You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Blue Bell, which is probably my favourite pub in York, is in Fossgate. Great little Edwardian pub, although I have’t been in since the previous landlord left.

The missus was too tired to go out last night so I went in here myself for a few pints & it's a fucking great wee pub, thanks for the recommendation, Tony.

York was magic too although we weren't there long enough so will need to head back sometime. Some bird was filming a WW1 cenotaph this morning & asked me & the missus if she could film us looking & pointing at it so I'll be famous on the local telly down there soon enough.

• Upvote 2

I just sat in the front because it was closer to the door & us Scots have got a bit of a reputation down there, quick exit in case they wanted to try & sacrifice me or something.

A woman came in at one point and an auld boy at the bar asked her if she'd lost her husband, classic.

Sounds like the landlord is having some bother saving the place at the moment which is a real shame.

The Blue Bell, which is probably my favourite pub in York, is in Fossgate. Great little Edwardian pub, although I have’t been in since the previous landlord left.

As a student we used to go to a tiny little old man’s pub around there but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called

Front or back bar? I’d sit in the front and have a corned beef butty (pork pie on Saturdays) and a pint for my dinner. I’d sit in the back, by the open fire, and have more pints of an evening. It’s boss in there.

Uncle used to bring me in there for a pint when I'd go over to stay at him. Great place.

As a student we used to go to a tiny little old man’s pub around there but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called

I wanted to call it The Spread (Eagle) but a quick google search said otherwise

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

bought a vast amount of golden era hip hop vinyl from Depth Charge records there in the early nineties, which i still have, original pressings- pre internet. real mail order lifeline for imports. Gilygate address?

A level History trip still talked about by us now geriatrics as we had a great laugh-  did the Terry Waite/Manc title joke on a 'tell a gag' open night mic which went down well and won a t-shirt in some boozer there. also had that quote on a t-shirt I bought outside Anfield around the time. 1990 because the World Cup was just round the corner. remember World in Motion being played in the nightclub we went to.

will have to do a return trip sometime. yes, I too made a coin at the Viking centre and bought Knight Tyme on the Spectrum on a previous school trip.

'the smell of fondant oozes through the air'

'lick my stilettos you worm'