You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

39 minutes ago, Paul said:

Leaving aside all the factionalism and personalities, in my view the move away from big tent politics towards monocultures in the two main parties is extremely worrying. In a democracy, politics must be about compromise or else nothing will ever get done. Therefore to kick people out of the party simply on trivial grounds is a huge mistake and ultimately bad for the country. 

Amen to that.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

"If he had any plums he would walk away from a challenge."

compute-the-jetsons.gif

I have great respect for JC. Honest man of principals.

He knows what is a stake here and is putting his own interests above those of the greater good. He could have simply had a discussion out of view and decided to walk away. The top top priority is to get rid of this lot end off. His simple presence makes that more difficult and he is intelligent enough to realize that. Sometimes you need to fall on your sword for the good of the Party

Are people really naive enough to think the Tories, and their mates in the media, wouldn't have weaponised Corbyn again at the next GE? Whether it would have stuck is another matter (I think it would, look how this is being picked up by the right when previously they were disgusted at Corbyn's presence in the Labour Party), but don't kid yourselves that this wouldn't have reared it's ugly head again one way or another. 

Starmer has always been a bit shit and he shares the blame but I'm appalled that Corbyn appears to be putting himself and his principles above the good of the country and it's poorest people. He was supposed to be better than that, wasn't he?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Amen to that.

Just think that being up front about points of principle would be popular with the electorate. People are sick of the populist bullshit and want integrity again. Starmer could call out Corbyn on all manner of things while still making the point that the Labour Party is a big tent in which he can be included. It’s a sign of strength to encourage dissent, not weakness. 

I also feel that Labour needs to take on the right wing press like the Australian Labour Party did so successfully last (?) year. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Just think that being up front about points of principle would be popular with the electorate. People are sick of the populist bullshit and want integrity again. Starmer could call out Corbyn on all manner of things while still make the point that the Labour Party is a big tent in which he can be included. 

I also feel that Labour needs to take on the right wing press like the Australian Labour Party did so successfully last (?) year. 

You're presuming that British democracy hasn't become a massive charade, with both parties acting on behalf of the same interests.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

We had that in 2010, it didn't end well...

Labour really need to grow a pair if that get any sort of working majority and introduce sweeping constitutional changes- proper proportional representation, abolish the HoL and have a directly elected second chamber and for fuck's sake start downgrading the monarchy to a purely ceremonial role. When the Tories are in, they act like they're born to rule and do what they want to. Labour always seem so timid and cowardly.

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Yeah, a hung parliament and the resulting paralysis and political turmoil following 13 years of Tory mismanagement is just what this country and its poor really need. 

Starmer seems like a Tory anyway. It's not going to be a hung parliament either by the looks of it so we're due for Starmer's authoritarian shite to spread from the Labour party to the country.

And voting for shit like this constantly just kicks the can further down the road. There's no real change and people will still be screwed over unless there's a new party that actually cares about people and can defeat Labour, a real change in Labour or a different voting system.

We can vote for lesser evils forever but all it does is doom all of us and future generations. If Labour doesn't change, splitting the vote fears might eventually have to be discarded so that there's the chance of having a genuinely decent party to vote for.

People go on about how Corbyn changed nothing too. He did change something big, he started waking the country up to the fact that things could actually change for the better and he gave real hope for the future. That's why they're still going after him and it's why he still lives rent free in the heads of so many.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

People go on about how Corbyn changed nothing too. He did change something big, he started waking the country up to the fact that things could actually change for the better and he gave real hope for the future. That's why they're still going after him and it's why he still lives rent free in the heads of so many.

True.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Starmer seems like a Tory anyway. It's not going to be a hung parliament either by the looks of it so we're due for Starmer's authoritarian shite to spread from the Labour party to the country.

And voting for shit like this constantly just kicks the can further down the road. There's no real change and people will still be screwed over unless there's a new party that actually cares about people and can defeat Labour, a real change in Labour or a different voting system.

We can vote for lesser evils forever but all it does is doom all of us and future generations. If Labour doesn't change, splitting the vote fears might eventually have to be discarded so that there's the chance of having a genuinely decent party to vote for.

But you think it might not be too bad if there were a hung parliament because you think there's nothing really between the two parties, whereas I would love a big Labour victory because I think there's a gulf between the two parties. Labour might be to the right of where they should be, but guess what, so are the Tories. So are the electorate. I'm looking at the world as I think it is, and dealing with it accordingly, not how I would like it to be.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Corbyn lost two elections. That's more than most political leaders get, and certainly more than most left-leaning leaders of major political parties get. What hope has he given people really? I don't see many leftists with hope right now. I see disillusionment with the way things are, reflected in your own posts here. Which would be a fair view, TBF, because the left are now further away from power than they were in 2015. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

What hope has he given people really? I don't see many leftists with hope right now. I see disillusionment with the way things are, reflected in your own posts here. Which would be a fair view, TBF, because the left are now further away from power than they were in 2015. 

Yeah I don't think there's much hope right now either. That wasn't the case for a while when Corbyn was leader though. It's taken a while for the establishment to try and wipe that out and they're still going for it. People can say hope isn't enough too and agreed, it can be powerful though and Labour had a real chance of winning until loads of fraud Labour mp's staged a coup and we had the antisemitism stuff and all of the other crap. Even The Guardian were going at him as he was trying to win his first leadership contest and they carried on until he was gone.

I don't think Starmer would deal too well with that type of crap against him either for years on end but he likes Davos and is probably going to be a lot more corporate friendly so things are easier for him. Like many have said, Corbyn was too kind and didn't call out the shit against him for too long, that was one of his biggest errors.

3 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I have great respect for JC. Honest man of principals.

He knows what is a stake here and is putting his own interests above those of the greater good. He could have simply had a discussion out of view and decided to walk away. The top top priority is to get rid of this lot end off. His simple presence makes that more difficult and he is intelligent enough to realize that. Sometimes you need to fall on your sword for the good of the Party

I doubt the election is going to be decided by 1 seat tbf

8 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

It would be pretty funny if Labour were one short of a majority and Corbyn won as an independent.

And then joined up with a resurgent Johnson to install a Tory- Corbyn government, saying, 'I've worked for decades in politics for a pittance, now's the time I make some real money'.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1