielders per week for 30 mins or more. If someone was doing some spread betting on it, I'd happily take 20+ games over the season. If we have a run in domestic cups, probably 30. 

Edit... And of course he has to stay fit. 

Just now, Paulie Dangerously said:

Once again broke by me on the MF a few days prior. Don't put loans on the signature though.  

£3 a month lads is all it costs to support the site and get access. 

Spots available on the invite only twitter too. Gold members only of course. 

Can you give the plebs a crumb regarding Caicedo, please?

Someone on twitter has posted that he would now hold the record in our squad for total transfer fees paid throughout his career.

I total it up at 120m euros in transfer fees, between what Barca and then Juventus paid for him (clearly some odd finances about the latter transfer). Would that be the highest in our squad? Van Dijk at about 90m is the highest I can think of, between Celtic, Southampton, and Liverpool.

Edit: apparently Benfica paid 24m euros for Nunez, so if you add in all the add-ons to his fee to move here, he might be just higher than Arthur.