You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Have we ever broken our transfer record in the first week of the window and tabled a bid over 50 m?

That experience?

I keep seeing transfer record broken quoted verbatim like it's some badge of honour.

TV revenue for finishing in the premier league has doubled since 9 years ago and Champions League money doubled. This isn't even mentioning numerous sponsorship deals and increased stadium.

So I would say it's a suprise it hasn't been broken several times since 2010. Especially as FSG aim was to compete with Barca and Real Madrid not be overtaken by Tottenham.

Let's not forget we have sold Suarez for 70 odd million and Sterling for 50 odd million.

• Upvote 3

Speculation on my part - but I think we will get VVD. I think we have to be very careful at the moment - after the earlier fuck up.

We'll see.

I'd be very happy with VVD, what I won't be happy with is this taking all summer, him not signing and the Echo announcing Klopp thinks Gomez can force his way into the England squad.

Rafa's biggest weakness was signing 5 or 6 players every summer and hoping they would gel quick enough to make us challengers,it didn't work and instead it was the longer stayers who regularly got us out of the shit. It appears Klopp is almost the opposite of this and worries that too many new faces can undo the good things that have happened. Some may say he's 'too loyal' but that fault brought an improvement to many players last season,Mignolet and Lallana to name but two,so Klopp's way has plenty of merit too.

We'll see.

I'd be very happy with VVD, what I won't be happy with is this taking all summer, him not signing and the Echo announcing Klopp thinks Gomez can force his way into the England squad.

Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't be happy with that either. 

They broke it in the first transfer window they had! 

They're not City, or Chelsea, United. Our problem has been who we've bought not what we have spent. 

Who you buy is dictated as much by the wages you are prepared to pay in a lot of instances. Dele Alli says hi. FSG have not been prepared to take risks in this area and have been far too rigid.

So stop making excuses for the owners. This is their 14th transfer window we have enough evidence how they operate. Their results can be measured by our lack of trophy's and poorest consecutive league finishes in generations and our dumbing down of expectations.

• Upvote 2

Who you buy is dictated as much by the wages you are prepared to pay in a lot of instances. Dele Alli says hi. FSG have not been prepared to take risks in this area and have been far too rigid.

So stop making excuses for the owners. This is their 14th transfer window we have enough evidence how they operate. Their results can be measured by our lack of trophy's and poorest consecutive league finishes in generations and our dumbing down of expectations.

Correlation and causation mate! You seem to be convinced FSG lead to this - they never. This started in 92. You can't throw terms around like 'poorest consecutive league finishes' around without referencing the damage the parasites did on us, and the shift in balance with first Chelsea, then City. 

Every player from last year - were bought by FSG, so they are doing something right - without excelling. Dele Ali is one player, Gomez, Can, Coutinho, Sturridge out weigh missing out on him surely? 

They've been cunts on the stadium, and they can fuck off on the incessant merchandising - but, they have given enough money for us to have done a lot better. 

Guest Alex_K

You seem to be convinced FSG lead to this - they never. This started in 92.

3 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, UEFA Cup, European Cup and a couple of Charity Shields/Super Cups between 1992 & 2006.

1 League Cup between 2006 & 2017.

Did it fuck start in 1992.

3 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, UEFA Cup, European Cup and a couple of Charity Shields/Super Cups between 1992 & 2006.

I grew up on league championships mate! 

As a given. Sorry mate, but not including charity shields or super cups. 

It started in 92. Compare those years to the previous 20 and then tell me it didn't start in 92. As said, you can't just say FSG since 2010 and ignore the rest,  including the state of the club. 

Our wage bill was about  £90m in 2010, it is over £200m now! 

I'd also add that of those 8 trophies in 18 years, 3 were in the same year! And we were one of the richest, and biggest clubs until 2004 and Abromovich. 

Just a wild guess but I bet there is no announcement today about signing Keita

As Klopp would say, we could have a long sleep as nothing happens today.

Cheeky bugger, I was up at 630am.

And all I got for my early start was some idiot on Talksport telling me "Klopp wasnt worried"- this was repeated approx every 20mins as part of the stations transfer updates.

Needless to say I resorted to a bit of ClassicFM for a period of reflection and calm.

• Upvote 1

Rafa's biggest weakness was signing 5 or 6 players every summer and hoping they would gel quick enough to make us challengers,it didn't work and instead it was the longer stayers who regularly got us out of the shit. It appears Klopp is almost the opposite of this and worries that too many new faces can undo the good things that have happened. Some may say he's 'too loyal' but that fault brought an improvement to many players last season,Mignolet and Lallana to name but two,so Klopp's way has plenty of merit too.

Was Klopp loyal to Mignolet? Bringing in a replacement, who needed to stink the league out before swapping the pair again.

Guest Alex_K
It started in 92. Compare those years to the previous 20 and then tell me it didn't start in 92. As said, you can't just say FSG since 2010 and ignore the rest,  including the state of the club. 

Our wage bill was about  £90m in 2010, it is over £200m now! 

I'd also add that of those 8 trophies in 18 years, 3 were in the same year! And we were one of the richest, and biggest clubs until 2004 and Abromovich. 

Keep digging.

I'm not FSG's biggest fan, but our main title challenge (and we blew it) since 1992 came in 2014.

In terms of domestic cups, recent managers, Klopp included, have intentionally sacrificed them by playing reserves who aren't good enough.

The club has been badly run for a long time, but every now and then we luck out with the emergence of an Owen or Gerrard, a signing like Suarez or a manager like Benitez or Klopp and this papers over the cracks for a while.

• Upvote 1

I'm not FSG's biggest fan, but our main title challenge (and we blew it) since 1992 came in 2014.

In terms of domestic cups, recent managers, Klopp included, have intentionally sacrificed them by playing reserves who aren't good enough.

The club has been badly run for a long time, but every now and then we luck out with the emergence of an Owen or Gerrard, a signing like Suarez or a manager like Benitez or Klopp and this papers over the cracks for a while.

I agree. Looking back - I'd say Noel White started it, that cunt had the temerity to question Kenny, and that was it. 

Guest Alex_K

I agree. Looking back - I'd say Noel White started it, that cunt had the temerity to question Kenny, and that was it. 

I mean, you could say that, but you've already established you're a moron. The fact that a universally unprecedented period of domestic success in the 70s & 80s was not continued unabated into the 90s and early 2000s does not preclude us from having success in those years.

We won more European trophies in the 90s and 2000s than Everton & Arsenal (the next most successful domestic clubs) have in their history. Under FSG we have been a tin can club with a ceaselessly ramshackle, under-invested squad where -- relatively speaking -- the bar has been set no higher than at Everton, who are derided. Next step is for the fans to come down to that level too it seems. Sad to see.

I mean, you could say that, but you've already established you're a moron. The fact that a universally unprecedented period of domestic success in the 70s & 80s was not continued unabated into the 90s and early 2000s does not preclude us from having success in those years.

We won more European trophies in the 90s and 2000s than Everton & Arsenal (the next most successful domestic clubs) have in their history. Under FSG we have been a tin can club where -- relatively speaking -- the bar has been set no higher than at Everton, who are derided. Next step is for the fans to come down to that level too it seems. Sad to see.

Haha - thank you!

When i've recovered from my burns, any chance you could spend a few minutes explaining what a 'tin can' club is? 

Signings are designed to either make or break a player and I think Karius signing actually made Mignolet up his game significantly with a 4.5 million outlay.

The howlers dried up and he played with some more confidence than before - that was also the case for a few more of our mediocre players as the fixtures improved into spring.

The fear for me is that winter is coming.

• Upvote 1

Bollocks, we used to have some decorum now we have non whatsoever, just look at their dealings, Rafa deserves more credit for Coutinho than them, he recommended him to us when at Inter!!

Our biggest Challenge came because of one man!! anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. (and they tried to low ball that deal, and it was an old scout who recommended him!!)

Whose idea was it to get Balotelli? was it a football one? 

Our revenue is at it's highest ever, year on year that has grown our football squad hasn't.

Subjective though mate! Steve Bruce, and quite a few others would have a go at Rafa for class (they were wrong and a load of crap) - but quite a few Liverpool fans who wanted him gone agreed with them! Not sure why an opinion based on no facts is bollocks!

So lets leave Coutinho out then - are you saying there isn't fair few success stories? I think we have improved on that side - maybe not enough. 

Does it matter about Balotelli? Who bought Bellamy? Pennant? Morientes? Who bought Caroll? Cole? Can we not accept that all managers buy shite? 

As I said a little bit earlier - our wage bill has double in the last 10 years, so that has to be taken into account if you are going to mention revenue. 

• Upvote 1

As Klopp would say, we could have a long sleep as nothing happens today.

Cheeky bugger, I was up at 630am.

And all I got for my early start was some idiot on Talksport telling me "Klopp wasnt worried"- this was repeated approx every 20mins as part of the stations transfer updates.

Needless to say I resorted to a bit of ClassicFM for a period of reflection and calm.

Essential in these times of rolling news that radio stations tell you every few minutes there is fuck all news