You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gomez and Clyne

AngryOfTuebrook

the amount of promising moves that break down at Clyne is huge. People said Arbeloa was a good defender but shit in the last 3rd, well, he was 10 times better than Clyne in that regard. Clyne is shocking in the last 3rd, if someone came in for him for decent money, sell. Mind, I'd say that for every player in that squad, yes, even Coutinho. I fucking hate the lot of them. And Yeah, I'm still sulking, I bet they're fucking not.

I've been duped into thinking he was good going forward. I have no idea where the idea came from, possibly his Southampton days.

I couldn't believe it yesterday. He kept finding himself in space and couldn't capitalise on it at all. It was a Kaiser Soze moment as I realised I was wrong.

They really weren't - both by memory and stat - they just were not expected to be a regular part of the attack.

They both were, by my memory, whilst not being particularly good. You mention stat, but both their stats are going to be inferior to that of Clyne (if that is true) as they were not expected to be a regular part of the attack as you say

Finnan was a reasonable crosser of the ball, and Arbeloa had a much better touch than Clyne.

Do our fullbacks practice stuff like crossing the ball or not twatting it ten yards ahead of themselves when running with the ball?

Arbeloa was a very intelligent user of the ball.

Of course he was - smart player. You are supposed to be. Of course attitude like this might have something to do with the reason those two were perceived to be so good in our third:

On 17 May 2009, in a match against West Bromwich Albion, Arbeloa was involved in an on-field clash with Liverpool teammate Jamie Carragher – the two had to be separated by Daniel AggerXabi AlonsoEmiliano Insúa and Pepe Reina. Carragher later explained that he clashed with Arbeloa as a moment of poor defending from the latter threatened the clean sheet, further explaining "we want to keep a clean sheet and we want Pepe to have a chance of the Golden Glove for the fourth season running"

On his ball use - Milner makes alot of those same decisions ( especially when comparing him to AA playing at Left back) yet he is perceived as always cutting it back and limiting our options.

I can never remember a thread where we dropped points with Finnan, much less Arbeloa, in the team where either were slated for not making decisive contributions in the final third.

That is because there was more quality in the team as a whole so there was no expectation.

That said the difference between the fullback play in El Clasico for instance puts the distance between our pair and the top shelf at near immeasurable.

Watching our full backs is depressing. Neither can attack or defend.

Clyne gets an easy ride because of fuck ups by others, but can be as bad or culpable for goals conceeded. He's been part of a back four that's conceeded shitload of goals.

He shits himself every time the ball is played to him. Might as not play the ball to him at all.

Wish Klopp would drop him and play TAA for a few games. I can understand playing Milner as there is no one else.

I think Clyne generally defends quite well, and we seem to get caught out far more often down the left hand side for opposition goals & chances. I have been disappointed by him this season, but in a league where Ryan Bertrand is often considered the best left back !!, I wouldn't go for the knee-jerk  ' get rid ' solution.

As for the going forward, he often looks awful, but to be fair 

a) Our game is now far more expectant of attacking output from the full backs than when Finnan, Arbeloa etc were in situ &

b) It must be very difficult for Clyne & Milner even when they get in good crossing positions, as we have stopped getting bodies into the box lately and have no height, allied to a centre forward scared to head the ball. Exhibit A was yesterday when Clyne put a magnificent cross on Coutinho's head and he actually closed his eyes as he somehow headed it sideways against F***ing Origi rather than scoring.

Clyne is poor going forward. If Klopp's preferred system relies on the fullbacks getting forward then he needs to be binned. He was in yards of space in the first minute on Sunday yet still managed to hit the first defender rather than create a chance. Poor. Very poor.