You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I'll get on the Keita bus too. Sign him up Jurgen. Sell Can.

Now we need a top central defender too, then another winger, and depending on how things shape up, perhaps a striker, goalkeeper and left back.

But sign me up for Keita. We've needed someone like this for a while.

For those who know better than me, what's he like as a player in comparison to Kessie?

• Upvote 2

Hart/Handanovich

Keiran Tierney

Van Djik

Kieta

Brandt

Dembele/Iheanacho

That seems like an fairly realistic group of players for Liverpool FC to target. Upgrades in goal and cb and a young lb to work with. A big buy in midfield is exactly what is needed. Young forwards for Kloppo to mould. Could have had most of these at a fraction of what they'll cost last year.

Hart- Loan fee

Tierney- fuck knows

Van Djik-£25m

Kieta- £12m

Brandt- wasn't there a rumoured release clause?

Dembele- Tribunal fee.

We'll probably pick up one of them and try and box clever whilst the next wave of Kietas and Dembeles and Van Djik go to teams we're bank rolling.

We preach about youth and potential but even at that stage in their careers Liverpool still has to pay a premium in wages and offer up key roles to fend off other parties. We'll pay good money for youth but are too afraid of getting stung on wages. It's why we end up with tosh like Markovich but baluk at Salah etc.

Hart/Handanovich

Keiran Tierney

Van Djik

Kieta

Brandt

Dembele/Iheanacho

That seems like an fairly realistic group of players for Liverpool FC to target. Upgrades in goal and cb and a young lb to work with. A big buy in midfield is exactly what is needed. Young forwards for Kloppo to mould. Could have had most of these at a fraction of what they'll cost last year.

Hart- Loan fee

Tierney- fuck knows

Van Djik-£25m

Kieta- £12m

Dembele- Tribunal fee.

We'll probably pick up one of them and try and box clever whilst the next wave of Kietas and Dembeles and Van Djik go to teams we're bank rolling.

We preach about youth and potential but even at that stage in their careers Liverpool still has to pay a premium in wages and offer up key roles to fend off other parties. We'll pay good money for youth but are too afraid of getting stung on wages. It's why we end up with tosh like Markovich but baluk at Salah etc.

They would sort us and let us offload some deadwood. Tierney is a great shout. Boss little player.

I'll get on the Keita bus too. Sign him up Jurgen. Sell Can.

Now we need a top central defender too, then another winger, and depending on how things shape up, perhaps a striker, goalkeeper and left back.

But sign me up for Keita. We've needed someone like this for a while.

For those who know better than me, what's he like as a player in comparison to Kessie?

This is just me speaking, and my man-crush on Keita is already on show here, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but for me Kessie is quite overrated.

He's not rubbish, it's just that if you look at his stats he had a run of really good finishing (usually something that's down more to luck than talent) this season, particularly early, and that got people hyping him up more than he's worth.  I've watched him twice and came away both times with an impression of "meh."

In terms of a Keita-Kessie comparison I think Keita's real value is that he can do everything.  That's what I meant with the Gerrard comparison earlier.  He's outstanding at eating up space defensively, which is what we really miss, and this is probably the area he stands out over Kessie the most.  I will say that Kessie, especially for a young player, is really really strong and has good balance. 

Paredes is going to be on the move this summer, so if we can't pry Keita away from Leipzig (which will be down to the player more than anything; Leipzig have plenty of money and they certainly won't want him to go) then I'd be happy to put in a big offer for him and try to convince him to come here over some of the big Italian sides.  He would definitely be my plan B well ahead of Kessie.

• Upvote 2

Hart/Handanovich

Keiran Tierney

Van Djik

Kieta

Brandt

Dembele/Iheanacho

Hart- Loan fee

Tierney- fuck knows

Van Djik-£25m

Kieta- £12m

Dembele- Tribunal fee.

You're going to need to double those fees on Van Dijk and Keita.

That's what the valuations were at the start of the season according to speculation and actual transfers. That lot would cost the best part of £150m now. The point I'm making is we're left holding our dicks again whilst inferior teams out fox us in the transfer market. Had we thrown £30k a week more than RBL were offering at Keita there's no way he's turning us down. Where as we'd happily over pay by £10m on fees but never on wages.

We won't do £150m worth of business even though we could. Every one of those players improves us in some way and fills gaps we need filling. They're not even worldies but at least half of those players will be priced out of our reach or move to different clubs should we pursue them.

This is just me speaking, and my man-crush on Keita is already on show here, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but for me Kessie is quite overrated.

He's not rubbish, it's just that if you look at his stats he had a run of really good finishing (usually something that's down more to luck than talent) this season, particularly early, and that got people hyping him up more than he's worth.  I've watched him twice and came away both times with an impression of "meh."

In terms of a Keita-Kessie comparison I think Keita's real value is that he can do everything.  That's what I meant with the Gerrard comparison earlier.  He's outstanding at eating up space defensively, which is what we really miss, and this is probably the area he stands out over Kessie the most.  I will say that Kessie, especially for a young player, is really really strong and has good balance. 

Paredes is going to be on the move this summer, so if we can't pry Keita away from Leipzig (which will be down to the player more than anything; Leipzig have plenty of money and they certainly won't want him to go) then I'd be happy to put in a big offer for him and try to convince him to come here over some of the big Italian sides.  He would definitely be my plan B well ahead of Kessie.

Cheers for the info, repped.

I like the sound of that - can do everything, but also covers a lot of ground seems like a great fit for us. At times we've looked short in the middle and had team play though us but if we have someone who can be a bit like Kante, everywhere mopping up danger, plus the added aspects you mention, sounds like we should go in for him in a big way.

For those who know the game and the players better than I do, what players are there now who we should buy? Players who, in a year's time, we will be saying, "We could have had them a year ago for £X million..." Who are these players now?

I'm only asking because it's always easier to go back a year and say, "We should have signed so and so" and we do this with the benefit of watching their big breakout season, but the truth is plenty of players also don't kick on, for whatever reason.

A while ago I was saying we should sign Breel Embolo. He moved for a price we could have matched or bettered, but then he got a bad injury! So I don't know and I'm not very good at predicting! I also suspect that had we gone for Dembele from Fulham, a lot of fans would have considered him too raw and unproven, whereas a season scoring in a Scotland seems to be bringing him to everyone's attention now, at a high price, but I'm personally unconvinced, as goals in Scotland are a bit like dog years... seven to every one, or something like that!

Anyway, I digress, but who are the sure thing (or as near as we can tell) reasonably priced players, who are going to go on to be excellent, who are yet to fully hit the big time, and thus we can now sign them at a relatively reasonable price?

For those who know the game and the players better than I do, what players are there now who we should buy? Players who, in a year's time, we will be saying, "We could have had them a year ago for £X million..." Who are these players now?

I'm only asking because it's always easier to go back a year and say, "We should have signed so and so" and we do this with the benefit of watching their big breakout season, but the truth is plenty of players also don't kick on, for whatever reason.

A while ago I was saying we should sign Breel Embolo. He moved for a price we could have matched or bettered, but then he got a bad injury! So I don't know and I'm not very good at predicting! I also suspect that had we gone for Dembele from Fulham, a lot of fans would have considered him too raw and unproven, whereas a season scoring in a Scotland seems to be bringing him to everyone's attention now, at a high price, but I'm personally unconvinced, as goals in Scotland are a bit like dog years... seven to every one, or something like that!

Anyway, I digress, but who are the sure thing (or as near as we can tell) reasonably priced players, who are going to go on to be excellent, who are yet to fully hit the big time, and thus we can now sign them at a relatively reasonable price?

It's a good point mate but that's what we pay scouts to do, there's always a 2nd division player somewhere who can fit into a team seamlessly like Kante did but it's there job to identify them. I suspect that we like other big teams know about these players but want them to develop somewhere else first before buying them for a dearer price. Who's to say that if say Chelsea bought Kante first and he didn't play at all last year he'd be the same player.

When was the last time one of the big 6 bought a Kante? Or a Van Djik or even a Lovren who moved to Southampton as a sort of stepping stone, saying that a Mane? Could have had Mane 3 years ago for £10m. Obviously these players are on our and others radars but we don't really go for them until they are proven at this level.

Francois Kamano at Bordeaux. Really quick winger who can finish, 20 years old. Would be a good Mane backup and would probably cost about 10m.

Also, I would bet that Simeone's son will end up being a top player and I don't think he would cost much right now, but I think Diego will sign him at some point.