You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tribute Bands

Captain Howdy

Seen a couple of Genesis tribute bands - all excellent (Visible Touch, Mama, The Carpet Crawlers and The Watch). Great way to keep the music alive (even though the real thing came out of retirement this year anyway!). Musically all four of the bands are superb and they generally have a theme to the show - The Watch only does Gabriel era. Also seen Stillmarillion a couple of times who only do Fish-era Marillion.

I was offered a free ticket for a Joy Division tribute band a couple of weeks ago but said no. Pointless for me. They were 20 euro a ticket apparently. Fuck me. Most bands I see playing their own stuff putting their lives into it don't make that. I've seen  Thee Oh Sees numerous times for way less than that. If Ian Curtis knew some cunts were making that much money off his talent and tragedy he'd probably top himself. Again. 

Going to see an Otis Redding one next week.  Don't like them as a rule. Having said that, I saw the Stylistics earlier this week and only two of them were the originals.  Lumpy old band, 3 lads on the bontempis doing the strings, clarinets etc, and 4 blokes in their 70s doing their best with the Philly moves.  God bless them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Going to see an Otis Redding one next week.  Don't like them as a rule. Having said that, I saw the Stylistics earlier this week and only two of them were the originals.  Lumpy old band, 3 lads on the bontempis doing the strings, clarinets etc, and 4 blokes in their 70s doing their best with the Philly moves.  God bless them. 

IMG_6851.MOV

Did they do I'm Stone In Love With You?

Love that song.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Did they do I'm Stone In Love With You?

Love that song.

of course mate - they must have done at least a dozen songs that you could say were hits.  A curry, a decent support band, then the Stylistics, and home by 10.45.  Not a bad Tuesday night.  Better than me killing ancient material at the open mic we usually go to on that night.

• Upvote 1

On 05/11/2021 at 11:29, manwiththestick said:

I watched The Clone Roses a couple of times, they were actually better live than the originals.

Yeah saw them at Warrington Parr Hall a few years back. I'm sure Oasish played and a few others, including a dj set by Bez except it was his son or someone dj'ing and he was just being Bez. 

Dirty DC are very good. 

10 hours ago, stringvest said:

IMG_6851.MOV

On a Tenerife holiday one of my most stingy mates was strongarmed by his wife into paying 35 euros a ticket to see ' Live from Las Vegas '- The Drifters ' and is still fuming to this day. His rant went along the lines of

' Cheeky fucking cunts came on and explained they all came from a village called Las Vegas about 20 miles away , two of them were white and there was even a fucking bird in the band , and she was about 18 stone '.

Not a tribute band, but they do a pretty good job of this classic.

R.I.P. Pete - I for one have never forgotten you.

Funnily enough the guy singing looks like an aged Dean Ford from The Marmalade, and I’d love to hear them cover ‘Reflections’

On 06/11/2021 at 12:10, cloggypop said:

I was offered a free ticket for a Joy Division tribute band a couple of weeks ago but said no. Pointless for me. They were 20 euro a ticket apparently. Fuck me. Most bands I see playing their own stuff putting their lives into it don't make that. I've seen  Thee Oh Sees numerous times for way less than that. If Ian Curtis knew some cunts were making that much money off his talent and tragedy he'd probably top himself. Again. 

5030079.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2021 at 19:17, Captain Howdy said:

Never seen one, I find the concept a bit strange to be honest. Anyway I’m going to watch a Bowie tribute act next week. Anybody been to these things and are they any good? I’m told there are some really good ones about.

Did you get to the gig then mate?

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Did you get to the gig then mate?

Yes mate, best night I’ve had in yonks, I did get chance to shake hands with “Bowie” but there were quite a few people ahead of me so didn’t really get chance to have a chat. Great night though, like you said, a few pints a bit of a dance and a singalong, will deffo go again.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yes mate, best night I’ve had in yonks, I did get chance to shake hands with “Bowie” but there were quite a few people ahead of me so didn’t really get chance to have a chat. Great night though, like you said, a few pints a bit of a dance and a singalong, will deffo go again.

Pleased you enjoyed it. I've just realised that my mates' band is called Ultimate Bowie and not Absolute Bowie, so I ballsed that up anyway.

Off to see them a week before Christmas. Should be good.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Have to say, the Station to Station performance was outstanding 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...