You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) - Sat 12th Mar 2022 (12:30pm)

Trumo

A pretty routine win.

Looked a bit sluggish at times - but never in any real doubt.

Will need to be better v Arsenal on Weds and expect us to be.

Thought Diaz was good today - took goal well occupied that Lamptey well and was always willing and did a decent job working back when needed.

His attitude and application is spot on.

Solid win.

Utterly scandalous that their goalkeeper didn’t see red.

If only there was a retrospective in-game video analysis facility so that third parties could take another look at incidents that referees missed or weren’t sure of. 

• Upvote 1

Never seen Klopp so angry about our lack of passing / poor passing. Expect Klopp to have them working on it in the next few days. Salah’s bollocking was a little unfair as there wasn’t really a pass to play and Diaz tried to play it to Jota but left it too late after a poor touch left the ball behind him slightly.

I remained angry throughout the game due to lack of red card for their goalie’s assault and lack of any protection from their constant shithouse fouling tactics. Maupay’s foul on Allison was worth a VAR look as well, as he had no intention of playing the ball, which incidentally wasn’t there anymore either.

2 nil move on.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DJLJ said:

Klopp getting the interviewer to say that Sanchez should have been off, without saying anything himself. What a great man he is, also so smart at turning interviews.

Yep. His and that Des Kelly had a spat here last year so good to see Klopps got the measure of him with ease. 

Tough, tough game made tougher by yet another load of shithouse cunts upping their game when playing us and inept VAR. How their keeper stays on for that Toni Schumacher-esque assault on Diaz I dont know? Maybe Attwell saw that incident as a kid and thought it ok?

No doubt the gobshites will say Alli should have been off when he stepped outside the box holding the ball but he's clearly extended his arms to make sure the ball stays the right side of the line.

OK you can argue the officials didnt have a good view but in that case, they couldnt send him off anyway. And it's not where his feet are, it's where the ball is that matters.

A brilliant goal by Diaz as he likely knew he was getting clattered there no matter what. If he hadnt scored would the keeper have been off? I doubt it given attwell's ineptitude.

Some, well all these decisions against us are criminal. Someone posted a few where our players have been assaulted yet fuck all happens. Mo, van Dijk, Keita, Jota and Diaz to name a few have all been taken out in recent games and fuck all has happened.

I can remember Sadio getting red carded at city by lardy Moss where he actually tried to play the ball and collided with ederson. How come that's a red but the brighton keeper didnt even get a card and he wasnt trying to play the ball at all? Fucking disgrace.

It was a hard game for the boys because of Brighton's ale house tactics. Going down holding heads when losing play, pulling players back and the ref waving play on and generally trying to break up our play. Yeah, I know before today they had lost 4 on the bounce.

We still look out of sorts up top. Mo was anonymous all game. Was unlucky to hit angle of post and bar but apart from that and putting the pen away, not a lot. Given his recent form, Id have felt more confident with Fab taking it but to be fair, Mo buried it.

2-0 up and while I wouldnt say we were never in danger, you just dont know with these officials whether they'll make a decision that changes the game. Alli had to be smart on a Wellbeck shot while up front, Diaz should really have added at least one to his tally.

It's a bit worrying Jota didnt get a sniff. Sadio has some chances but fluffed his lines as well. Love Robbo but he needs to get his head from up his arse when he gets into good positions. Some of his decisions were not good today!

But, it's a win, 3 points and a cleansheet. doesnt matter how ugly or pretty it looks, it's the end result that matters. Well in reds especially after the midweek disappointment.

MoTM is Diaz for me.

• Upvote 2

More confortable than expected in the end. Apart from their bright start which didn't result in any real chances, Brighton were second best all day.

For all their whining over Dean and his decisions, they were lucky that the latest slapdick in the VAR booth saw nothing wrong with Sanchez's 'challenge' on Lucho. Never mind that a goal was scored, Brighton were lucky to have 10 onthe pitch. How they didn't think it to be a bookable offence I've no idea. Crouchie in the studio at half time was right when he said that there will be a much less incident in another game today which will result in a red card or two.

If Maupay put half as much effort into being a centre forward as he does in trying to wind opponents up and get them booked, he could be a hugely prolific striker. Trying to wind up three of the calmest players around in Ali, Big Bird and Virg is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I'm sure Lallana came on as a sub in this game last season only to go off injured just minutes later. It happened again today. How long was he on the pitch for? 5 minutes?

Mo's game had been off all day, and he'd moments earlier missed a great chance after a quick break from Lucho, so I wasn't absolutely convinced that he'd bury the penalty. He did, but had to go off moments later with an injury of some sort.

That Mo miss was symptomatic of much of what we did wrong in this game. Too often the wrong choices were made in the final third, and plenty of promising situations went begging. Jurgen was going mad on the sidelines. Loads of times we broke and had numbers, with the ball to Lucho on the left being on, only for the ball to be played too wide so he'd have to go fetch before taking on his man.

We weren't great and nevergotout of third gear, but third gear was enough to beat a Brighton side that are more toothless than your average NASCAR crowd. They are like us under Rodgers in his first season.

Onwards we march.

• Upvote 1

That was a hell of a lot smoother than I expected. After the first 15/20 minutes I was thinking "here we go again" as we seem to struggle against Brighton for some reason. After that though, we wrestled control of the game and won very comfortably.

We were nowhere near our best but it was a routine win.

Diaz is absolutely sensational.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I bet if Diaz misses it would have been a  red and a pen . Just so fucking illogical to decide it was not a card of any description

Carra said same...

Agree with Carra here “I’m convinced the red card wasn’t given because it was a goal. That header goes past the post & it’s a red card. It’s almost like, a goal is enough”.

As I've said countless times before these refs come onto forums and read what we say about them.  They're not allowed to have social media accounts but have no rules in place about reading things on the internet (wouldn't know how that would be policed by the not very professional PGMOL), hence these half-wits will have been on here to see how they're 'judged'.

Attwell has thought today 'well, the scousers have scored I don't need to do anything'.  Another thing is, in any job, you always back up your co-workers - therefore Dean will cover his back next week or whenever.

• Upvote 1

Carragher doesnt half talk shit. If he and his cohorts dont recognise serious foul play, well, Im baffled.

I dont think the keeper is getting sent off whether Diaz scores. And what part of the rules say it's not a red card if the striker scores? What if Diaz is concussed and has to go off under the protocols, do they then send off the keeper?

Like I say, they make it up as they go along. The rules say that's a red card, serious foul play not has the player scored, yes, no sending off then. He didnt send the keeper off because of Carragher and co's bollocks about Sanchez' sending off with Fabinho midweek, even though it's a different competition. Refs see and read this shit and go 'Im not falling for that one'!

7 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I consider that to be Diaz's first proper introduction to English football i.e having the everloving shit kicked out of him all game. 

He's probably faced worse than a kick in the face playing on the mean streets of Colombia

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I consider that to be Diaz's first proper introduction to English football i.e having the everloving shit kicked out of him all game. 

He'll haved been kicked plenty in Colombia and in Portugal, I'd think. Maybe his introduction to somehow shitter refereeing than in those 2 countries, though.

Edit: lad above beat me to it.