You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

One thing that slightly worries me is the track record of big powerful strikers bought from overseas over the past couple of years has been woeful; Lukaku, Wesley, Haller, Joelinton, I reckon it’s mostly because defenders in the PL are stronger and faster than those in other leagues. Let’s hope Darwin bucks the the trend. 

Not watched him much have you?

16 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

People on twitter today arguing over which signing had the most likes. I’m dismayed that this is a thing but I bet it influences some transfers.

Nothing conjures up an image of city fans more than 'who's got the best shiny new striker'. 

I can honestly say during all this shit, all I've thought was would he fit the team and would he fill the void left by Mane, not 'will he score more goals than Haaland'. 

That's the only joy they extract from the game though many of them, nothing is celebrated for its own sake - it's purely about being bigger, better and slagging other people off. 

It's a mancs thing that though rather than City, as utd do it too. I dunno why, maybe years of propaganda from people like Tony Wilson telling them the place was some kind of global cultural hub, rather than an absolute shithole. 

Often I've walked through Piccadilly and thought: "Had only Da Vinci been born today, he'd have quit Florence and moved to Manchester instead, bought a pair of Evisu kecks and ended up dead in a canal with a tent pole wedged up his arse." 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nothing conjures up an image of city fans more than 'who's got the best shiny new striker'. 

I can honestly say during all this shit, all I've thought was would he fit the team and would he fill the void left by Mane, not 'will he score more goals than Haaland'. 

That's the only joy they extract from the game though many of them, nothing is celebrated for its own sake - it's purely about being bigger, better and slagging other people off. 

It's a mancs thing that though rather than City, as utd do it too. I dunno why, maybe years of propaganda from people like Tony Wilson telling them the place was some kind of global cultural hub, rather than an absolute shithole. 

Often I've walked through Piccadilly and thought: "Had only Da Vinci been born today, he'd have quit Florence and moved to Manchester instead, bought a pair of Evisu kecks and ended up dead in a canal with a tend pole wedged up his arse." 

The missus is from Manchester(ish - spent most her life elsewhere though) and I often say to her that I like Manchester, but I'd never fucking tell anyone from Manchester that, because fuck knows they don't need to hear it more than they tell it to themselves.

31 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Not watched him much have you?

Let's be honest, none of us were watching Benfica week in week out. Our only real context is the two games against us, YouTube videos and maybe a couple of other CL games from last season. 

4 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

He has all the tools in the box to be a great technician.

Get him to fix the vending machine at the training ground then as it’s one of the reasons Salah is kicking off, he loves a Cheese Moment and hasn’t been able to get one for weeks with it being out of order.

26 minutes ago, Chris said:

Let's be honest, none of us were watching Benfica week in week out. Our only real context is the two games against us, YouTube videos and maybe a couple of other CL games from last season. 

I watched him a bit as me and my lad watch Portuguese football, he is a player but no one is ever certain of succeeding anywhere as you know.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

One thing that slightly worries me is the track record of big powerful strikers bought from overseas over the past couple of years has been woeful; Lukaku, Wesley, Haller, Joelinton, I reckon it’s mostly because defenders in the PL are stronger and faster than those in other leagues. Let’s hope Darwin bucks the the trend. 

Strange, strange post.

Lukaku has scored 121 "woeful" Premier League goals. I'm not convinced he belongs in the same sentence as Sebastien Haller.

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

People on twitter today arguing over which signing had the most likes. I’m dismayed that this is a thing but I bet it influences some transfers.

I'd like to think it's a thing at City and not at Liverpool. Our transfer dealings seem to hint at it not being important at all.  

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I watched him a bit as me and my lad watch Portuguese football, he is a player but no one is ever certain of succeeding anywhere as you know.

Fair play. I don't know how people find the time to watch non-English footy, but then I guess I watch a lot of NFL, NBA, darts, etc. I'm happy to just put my feet up and trust the scouting, analytics and coaches on this. There is natural trepidation and fear (certainly from my perspective) when you move away from something that has worked so historically well into the relative unknown. For others that will translate as excitement. 

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I honestly don’t see a big tactical change. Pep wouldn’t change his style for anybody. I think Haaland will score more than a goal a game over the season. Closer to 40 goals in the Prem alone. He will absolutely fucking battering ram the shit defences. I think this next season is going to be absolutely ridiculous for them. 

I hope this’ll be quoted at the end of the season and he turned out to be an absolute joke. 

I hope you're wrong too, but this summer reminds me of the summer Chelsea bought Drogba and we bought Cisse, and all our fans were saying that we got the better deal.

50 minutes ago, Chris said:

Fair play. I don't know how people find the time to watch non-English footy, but then I guess I watch a lot of NFL, NBA, darts, etc. I'm happy to just put my feet up and trust the scouting, analytics and coaches on this. There is natural trepidation and fear (certainly from my perspective) when you move away from something that has worked so historically well into the relative unknown. For others that will translate as excitement. 

We actually watch less than we use to, I don’t really watch much PL the only other sport I watch being Cricket really. We can all only hope he translates his form to the PL as soon as possible, but as has been said I doubt he will get pressure from Jurgen and the team.

2 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I hope you're wrong too, but this summer reminds me of the summer Chelsea bought Drogba and we bought Cisse, and all our fans were saying that we got the better deal.

That… hurts. 

That said, we have a dramatically better set up, better manager, better back room staff, better team for him to play in. So there’s hope. 

Haaland will obviously score goals, he's a top player. The factor will be if he actually makes them better, though. That's not a given. Football's not as simple as just adding a goal scorer and that makes you better. There's a bunch of tactical factors to look at.

13 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I no longer have Twitter but from what I can see here most people accept that Haaland is the better player, but we were just never going to get him for financial reasons. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

I no longer have Twitter but from what I can see here most people accept that Haaland is the better player, but we were just never going to get him for financial reasons. 

The time to buy him would have been when he was available for a bag of balloons and a pencil from Salzburg. We bought his even cheaper team-mate instead.

I think Darwin Nunez is a good player, but I think people are kidding themselves if they're arguing that Haaland won't dramatically improve City this season.

Clubs didn't miss Haaland when he was at Salzburg. There were obviously conditions to his transfer at Dortmund that bigger clubs did not want to cater to.

Even now, his transfer to City is financially ridiculous. Lump sum transfer fee, possibly the biggest agent fee ever, another huge payment to his dad, world class wages and a release clause in his contract.