You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Backing the manager

G Richards

Just posted this in another thread, but decided to start this thread with the post.

It would be nice if Rodgers could be given a fresh start or a fair shake this season. I am well aware of what went before, but since the owners have backed him it doesn't seem right that fans are so negative all the time. It's like a baying mob is poised, waiting for confirmation that they were right all along and the Liverpool manager is a bad 'un. It doesn't feel healthy. 

We all know the score with Brendan. But is it possible to suspend reservations about the manager and see what the new season brings? It is becoming increasingly difficult to cheer for your team when so many nay-sayers are sticking the boot in. It almost feels as though optimism is not allowed any more. 

I think we have some good players and I can't wait for the action to begin. Like everyone else I am aware of Brendan's flaws, but I will be hoping he does well this season because that will mean Liverpool will do well. If Rodgers falls short he will be sacked. But I certainly won't be engaging in "I told you so" because it's a sadness to me if the Liverpool manager doesn't make the grade. (Hodgson aside - I will make an exception for him as that was such a strange appointment and he was never a Liverpool man). 

I'm calling on fans to back the manager and the team he is leading into the new season. 

"But he can't set up the defence! And he hasn't signed a defensive midfielder! And he plays players out of position! And he doesn't know his best team! And he's got loads of central defenders but not a good 'un! And there's too many no.10s! And we overpaid for Lallana! And Benteke doesn't have good movement. And... and... and..." 

Bwaaaak! Bwaaaak! Bwaaaak!

It's getting a bit tiring and we haven't even kicked off yet. 

Back the players. 

Back the team. 

And yes, back the manager. 

YNWA

• Upvote 14

Let's all sing cumbahyah and pretend all is great.

Except nothing positive or negative said on here is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Wouldn't be too sure on Rodgers getting the sack if he fails tho. Can't get much worse than last season and he somehow survived. That said there can't be many excuses left for the slumlord millionaire.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'll be honest with you - I am still fuming over the shite he and his team served up in the closing weeks of last season, reaching that nadir that was Stoke away. I don't like how it is his coaches who have paid not him and I am of the view that once again he has failed to address some of the most pressing issues with our squad - but he is our manager and that means I'll support him...if he does not do well it means our team does not do well and nobody wants that.

He hasn't got much room for error though has he and I can see him under intense pressure by the end of November as I don't think we are going to pick up many points from those away games we have been handed - hopefully Rodgers and the team prove me wrong.

I'll be judging how we do this season on the basis that it's the manager's fourth in charge and comes after another summer of decent money being spent. Anything other than that would be patronising to him.  He's made it clear that he thinks he's the right man for the job, he's had the backing that he wanted in the transfer market, all the indicators would suggest that it's shit or bust this season as far as his time here is concerned, so we wait and see if he delivers.

I also wanted him gone after last season but he's still here, so it is what it is.

I actually like the players we've signed this summer; I'd be far happier if we didn't still have Borini, Balloonotelli and Lovren on the books and had instead sold all three of them to sign one CB who actually resembles a professional footballer but it's not the club's fault that nobody is mental enough to buy them.

Needs to crack on this season.

• Upvote 3

I still feel that if we wanted Kevin Keegan we would have got him a long time ago. Rodgers needs to be at a smaller club learning how to win things, not fucking Liverpool. But I will support him. Again. As for the owners, we all knew that Kenny was due another season and Rodgers wasn't due another season coming up. They're clueless beauts.

• Upvote 1

It's a tricky one this, because people bleating about the manager on the internet aren't going to impact him or the club.  People moaning at the ground, or not turning up for matches would have an effect.  They're the supporters.  We internet heroes are just froth and nonsense.

• Upvote 6

In the context of posting on an internet forum what does this even mean?

Same as all the other posts on here really, which is not very much at all. We pass the time of day talking about a topic we are interested in, that's all. But chatting on here doesn't really mean anything, and it doesn't affect decisions at the club and so on.

Still, within that relatively meaningless context, I'm trying to suggest that it's getting hard to be positive about the team in the midst of so much negativity in the fanbase. The manager has been backed by the owners, so I don't see much point in constantly sticking the boot in on him before a ball has even been kicked this season.  

We're like a baying mob at the moment, and it feels unhealthy to me. 

PS - Brendan's flaws as a manager aren't lost on me. I'm not interested in singing songs around the campfire and pretending all is well, and so on. We have issues. But I think with the new season it's time for a reset, of sorts. It doesn't mean we overlook what went before, but it should mean, since he has been backed, we at least give it a while to see how it unfolds. 

• Upvote 2

Being honest, I Cant stand the man.

So as for backing him there is basically no chance, But then seeing as i hardly ever go the match anymore because i cant stand what the game has become in this country. He wont hear me heckling him from my armchair.

Hope the new lads do well, and hopefully events transpire that he gets the bullet and we go and get Klopp to breath new life into the club.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Same as all the other posts on here really, which is not very much at all. We pass the time of day talking about a topic we are interested in, that's all. But chatting on here doesn't really mean anything, and it doesn't affect decisions at the club and so on.

Still, within that relatively meaningless context, I'm trying to suggest that it's getting hard to be positive about the team in the midst of so much negativity in the fanbase. The manager has been backed by the owners, so I don't see much point in constantly sticking the boot in on him before a ball has even been kicked this season.  

We're like a baying mob at the moment, and it feels unhealthy to me. 

PS - Brendan's flaws as a manager aren't lost on me. I'm not interested in singing songs around the campfire and pretending all is well, and so on. We have issues. But I think with the new season it's time for a reset, of sorts. It doesn't mean we overlook what went before, but it should mean, since he has been backed, we at least give it a while to see how it unfolds. 

I think, as it has absolutely no effect on the team, I'd rather people were honest. It also makes for much more interesting reading (in my humble opinion, of course). 

I also don't understand why anyone else's views, even if they became the majority, would prevent someone from offering a different view. This isn't RAWK.

I, obviously, hope we do well this season. But I'd be pretending if I thought we actually will. 

• Upvote 7

I think, as it has absolutely no effect on the team, I'd rather people were honest. It also makes for much more interesting reading (in my humble opinion, of course). 

I also don't understand why anyone else's views, even if they became the majority, would prevent someone from offering a different view. This isn't RAWK.

I, obviously, hope we do well this season. But I'd be pretending if I thought we actually will. 

I can go with the honest part. That seems fine. 

If I'm being honest, I have at least two different scenarios playing out in my mind about this season. 

In one scenario, we get off to a bad start and all the tricky away fixtures being lumped in early don't help one bit. Brendan is on thin ice to begin with, so the clamour for something to be done is deafening, and he gets sacked before Christmas. 

In the other scenario we hold our own in the difficult first part of the season. Last season's signings show a bit more and this summer's signings do well. It's not perfect by any means, but there is reason to hope and we fight on through the season, perhaps even winning a cup and finishing top four, and then all of a sudden, the manager doesn't look so bad.

I can honestly see either scenario playing out. The problem with the way it is on here at the moment is that most posters are posting as though the first scenario is a foregone conclusion. 

A clean slate is a nice sentiment, but the bitter aftertaste of last season lingers for a reason. It'll take a change from him to exorcise that.

If he serves up football that's at least watchable, plays players in their correct positions, and stops saying silly things, I think many would be happy to meet him halfway.

I think a lot of the negativity is just an outpouring of apprehension though, at the thought of watching more laboured football, with bizarre tactics, followed by the kind of spewed bollocks that we'd have crucified Hodgson for.

The latter is what has really got under my skin. I'll forgive anything if the person is contrite and humble, but deflecting blame started to send shivers down my spine as it was distinctly Evertonian, and when we start accepting that level from a manager then we really are doomed.

I want to like the Liverpool manager, I truly do, but I feel he's made it far harder for himself than it should have been. The bizarre thing is, he's probably the first of our managers who I think would benefit from a little negativity bringing him down, rather than jubilant praise raising him up, as if he genuinely thinks some of the football served up last season was superb than my snide internet chatter is the least of his problems.

Show me watchable football, and don't deflect when you lose, or praise yourself by proxy when winning, and I'll consider the slate clean. Until then, I'll cheer on the team, but the memory of that semi-final and the Stoke game, as well as the comments afterwards, remain a thorn under my skin.

Tldr; Nice idea, but I'm not over the Stoke game yet.

• Upvote 5

It's a less enjoyable forum to use when the mood is negative all the time. 

Well said. I love Liverpool. And I love this place. But it's waning with the negativity, that's for sure. I was hoping with the new season about to start we'd at least be able to be open minded enough to see how it goes. 

• Upvote 1

A clean slate is a nice sentiment, but the bitter aftertaste of last season lingers for a reason. It'll take a change from him to exorcise that.

If he serves up football that's at least watchable, plays players in their correct positions, and stops saying silly things, I think many would be happy to meet him halfway.

I think a lot of the negativity is just an outpouring of apprehension though, at the thought of watching more laboured football, with bizarre tactics, followed by the kind of spewed bollocks that we'd have crucified Hodgson for.

The latter is what has really got under my skin. I'll forgive anything if the person is contrite and humble, but deflecting blame started to send shivers down my spine as it was distinctly Evertonian, and when we start accepting that level from a manager then we really are doomed.

I want to like the Liverpool manager, I truly do, but I feel he's made it far harder for himself than it should have been. The bizarre thing is, he's probably the first of our managers who I think would benefit from a little negativity bringing him down, rather than jubilant praise raising him up, as if he genuinely thinks some of the football served up last season was superb than my snide internet chatter is the least of his problems.

Show me watchable football, and don't deflect when you lose, or praise yourself by proxy when winning, and I'll consider the slate clean. Until then, I'll cheer on the team, but the memory of that semi-final and the Stoke game, as well as the comments afterwards, remain a thorn under my skin.

Tldr; Nice idea, but I'm not over the Stoke game yet.

Fair enough. We're still sore after last season, so he's going to need to show us something.  

Still, I'm hoping that he gets a small amount of breathing room to do that, otherwise what's the point? A bad result is definitely coming. So is a bad decision or two from the manager. 

It just feels like we're ready to choke him and kick him out, and if that's the case, it should have already been done. But instead the owners backed him. So since they did, then for me at least it makes sense to calm down a bit and wait to see what happens. 

My allegiance is to the club, Not its owners or manager,

I strongly disagreed with the decision to keep faith with the manager but to my mind that's the fault of FSG and Rodgers is the symptom not the disease, Baring a minor miracle he will be gone by next summer irrespective of whether people on here back him or not .