You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Backing the manager

G Richards

Yes.

So then either it was wrong to get rid of them, or they were no longer good enough and therefore we weren't really missing much by getting rid of them.

You can't really use it as an excuse for Rodgers but also defend his decision to get rid.

Sorry i misunderstood your post. I don't think its as cut and dried as that knowing when to get rid of world class players. They still show flashes of brilliance and are big characters to have in the dressing room. They are even harder to replace.

Wenger has struggled for years trying to replace Henry, Vieira and Sol Campbell and Seaman. The mancs have struggled since Giggs, Scholes, Keane and Ferdinand fucked off.

The idea that Rogers was just on his holidays 'with his new bird' and so just ignored everything is, frankly, bollocks and a cheap shot.

Disgraceful that anyone would make accusations of him shirking his main job.

We all know Rodgers was busy being a slum landlord and spending the summer buying new properties and evicting tenants who had fallen behind on the rent.

Disgraceful that anyone would make accusations of him shirking his main job.

We all know Rodgers was busy being a slum landlord and spending the summer buying new properties and evicting tenants who had fallen behind on the rent.

Does Fowler do this too ?

arsenal fans were saying the same thing about Wenger, why was he commentating in Brazil or getting his photo taken on the beach instead of working on transfers. Why was he fucking around while we were trying to sign sanchez etc etc.

The idea that Rogers was just on his holidays 'with his new bird' and so just ignored everything is, frankly, bollocks and a cheap shot.

Yeah, course he wasn't on holiday. If he was on his holidays we would have missed out on Lallana and Lovren.

Why do people keep banging on about Sanchez, he didnt want to come here.

"Oohh Rodgers would have done so much better had he signed Messi". You might as well be saying.

Just because you got him to move to Liverpool on Champ Manager.

What a load of Bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Frankly JP, words are cheap right now. You could pick apart every line in that "interview", as most of what Werner says is PR fluff and the rest is pretty worrying if you hoped the owners were going to be more proactive and hands on.

He talks vaguely and gives no assurances over Rodgers' position though, which is as it should be, there's no point heading into a season making out the sword of damocles is hanging over the manager.

For context, here's another quote from Werner:

April 2012 - "We've got great confidence in Kenny, we feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support."

The comments about Kenny are the one time they have gone back on their word, however Kenny was not their choice and his future was decided in the meeting Werner says he will again have with BR next summer.Maybe they were willing to stick with Kenny but when they discussed their future plans changed their minds.

The main things I took from that Werner interview are, BR has their full support, they understand the start of the season is tough and not decisive meaning they will make no rash decisions and the plan is to discuss things next summer after we see how the season pans out.

Why do people keep banging on about Sanchez, he didnt want to come here.

"Oohh Rodgers would have done so much better had he signed Messi". You might as well be saying.

Just because you got him to move to Liverpool on Champ Manager.

What a load of Bollocks.

I suspect Barca strung us along with Sanchez to get the Suarez deal done , 

The comments about Kenny are the one time they have gone back on their word, however Kenny was not their choice and his future was decided in the meeting Werner says he will again have with BR next summer.Maybe they were willing to stick with Kenny but when they discussed their future plans changed their minds.

The main things I took from that Werner interview are, BR has their full support, they understand the start of the season is tough and not decisive meaning they will make no rash decisions and the plan is to discuss things next summer after we see how the season pans out.

They've gone back on their word many times, they talked very favourably about Commoli before getting rid of him, likewise the staff at Melwood before getting rid of two first team coaches this summer. The same is true of Borrell, exactly the same thing.

• Upvote 1

I think perhaps you've taken a lot more from some standard pre-season PR than most on here will.

Werner never said he'd stick by Rodgers this season no matter what, nor should he have done. He's taken the opportunity to rightly buy the manager some breathing space without saying too much beyond some placatory lines about long term plans, underlining that Rodgers isn't a stooge, and his hopes for what everyone will be discussing next year.  

Right now, his words carry as much weight as Mighty Red's.

• Upvote 1

I think perhaps you've taken a lot more from some standard pre-season PR than most on here will.

Werner never said he'd stick by Rodgers this season no matter what, nor should he have done. He's taken the opportunity to rightly buy the manager some breathing space without saying too much beyond some placatory lines about long term plans, underlining that Rodgers isn't a stooge, and his hopes for what everyone will be discussing next year.

Right now, his words carry as much weight as Mighty Red's.

I didn't say he said Rodgers would be here no matter what, his comments about fair and realistic expectations mean Rodgers will not be under threat before the end of the season unless we are completly out of the race for cl places early on which would mean a worse first few months then last season.

That won't happen and even if we do have a bad start cl will still be there to be got with good fixtures left for us.

I didn't say he said Rodgers would be here no matter what, his comments about fair and realistic expectations mean Rodgers will not be under threat before the end of the season unless we are completly out of the race for cl places early on which would mean a worse first few months then last season.

That won't happen and even if we do have a bad start cl will still be there to be got with good fixtures left for us.

But that's all based on your reading of these "realistic" expectations. That's why figures like Werner speak in vague terms, so people can interpret them as they wish.

My view of realistic expectation, given the time the incumbent manager has had to build a side, the money spent, the coaches hand picked and the shocking quality of the league would be significantly more taxing than yours, for example. 

We're debating a PR piece, when it's meaningless.

Have we decided what par is this season yet?

That's easy. If par means Rodgers staying then par = 5th or 6th place, no worse than 7th, or maybe 8th, it depends; nothing from the domestic cups and bounced out of Europe in the group stages.

Anything better than that and it's a 5 year extension and another 200 million.

• Upvote 1

Imagine how amused I was, after witnessing months of Roggo fans lecturing others on the sanctity of his personal life, to see Mr Rodgers in The Mirror today trying to engender sympathy by using his personal life over the past few years.

No doubt those in the vanguard of handing out lectures to others will be, as I write, penning missives to Mr Rodgers telling him how he's completely out of order using his private life instead of just sticking to matters on the pitch. I look forward to them sharing them with the rest of us.

• Upvote 3

Imagine how amused I was, after witnessing months of Roggo fans lecturing others on the sanctity of his personal life, to see Mr Rodgers in The Mirror today trying to engender sympathy by using his personal life over the past few years.

No doubt those in the vanguard of handing out lectures to others will be, as I write, penning missives to Mr Rodgers telling him how he's completely out of order using his private life instead of just sticking to matters on the pitch. I look forward to them sharing them with the rest of us.

A grown up and considered post, in full.

I am intrigued by your belief that this is true.

Given that FSG owned the club at the time, whose choice was he?

Fan pressure, during Hodgsons shit spell under them they came out and said they didn't want to change the manager and only did when we were near the relegation zone.

Kenny was hired as a temporary manager until then end of the season alongside their man Comolli, when things went well they were in a position where every fan wanted Kenny to stay.

Those quotes came from a book being written and it was not a case of BR going to newspapers trying to get sympathy, most of the quotes are from when he was Swansea manager.

It is good to here something's about his divovorce though to balance out opinions, he's been painted as that bad guy the last few months but now we know it was a tough time for him and we have seen his ex coming out lately making smart comments and posting pictures of herself on Facebook all smiles spending his money.

• Downvote 1

Excellent rabble-rousing. Repped.