You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (A) - Sat 12th Mar 2022 (12:30pm)

Trumo

While I'm generally in favour of VAR, the present system is shite. The cosy little nexus between the referee and the video assistant stinks. The video assistant should not be from the ranks of past or present PGMOL shonks but an independent organisation. Riley and his crew are unfit for Sunday league matches most weeks.

Manc Dean had plenty of time to review it himself while Luiz was getting treatment. The cunt was consistent though - allowed assaults on Luiz to go unpunished while blowing every time Luiz challenged. One early on when Luiz was wrestled to the ground particularly stuck in my craw. 2 minutes later he penalised Luiz for fuck all.

18 hours ago, Aventus said:

I'll tell you what, I'm not entirely happy about the narrative of Diaz being called brave. 

It's subtle but it implies that it was a typically dangerous situation that he chose to put himself into for the sake of scoring.

Somebody heading a ball almost 6 foot off the ground shouldn't need bravery, it should be a pretty safe action in the grand scheme of things. 

There’s lots of players that wouldn’t have been able to stay as focused on the ball and stick their head in when they see a keeper rushing at them in the corner of their eye. Quite a few have played for us (some still do) that would have shit out of that. It’s absolutely not minimising the fact he should be able to do it without being assaulted.

8 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

While I'm generally in favour of VAR, the present system is shite. The cosy little nexus between the referee and the video assistant stinks. The video assistant should not be from the ranks of past or present PGMOL shonks but an independent organisation. Riley and his crew are unfit for Sunday league matches most weeks.

Manc Dean had plenty of time to review it himself while Luiz was getting treatment. The cunt was consistent though - allowed assaults on Luiz to go unpunished while blowing every time Luiz challenged. One early on when Luiz was wrestled to the ground particularly stuck in my craw. 2 minutes later he penalised Luiz for fuck all.

Not sure I follow you here, or was it a typo?

Whoever does it, it has to be the same group of people.

That's the only way to get a consistent result.

Set up a central office, staff it with whoever--ex-refs, ex-pros, etc.

Have them watch and review the matches, in small groups of three, say, then sit down to review the video and discuss decisions over the following week to develop consistency.

Change the groupings every week to ensure uniformity, keep discussing, etc.

There wouldn't be any need to cover for the refs; if the reviews are consistent, the refs will figure it out.

2 hours ago, Lario said:

I'm sure, just like Everton the other week, we'll get an apology from Reily and everything will be hunky dory.

All these things even themselves out over the course of a season, dontcha know!

/sarc

Chris Foy who is involved in training for the PGMOL has said the decision was correct, so I wouldn't wait by the bottom of the stairs for the postman

I didn't see the match so have only seen the foul on Diaz from the gifs caramac posted, that has to be one of the most blatantly deliberate fouls you're ever likely to see.

He completely misjudges the flight of the ball and then just throws his arm and leg out to try and take Diaz out. 

The standard of refereeing and subsequent VAR reviews etc. are absolutely shite. The fact you still have some absolutely blatant things being missed, like this, or the City/Everton hand ball is ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

I didn't see the match so have only seen the foul on Diaz from the gifs caramac posted, that has to be one of the most blatantly deliberate fouls you're ever likely to see.

He completely misjudges the flight of the ball and then just throws his arm and leg out to try and take Diaz out. 

The standard of refereeing and subsequent VAR reviews etc. are absolutely shite. The fact you still have some absolutely blatant things being missed, like this, or the City/Everton hand ball is ridiculous. 

This. If you look at Diaz's movement, it looks to me like he goes to nod the ball down then run onto it and smash it in the net. I dont think he's trying to score direct from that header or if he is, he's intending to dodge round the keeper and shepherd to ball over the line.

The keeper makes no attempt to stop the ball, he knows he's misjudged it so goes full Toni Schumacher against Battiston.

Dermot Gallagher is just defending the ref and VAR trying to explain why there's no sending off. Where's the card then Dermot?

On 13/03/2022 at 05:20, Evelyn Tentions said:

The video assistant should not be from the ranks of past or present PGMOL shonks but an independent organisation. 

Interesting point, that. There's no reason to have Premier League referees on VAR. It requires a different skillset to being a match referee. For VAR it doesn't matter if you're a cripplingly shy, fat fucker with terrible interpersonal skills, as long as you understand the rules of the game and can work the equipment.

59 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Interesting point, that. There's no reason to have Premier League referees on VAR. It requires a different skillset to being a match referee. For VAR it doesn't matter if you're a cripplingly shy, fat fucker with terrible interpersonal skills, as long as you understand the rules of the game and can work the equipment.

I was positive about VAR in the beginning, assuming it would be implemented and worked by technicians from the VAR company. I had no idea the same shower who caused the need for VAR would be overseeing it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

So you're saying they don't need to sack Jon Moss, just move him to the VAR room?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mook said:

We could always just scrap VAR and go back to when Football was much better, four years ago.

Flashback to 2013/14, when if one single decision had been called correctly (all other things being unchanged - Gerrard's slip, defeat at Hull, 3-3 at Palace, the fucking lot) we would have won the League.

VAR was introduced for fucking good reasons.

Screenshot_2022-03-15-12-42-03-67_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

• Upvote 2

Controversial take, but I don't reckon that Sterling offside decision would have changed much in that match. It was a joke of a decision like, but it happened at nil-nil and we went one-nil up shortly after that anyway. The way we managed the game from that point on was fucking diabolical, we kept committing men forward and being pretty fucking lackadaisical when we lost it, so I reckon we would have lost anyway.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Flashback to 2013/14, when if one single decision had been called correctly (all other things being unchanged - Gerrard's slip, defeat at Hull, 3-3 at Palace, the fucking lot) we would have won the League.

The best team has won the league since time began, VAR has made fuck all difference other than completely ruining the joy of your team scoring a goal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mook said:

The best team has won the league since time began, VAR has made fuck all difference other than completely ruining the joy of your team scoring a goal.

The best team wins the League because (as the old cliche says) the errors for and against you even themselves out over a season.

These days there are far fewer blatant errors. That's the difference VAR has made. The way it is being used does suck a lot of the joy out of goals and it does need tweaking; but I wouldn't want to return to the constant stream of horrendous fuck-ups we used to have.

Half of our game plan revolves around a very high back line and an efficient offside trap.

Just look at all the goals against us that have been overturned after being reviewed, we'd be struggling to make top 4 if those had all stood because I wouldn't trust the linos to get them right.

The other option would be to not play such a high line, in which case we'd score fewer goals and again have a lot fewer points.

So as annoying as it is, we kind of rely on VAR to make sure the right calls are made in these situations so we can play the attacking football that we all like. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The best team wins the League because (as the old cliche says) the errors for and against you even themselves out over a season.

These days there are far fewer blatant errors. That's the difference VAR has made. The way it is being used does suck a lot of the joy out of goals and it does need tweaking; but I wouldn't want to return to the constant stream of horrendous fuck-ups we used to have.

Really? We still have VAR and incorrect decisions too. So much so that they keep changing the laws of the game to protect those fuck ups.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

City got a few like that in that season I recall.