You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

9 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Have those refs become absolute shite as well? The FL refs used to be a lot better than their so called superiors. The lack of VAR down there helped too.

They're a mixture of some promising younger ones and some absolute garbage who've been on the list for ages and never been given a go in the PL. People like Geoff Eltringham or David Webb.

44 minutes ago, Frank Dacey said:

They're a mixture of some promising younger ones and some absolute garbage who've been on the list for ages and never been given a go in the PL. People like Geoff Eltringham or David Webb.

They are probably better off (not financially of course!) staying at that level rather than becoming another useless PL referee.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought the red card Burnley got yesterday was a punishment for kompany. There was absolutely no way McNeil was getting to that ball before the keeper. 

Haven’t seen it I only watch bitters highlights when they lose . Same with both Manc clubs and Arsenal.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, The wanderer said:

Haven’t seen it I only watch bitters highlights when they lose . Same with both Manc clubs and Arsenal.

To give you an idea of just how bad a decision it was, Dermot Gallagher didn't even try to defend it on ref watch! All he said was the ref was screwed because the var didn't make him go to have a look. But as the ref was Oliver, who's supposedly told his colleagues not to question his decisions, then this is what we get. It's all a fucking joke. But Oliver should never have got it wrong in the first place, there was absolutely no way it was DOGSO, so you can't help but wonder if the ref is making that sort of call knowing the VAR will not question him. The VAR was that useless cunt Coote. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

To give you an idea of just how bad a decision it was, Dermot Gallagher didn't even try to defend it on ref watch! All he said was the ref was screwed because the var didn't make him go to have a look. But as the ref was Oliver, who's supposedly told his colleagues not to question his decisions, then this is what we get. It's all a fucking joke. But Oliver should never have got it wrong in the first place, there was absolutely no way it was DOGSO, so you can't help but wonder if the ref is making that sort of call knowing the VAR will not question him. The VAR was that useless cunt Coote. 

Have they said it was DOGSO? I've only seen a couple of angels and both focused on the tackle itself rather than the situation and it looked a clear red to me, high and wild.

Gallagher did this morning. 

Well he's an idiot. Looking at it again it's almost identical to Kompany v Mo, so at least Kompany got his eventual comeuppance. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Well he's an idiot. Looking at it again it's almost identical to Kompany v Mo, so at least Kompany got his eventual comeuppance. 

His opinion isn't the thing here, the refs (or Webb at least) tell him what everything was given for before he goes on. 

26 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Besides the challenge by casemiro, I thought he did very well. 

He didn't get involved and the game had a good flow

Quick with a couple of cards for our players though whereas the week previous in the City game he was letting all kinds go.

• Upvote 2

Caught up with MOTD, earlier. I thought the Wolves controversy was overblown. It shouldn’t have been given as offside and was a bad call, but having read Gary O’Neil’s comments I thought I was about to see a crime. 

4 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Caught up with MOTD, earlier. I thought the Wolves controversy was overblown. It shouldn’t have been given as offside and was a bad call, but having read Gary O’Neil’s comments I thought I was about to see a crime. 

I’m guessing it’s a result of the other shite calls they’ve had this season.

12 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I can see why that's given offside. But for me it's another illustration of we need to remove all of these subjective offsides from the game. If you're in an offside position when the ball is played forward, it's offside. It makes every offside a binary choice and can be decided by the lines on var if the lino doesn't work it out and never requires a point of view from any of them. Take the refs out of the equation and football becomes better. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can see why that's given offside. But for me it's another illustration of we need to remove all of these subjective offsides from the game. If you're in an offside position when the ball is played forward, it's offside. It makes every offside a binary choice and can be decided by the lines on var if the lino doesn't work it out and never requires a point of view from any of them. Take the refs out of the equation and football becomes better. 

No refs? That wont last long. 

'Here on Sky tonight 'Scrap of the Day.' Full match coverage of the 5 minute game between Millwall and West Ham at the Den.

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I didn’t have a problem with the Wolves decision, it was a case of reap what you sow. Put a man on the goalie with the sole intent of impeding him, you run the risk of getting caught offside. Tough titty, Wolves. 

11 minutes ago, DaveT said:

I didn’t have a problem with the Wolves decision, it was a case of reap what you sow. Put a man on the goalie with the sole intent of impeding him, you run the risk of getting caught offside. Tough titty, Wolves. 

Wolves goal was offside if its the one where the attacker is stood in front of the GK.

12 minutes ago, DaveT said:

but this is the problem making offside subjective. Take for example the one from the league cup final on endo. Quite rightly loads of our fans were saying "but that's what arsenal do on every set piece like that". But using your point of view that it's tough titty that the wolves player is off is kind of the same - in so much as endo was offside and moved back the way he did with the intention of gaining an advantage. but we give the referees, linos and VAR the tools to decide which ones they want to allow and which ones they don't. My view is they should all be offside. Endo, Wolves, the arsenal example. if you are in an offside position, you are just offside. they could even as a starting measure just make the penalty area a place where you cannot be in an offside position. just take the subjective decision making away from the referee team and put it down to where the lines are drawn. loads of this nonsense of standing on keepers toes, defenders trying to clear a ball because the forward is offside, which then makes him onside and countless other just disappear. 

but this is the problem making offside subjective. Take for example the one from the league cup final on endo. Quite rightly loads of our fans were saying "but that's what arsenal do on every set piece like that". But using your point of view that it's tough titty that the wolves player is off is kind of the same - in so much as endo was offside and moved back the way he did with the intention of gaining an advantage. but we give the referees, linos and VAR the tools to decide which ones they want to allow and which ones they don't. My view is they should all be offside. Endo, Wolves, the arsenal example. if you are in an offside position, you are just offside. they could even as a starting measure just make the penalty area a place where you cannot be in an offside position. just take the subjective decision making away from the referee team and put it down to where the lines are drawn. loads of this nonsense of standing on keepers toes, defenders trying to clear a ball because the forward is offside, which then makes him onside and countless other just disappear. 

Yeah, I’m fully on board with anything that minimises or eliminates any subjectivity….. it’s the grey, subjective areas which allow these fuckers to influence results or rationalise away clear errors. 

On 10/04/2024 at 16:41, Barrington Womble said:

Agree , offside should not be subjective but given how it  now appears, in some cases, to be subjective I think the call was wrong. I don’t think the Wolves player was interfering with play. The keeper could clearly see the ball but was never going to get near it.