You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Off to York over Christmas as a surprise two day break treat for the missus. I've never been, so I'm hoping someone has a bit of experience of York and could recommend specific bars, cafes and restaurants?

Looked at the main stuff on line i.e the minster, walking the wall, the war and train museums, just need a heads up on the eaty-drinky stuff.

If there are any hidden gems I may be missing other than the other 'places of interest' I've mentioned, I'm open to all advice.

cheers in advance. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, you want to go to the house of the trembling madness. It is fucking ace.http://www.tremblingmadness.co.uk/

Downstairs it's a shop like the ship in the bottle in Liverpool selling loads of imported beers and ales and upstairs they sell big platters of meat and cheese and have some ace ale on tap, such as La Trappe which is heavenly. It's right in the centre as well.

9670734_orig.jpg

855355_orig.jpg

5306329_orig.jpg

• Upvote 6

Isn't there another thread knocking about on York ? I think Stringy was taking his son down there for the weekend, checking out the uni and stuff. Lots of good stuff on that thread if my memory serves correctly.

Cheers. If anyone has a link to that, that would be sound. 

Mods, feel free to delete or merge if you don't want the clutter. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Go to the museum that's right by the castle, absolutely fantastic. In one half they've recreated a Victorian street, and it's very eerie . Gives you a sense of what it was like to live in them days.

I reckon Peter Sutcliffe visited that a few times, noticed a distinct lack of whores and well.........Shame on you York Castle Museum. 

Go to the museum that's right by the castle, absolutely fantastic. In one half they've recreated a Victorian street, and it's very eerie . Gives you a sense of what it was like to live in them days.

Been to that myself. It's ace. Heading over hopefully next summer.

To the Op check out the Shambles as well. Loads to see in York. My favourite city. Some great boozers there as well

• Upvote 1

Isn't there another thread knocking about on York ? I think Stringy was taking his son down there for the weekend, checking out the uni and stuff. Lots of good stuff on that thread if my memory serves correctly.

yep, there was - well remembered.  It's a lovely place.  He ended up going to Lancaster, which has its charms, but not so lovely.  And further away.  

The Uni itself is great.  And its good cycling country.  

Haha. I was going to mention that as one of its charms....its proximity to other places.

We were there in October. Its one of those places that looks like its seen much more prosperous days. It has some really interesting Victorian building but could we find somewhere decent to eat

Haha. I was going to mention that as one of its charms....its proximity to other places.

We were there in October. Its one of those places that looks like its seen much more prosperous days. It has some really interesting Victorian building but could we find somewhere decent to eat

There is a fantastic place called the Chop House.  A bit like a private Gentleman's club, but the food is superb.  There are a few decent eateries, but you need to spend a bit of time to find them.  It's certainly easier to find an average meal than a good one.

Anyway, he's back at home at the mo sleeping in until midday and eating me out of house and home when he actually is awake.  

• Upvote 1

The Maltings and the Tap (in the station) do some good real ale.

Great place, a couple of good mates live there, always a good night out. First went there in the mid 90's when one of our mates formed the Inter university darts league and the various Unions funded our friends network to make weekly trips to student union bars at campuses our mates attended across the Midlands and the North. Halcyon days.

• Upvote 1

I love York, so much so that my husband proposed to me in the York Minster. Incidentally it's also the only place on earth that I've ever had a number 2 on a public toilet. Have fun!

Considering you once shared on here that you have to get completely naked to have a dump (yeah I have a long memory) I can imagine that was an interesting experience.

Anyway back at the thread, I used to go up there every other weekend because I have a mate there; last time I went we ended up in Evil Eye where I got moderately messy without even realising.  Usually the case there.

Drinks menu: http://www.evileyelounge.com/downloads/DrinkMenu.pdf

• Upvote 1

Considering you once shared on here that you have to get completely naked to have a dump (yeah I have a long memory) I can imagine that was an interesting experience.

I can't believe you remembered that, you freak! Yeah, it was a bit awkward. Good job I've only had to do it the once.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...