You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

7 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Even for the mail,that is truly jaw dropping. 

As if protesting about better pay is something to be ashamed of.

Poisonous fucking rag.

I bet you will find fuck all in there about the Tories ensuring those at the top get Even richer.

And if that guardian story is true starmer can fuck off aswell. 

Labour mps should have the right to support striking workers.

I'd argue that they should be encouraged to support striking workers.

But not my party anymore, so maybe I should keep my nose out.

9 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Labour mps should have the right to support striking workers.

They do. It's just his frontbenchers that needed to stay off of picket lines. Why? Front pages like that. I mean, we can sit here and scowl at that cunt rag as much as we want, but we'd be stupid to deny it has a big impact on people. That's a disastrous front page, and us sitting here thinking - rightly - that its fucking ridiculous doesn't actually change the impact it'll have. Do with think for a second they didn't know it was ridiculous when they did it?

How aren't Labour running with what the fuck happened to the test and trace money that dildo made disappear? Where is that money????? We know if an MP gets 12p expenses for an envelope so surely we should have a paper trail to tell us where 37 billion quid is? 

57 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

They do. It's just his frontbenchers that needed to stay off of picket lines. Why? Front pages like that. I mean, we can sit here and scowl at that cunt rag as much as we want, but we'd be stupid to deny it has a big impact on people. That's a disastrous front page, and us sitting here thinking - rightly - that its fucking ridiculous doesn't actually change the impact it'll have. Do with think for a second they didn't know it was ridiculous when they did it?

But the people who look at that headline and are fully on board with it...

You are never going to get onside. 

Let's be honest if you think mps supporting a strike should be named and shamed,you are a fucking cunt.

And if starmer does want to reach out to that demographic ,in the process he could very well lose people who aee fully supportive of what those mps did.

21 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

But the people who look at that headline and are fully on board with it...

You are never going to get onside. 

Let's be honest if you think mps supporting a strike should be named and shamed,you are a fucking cunt.

And if starmer does want to reach out to that demographic ,in the process he could very well lose people who aee fully supportive of what those mps did.

It’s so broader than that, mate. The readers of the Mail, The Sun, and others are quite often people that either don’t know any better, are too preoccupied with their day to day to worry about the circus is Westminster. That’s why the major thing that wins elections is the perception of competence, because people go into the voting booth and vote for people who at a glance think will be alright. They go in and if they think ‘Labour, credit card, can’t afford…’ they’ll vote Tory. There’s alway going to be a certain amount of people who don’t care either way and will always vote for one or the other, but the. There’s this middle group who do get swung by shit like that. If it wasn’t vital, the parties wouldn’t do so much to convince the likes of Murdoch and Dacre to support them. 

19 hours ago, Duff Man said:

I've quite enjoyed Mick Lynch's media appearances, taking absolutely no shit at all from the hacks.

It's also highlighted how shit TV hosts and interviewers are. Proper Alan Partridge quality. It also shows how they're not used to straight, honest answers - they get all flustered and panicky then because they're not sure where to go they just start aggressively talking over him. 

Mick Lynch has been a hero. 

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Why is that a disastrous front page? It's the daily mail and they've put up a picture of Labour Mps supporting workers on a legitimate picket line..

Every Labour leader has been pictured on a picket line. Starmer said himself he was at Wapping. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

His face was a picture when Starmer had a dig at him in PMQs earlier. 

Haven't seen PMQs in a while, I was just laughing at this on his wiki page though :

Shapps's use of the names Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath and Sebastian Fox attracted controversy in 2012. He denied having used a pseudonym after entering parliament and, in 2014, threatened legal action against a constituent who had stated on Facebook that he had. In February 2015 he told LBC Radio presenter Shelagh Fogarty, "Let me get this absolutely clear... I don't have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story."

However, in March 2015, Shapps admitted to having had a second job while being an MP, and practising business under a pseudonym. In his admission, he stated that he had "over-firmly denied" having a second job. Under the name Michael Green, Shapps had offered customers a "get-rich-quick scheme" costing $497, and promised customers a "toolkit" that would earn them $20,000 in 20 days, provided they followed its instructions.

9 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s so broader than that, mate. The readers of the Mail, The Sun, and others are quite often people that either don’t know any better, are too preoccupied with their day to day to worry about the circus is Westminster. That’s why the major thing that wins elections is the perception of competence, because people go into the voting booth and vote for people who at a glance think will be alright. They go in and if they think ‘Labour, credit card, can’t afford…’ they’ll vote Tory. There’s alway going to be a certain amount of people who don’t care either way and will always vote for one or the other, but the. There’s this middle group who do get swung by shit like that. If it wasn’t vital, the parties wouldn’t do so much to convince the likes of Murdoch and Dacre to support them. 

I get they need to appeal to a broader church I just worry at what cost.

Generally if you are annoying daily mail readers, you are doing something right.

34 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I get they need to appeal to a broader church I just worry at what cost.

Generally if you are annoying daily mail readers, you are doing something right.

I get where you’re coming from, looking at it from my perspective of just one bloke, I agree; they’re generally twats. Looking at it another way, if any Labour leader looks at the readership of any of these major ‘newsbrands‘ that way they are grossly negligent, if they are okay with annoying them what we are really saying is ‘alienate millions and millions of voters’, which doesn’t make sense for anybody looking to win a popularity contests where each vote counts the same. 

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I get where you’re coming from, looking at it from my perspective of just one bloke, I agree; they’re generally twats. Looking at it another way, if any Labour leader looks at the readership of any of these major ‘newsbrands‘ that way they are grossly negligent, if they are okay with annoying them what we are really saying is ‘alienate millions and millions of voters’, which doesn’t make sense for anybody looking to win a popularity contests where each vote counts the same. 

Bit like I say though isn't that alienating the millions of people who wouldn't touch the daily mail with a barge pole?

I think I said the other day ,one of Labours biggest problems s that their core support has now splintered.

You have probably now got traditional lefty/Union types and the red wall fucwits who have drifted over to that cunt.

I genuinely don't know how you bridge that gap..and I think ironically tuats the problem corbyn had.

Just now, Arniepie said:

Bit like I say though isn't that alienating the millions of people who wouldn't touch the daily mail with a barge pole?

I

Not in my view. There’s a really big difference in bot alienating or setting out to annoy a group, and building yourself around their support. If they did the latter, then they would alienate others. Labour need to carry voters from all over the place to be in with a chance. If you take the combined readership of newsbrands, meaning online and print, of the Mail, Sun, Express, and others like that, you’ve got such a ticking massive group of people. Scared numbers according to the official figures from PAMco. Now, not everyone who goes on those sites or read those papers gives a shot about politics, many do vote though. So avoiding them is a good play, then appealing to them elsewhere whilst chipping away at their view of the Tories is potentially a big deal. 

Labour also need to up their game on social media, especially stuff like TikTok. Starmer could be doing weekly stuff on YouTube. Labour could be going mad with smart infographics. The message needs to get across why these Tories are so bad, but the ideas and principles behind it are lost. It’s a pure popularity contest rather than winning over people on issues. 

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not in my view. There’s a really big difference in bot alienating or setting out to annoy a group, and building yourself around their support. If they did the latter, then they would alienate others. Labour need to carry voters from all over the place to be in with a chance. If you take the combined readership of newsbrands, meaning online and print, of the Mail, Sun, Express, and others like that, you’ve got such a ticking massive group of people. Scared numbers according to the official figures from PAMco. Now, not everyone who goes on those sites or read those papers gives a shot about politics, many do vote though. So avoiding them is a good play, then appealing to them elsewhere whilst chipping away at their view of the Tories is potentially a big deal. 

Labour also need to up their game on social media, especially stuff like TikTok. Starmer could be doing weekly stuff on YouTube. Labour could be going mad with smart infographics. The message needs to get across why these Tories are so bad, but the ideas and principles behind it are lost. It’s a pure popularity contest rather than winning over people on issues. 

We just had an election down here.  At one point during the campaign inflation was announced at 5.1%, the Labo(u)r leader (Albo) was asked if he thought that the minimum wage should rise by the same amount and he just said "Yes".

The PM (Scomo) was all over it, calling him reckless on the economy, saying business couldn't afford it, it would cost jobs, etc.  It was seen by the professional political commentariat as a risky move, and the Murdoch media was on full on anti-Labour propaganda activities for months. 

In the end it turned out that people were quite positive about getting a pay rise after a decade of real wage reduction and it was a big turning point in the campaign.  So we've now got a Prime Minister who was brought up in a council flat by a single mother on benefits and who is mates with Billy Bragg.

Sometimes you have to stop being a dick, say what you believe in and it turns out voters quite like it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

We just had an election down here.  At one point during the campaign inflation was announced at 5.1%, the Labo(u)r leader (Albo) was asked if he thought that the minimum wage should rise by the same amount and he just said "Yes".

The PM (Scomo) was all over it, calling him reckless on the economy, saying business couldn't afford it, it would cost jobs, etc.  It was seen by the professional political commentariat as a risky move, and the Murdoch media was on full on anti-Labour propaganda activities for months. 

In the end it turned out that people were quite positive about getting a pay rise after a decade of real wage reduction and it was a big turning point in the campaign.  So we've now got a Prime Minister who was brought up in a council flat by a single mother on benefits and who is mates with Billy Bragg.

Sometimes you have to stop being a dick, say what you believe in and it turns out voters quite like it. 

Giving people more money does tend to be something they like, but we can’t ignore the power of media over the electorate either. There’s a balance 

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Giving people more money does tend to be something they like, but we can’t ignore the power of media over the electorate either. There’s a balance 

Keeping the minimum wage in line with inflation isn't "giving people more money", it's keeping them at the same level.  

If a Labour Party can't even defend that in the court of public opinion after a decade of real wage decreases and rank government incompetence they are totally fucked.  Triangulating themselves to death so that no-one has a clue what they stand for.

Good well paid jobs, good healthcare, stop the Tory corruption.  Easy fucking peasy.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jose Jones said:

Keeping the minimum wage in line with inflation isn't "giving people more money", it's keeping them at the same level.  

If a Labour Party can't even defend that in the court of public opinion after a decade of real wage decreases and rank government incompetence they are totally fucked.  Triangulating themselves to death so that no-one has a clue what they stand for.

Good well paid jobs, good healthcare, stop the Tory corruption.  Easy fucking peasy.  

Yeah I understand how inflation works, my general point is an increase (from baseline) in money in people’s pockets isn’t ever going to be wildly unpopular with the electorate. And they said it a million times here. Including over the rail strike. None of this speaks to my wider point, which is the importance of the media and the importance of trying to win votes from areas you didn’t read previously when suffering a devastating loss. Alienating large parts of the electorate isn’t a good idea. That isn’t me saying, as some seem to be reading, Labour should go full Tory and stop saying anything. It’s mid-cycle, and he can’t win an election right now, he can probably lose it though. 

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Excellent. I find the English Labour Party's unwillingness to look and learn from the success of other left wing political parties frustrating.