You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gomez and Clyne

AngryOfTuebrook

I said all summer Clyne would be our best signing, some where saying he's not great defensively but as we've seen since he's been here it's rare for a player to get past him.

Since the first game I've seen from Gomez in the prem I've thought he has the potential to be world class, I haven't seen many 18 year olds as good as him on the ball and defensively, he's had no issues getting used to the prem either.

I too have been impressed.

The problem with Johnson in particular was not his undoubted attacking prowess, but his failure to concentrate on his defensive duties, and his inability to perform them consistently.

I will be very happy with two full backs who defend well.

Johnson was shit going forward, cut inside onto left foot and sky it over the bar, just run into an opposition player and lose it or hit a cross against an opposition defender. Generally followed by him not bothering his arse to get back and try to defend it.

Now and again he'd actually somehow hit one properly with his left and that was used as some kind of justification for him being "good" going forward.

The fact we paid so much for him is still hugely indicative of how shit out transfers have been for many a year.

• Upvote 3

It always works better for young full backs to play out of position and on their weaker side

Whenever he gets the ball, he has to come inside and that gives him so many more options than just going down the touch line. He can either go back to the CBs or look for a CM rather than the LW

Very impressed by him

Disagree with that a bit. It depends what you need the fullback to do. 

It's harder to pass to the CB on your weaker side. The ball on to the CB is infinitely easier for the outside foot from the fullback, so the left foot for a left back and vice versa. It allows them to cut it back and across themselves in a natural manner without pivoting. For a right footed LB, in order for him to use his stronger foot and pass to the CB he'd have to turn at least 90 degrees or clip it with the outside of his boot.

It does however make it easier for him to cut inside and hit the CM with passes, and being right footed if he misses it's more likely to bend and go long than square off and expose the defence.

It's looking like a smart use of Gomez.

• Upvote 1

Lou Diamond Philips?

Just need to find roles for Corbin Bernsen and Jimmy Smits then we're cooking with gas.

Kevin Costner as Brendan. It's a shiny teeth thing.

Clyne played a huge part in us being so dominant in the first half. Gomez gives Lovren the coverage and has the game awareness that was missing last season. I just hope they continue to do well.

I'm pretty sure you can find a similar thread about Moreno and Manquillo from this time last season. 

Best to chill out a bit I reckon, even though they both do look good.  Perhaps Gomez can do a Carragher and move to centre half in a couple of years.

As soon as I saw this thread I thought the same, lots of people were talking about how great Manquillo and Moreno were a year ago and a year later the feeling towards those players is very different.

That said, Gomez does look a real talent and if he's managed properly then we could have a real player on our hands. Clyne has been as expected, I don't think he's actually anything special but he's solid and a massive upgrade on Johnson.

I don't really like right footers at left back but it worked out well enough with Flanagan and so far Gomez has done very well too. 

edit: and Carra too in 2001 as jay says.

I thought that they looked quite poor early on into the game yesterday. Out of position and the Arsenal wingers seemed to take advantage of it when they had that short spell in the first half.

After that, they were both superb. Gomez is going to be a very very good player. He's fit into the squad really quick and looks comfortable. He used his left foot a few times yesterday for some crosses which was good to see. I had a feeling he might be one of those players who always has to cut in but thankfully, that doesn't seem the case so far.

Hasn't 2 of our best seasons had a young English, right footed full back playing on the left. Carragher in the treble season and Flanno 2 years ago.

You could be on to something. Left footed fullbacks can get away with being shite because they faced less competition growing up. The right footed player has had to compete with the 80% of right footed players to make it. Explains the dearth of top left backs.

As soon as I saw this thread I thought the same, lots of people were talking about how great Manquillo and Moreno were a year ago and a year later the feeling towards those players is very different.

That said, Gomez does look a real talent and if he's managed properly then we could have a real player on our hands. Clyne has been as expected, I don't think he's actually anything special but he's solid and a massive upgrade on Johnson.

I don't really like right footers at left back but it worked out well enough with Flanagan and so far Gomez has done very well too. 

edit: and Carra too in 2001 as jay says.

not just those two, remember Jack Robinson? he had a impressive game at the Emirates, the one we're Carra got knocked out by Flanagan, who again didn't immediately progress, and has only really been in the team in second half of 13/14, I know he's been injured but it's no good always being injured is it

And Rodgers is the boss of a huge human trafficking ring and he uses his multiple properties to hide the humans he constantly traffics day and night. Gomez and Clyne go undercover as a pair of soccer players to smash the ring. Rodgers touches their faces in an uncomfortably intimate but threatening way. Hendo's got previous for some unreturned library books so he grasses and agrees to wear a wire. 

• Upvote 1