You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who do you want to win the tory leadership contest?

lifetime fan

Leadsom is absolutely frightening piece of work. At first I thought she'd been put in it just so May could win against someone invaluable. Now I'm worried all the middle England, Daily Mail readers see her as a cipher and we'll end up with the most inexperience prime minister in centuries. I don't care that she's religious but I don't want it impacting on any part of her political life.

She cant can she? I thought it needed an act of Parliament?

Nobody seems to know for certain. People who want to remain are pushing for an Act of Parliament because the referendum was non-binding. But there appears to be nothing specific requiring one.

If Leadsom pulls out:

1 - Theresa May could become prime minister very soon, perhaps even later today.

2 - May could be confirmed as party leader, but with David Cameron staying on for perhaps a few more weeks.

3 - The Conservative party board could decide to allow another candidate to enter. It would almost certainly be Michael Gove, who came third. The board could take the view that members are entitled to a choice between a leave candidate and a remain candidate.

The Guardian Live report ticker thingy.

Andrea Leadsom is expected to pull out of the two-way contest to become the next Conservative Party leader and UK prime minister, the BBC understands.

A source close to the energy minister said "the abuse has been too great".

Mrs Leadsom was up against Home Secretary Theresa May in the race to succeed David Cameron as prime minister.

She apologised to Mrs May on Monday after suggesting being a mother made her a better candidate for the job.

She could have spun this to say that the establishment was to blame, childless women were to blame, immigrants were to blame or better yet, Corbyn is entirely responsible for all of this. Now all she appears is gutless and people were going to vote for her.

Leadsom would be a disaster for this country, not sure the country could take two in one year. Hopefully this is true.

I agree completely. I don't think she was ever going to get in, though. I'm actually thinking this whole race is for a stooge PM who'll take the flak for enacting A50 and pushing on with Brexit.