You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Working in an office

Sugar Ape

I had a call with someone in real estate a week or so ago and we were talking about this and what we think the future looks like for offices.

general view was that the younger employees want to be back in the office more, for a few reasons, including the social life elements and going out for drinks after work etc, but also because they are the ones who gain most from the working alongside colleague as they build their careers.

theres definitely going to be a switch to more home working, but as has already been said, for many in shared houses or with small children or just without the space it’s just not ideal and those people will most likely want to be back at work, at least in the main.

10 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Everyone will have their own perspective, and maybe I'm unusual in this regard, but I don't like the idea of work encroaching into my home space. Home is a haven for me from all that shit. A place where I can be free. When I'm in the office, I'm their paid slave, but it ends when I leave the premises. I don't want to be oppressed in my own home.

You are right here. It was ok at first and is fine from time to time but even though it takes extra time commuting away from your life I'd rather work from work. Its very fuckng boring although I do get to play pop master on Radio 2 at half 10 every morning. 

We are back a week on week off. Half the office are in this week we are back next week. It all eventually has to return to normal and obviously the sooner better for everyone but I can't see it being right for another 12 months IMO. 

I work from home. I was looking for an office a few years back and ready to sign on the dotted line but Her Indoors fell ill and I needed to be around.

She's good now but I would like an office if only for the change of scenery and to chat with a other people.

28 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Not a fan of working from home at all, physical and mental health is proven to suffer from it over long periods, and I'm fairly certain if I didn't have to get dressed I wouldn't 

This. Its made me far more lethargic. I've got an open plan living/dining room so I finish work and walk about 10 yards to the couch. I actually look forward to walking to the shop. I should do more to motivate myself but I just can't be arsed. 

• Upvote 1

A bit of a half way house for some people might be one of these places where you can rent desk space by the hour, day, week etc..

I guess most wouldn’t want to pay, just to have somewhere to work, but there are people that do (mostly those who can claim it as a legitimate business expense).

Probably provides a change of scenery, a bit of social interaction for those into this kind of weirdness and opportunities for networking  (sorry - even writing that word made me want to be sick on my slippers).

There’s a guy who goes to the gym who often chats to me in the Sauna. Definitely one of those types who seeks out people to talk to, whatever the circumstances. He uses one, pays a monthly fee, comes and goes as he pleases. Keeps trying to get me to give it a try, which obviously I’d never do, in part because I wouldn’t want to run into him there. 

9 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

There’s a guy who goes to the gym who often chats to me in the Sauna. Definitely one of those types who seeks out people to talk to, whatever the circumstances. He uses one, pays a monthly fee, comes and goes as he pleases. Keeps trying to get me to give it a try, which obviously I’d never do, in part because I wouldn’t want to run into him there. 

Keep going 

46 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Not a fan of working from home at all, physical and mental health is proven to suffer from it over long periods, 

Has it? As I posted earlier in the thread, I've been working from home for over 7 years now (with a monthly trip to the office in non-virus ridden times). I'm far less stressed than I was when I had to commute every day, and I'm certainly a hell of a lot fitter. Rather than paying through the nose for the privilege of 2-3 hours travelling, I can spend an hour running, rowing or doing weights and the rest of the time is mine. It's clearly not for everyone, but it's been a massive benefit for me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mudface said:

Rather than paying through the nose for the privilege of 2-3 hours travelling, I can spend an hour running, rowing or doing weights and the rest of the time is mine. It's clearly not for everyone, but it's been a massive benefit for me.

You dont use the Sauna as well do you?

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Keep going 

Not my type, he’s about sixty, around eleven feet tall and talks too much. He did have a bird about half his age for a while. A baffling state of affairs as she was lovely. She clearly dumped him but according to him it was a ‘mutual decision’. 

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Has it? As I posted earlier in the thread, I've been working from home for over 7 years now (with a monthly trip to the office in non-virus ridden times). I'm far less stressed than I was when I had to commute every day, and I'm certainly a hell of a lot fitter. Rather than paying through the nose for the privilege of 2-3 hours travelling, I can spend an hour running, rowing or doing weights and the rest of the time is mine. It's clearly not for everyone, but it's been a massive benefit for me.

I'm fairly certain you'd be the exception rather than the rule, fair play though.

When I was gonna go self employed before this bollocks kicked off I was looking at shared office space, at least for part of the week. The regus style model is pretty good, free coffee, breakout areas and meeting rooms plus you're around other startups who could maybe throw work your way. If I was gomna do it again  I'd do maybe three days somewhere like that and two at home, but make sure to get my lunch out at least once a week or something. Being home all day then home all night in the week is shite.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I love it too. I don’t think Mudface is an exception, loads of people would rather work at home and I’d expect the majority would like to work from home at least some of the time. Maybe 2/3 days from home and the same in the office. 

As for it being bad for your mental health, that’s undoubtedly true for a lot people but the exact opposite for a lot of others. The key is giving people the choice and not assuming because you don’t like it and it doesn’t suit you then everyone else is the same. And vice versa. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

When I was gonna go self employed before this bollocks kicked off I was looking at shared office space, at least for part of the week. The regus style model is pretty good, free coffee, breakout areas and meeting rooms plus you're around other startups who could maybe throw work your way. If I was gomna do it again  I'd do maybe three days somewhere like that and two at home, but make sure to get my lunch out at least once a week or something. Being home all day then home all night in the week is shite.

Yeah, it's absolutely appalling finishing work at home but not actually leaving where you're working from. 

When I worked from home I used to do the stuff I needed to do in the morning. The rest of the day i'd fuck about on forums and watch tele or youtube stuff, the trick was to respond to calls emails or calls straight away so it at least looked like I was on the case.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, A Red said:

When I worked from home I used to do the stuff I needed to do in the morning. The rest of the day i'd fuck about on forums and watch tele or youtube stuff, the trick was to respond to calls emails or calls straight away so it at least looked like I was on the case.

I used to make sure my team, ideally including my line manager, overheard me say something along the lines of; “I’m going to work at home the next couple of days. I need to focus on finishing that report/task/budget/load of bollocks”.

In reality, I’d have already finished it so could spend a couple of days on the sofa watching box sets and eating crisps.

On reflection, this is probably one of the reasons my corporate career only went so far. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, A Red said:

At least you were getting your work done.

I guess it depends on your viewpoint - are you getting paid for how many hours you're working, or are you getting paid for finishing tasks to a high quality?