You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Quick! York.

stringvest

After spending the last few weekends in Bath, Canterbury and Lancaster I'm off to York uni tomorrow as my son's thinking of going there.  He missed the open day on Tuesday, but we're doing a self-led audio tour.  5am start, then a blat up the motorway.  So what I need to know is...

did any of you lot study there and what was it like?

anywhere decent to for lunch/dinner in the city?

any 'must sees' in the city (apart from the normal touristy stuff)?

thanks in advance campers

I went there many moons ago.

I had a great time. It was my first experience of living away from home and coming from a small place where nothing happened it worked for me. Its a campus university, as I'm sure you know, and certainly when I was there it was pretty insular/a proper student experience depending on your point of view. I spent practically the whole 3 years on or around campus, which when I look back seems appalling but that seemed par for the course really. 

Again I dont know how much has changed but when I was there the student population seemed to come mainly from the south....an easy train journey and somewhere nice for your folks to visit

What's your son hoping to study/his interests?

There were loads of clubs/societies back then; a great way of trying out new interests and meeting people.

How am I doing?

Lunch. Meltons Too

http://www.meltonstoo.co.uk/Menus.htm

Thanks Champ.  He wants to get away from home (an independence thing, not because I'm horrible) , but he seems to be majoring on Roman cities -  something going on in the subconscious I suspect.  He's also very interested in whether there is good cycling country surrounding the university - he's mad on road cycling.  He will study Biochemistry, though it's interesting to see the different curricula each university has, and the approach to placements/studying abroad etc.  

Meltons looks a good shout, ta for that.    

It's one of the best universities in the country and York itself is a lovely place. I can't suggest anything to see or eat mind, I've only been there once in the past 10 years and that was to do some heavy drinking.

My mate goes there and struggles to get on with anyone there. He's into his drink and surrounded by privately educated folk so he's found it hard to make any mates. 

Thanks Champ.  He wants to get away from home (an independence thing, not because I'm horrible) , but he seems to be majoring on Roman cities -  something going on in the subconscious I suspect.  He's also very interested in whether there is good cycling country surrounding the university - he's mad on road cycling.  He will study Biochemistry, though it's interesting to see the different curricula each university has, and the approach to placements/studying abroad etc.  

York was a big cycling city when I was there 30  years ago so goodness knows what its like now. The very local area is very flat but he wouldnt have to travel too far to get to the N Yorkshire moors or the Dales for something a bit more challenging.

If he's not a big townie and is just looking for his first taste of independence I'd say he couldnt do much better..

• Upvote 1

Oh, god, I forgot to say Betty's. You must go to Betty's for tea. Mine's a Fat Rascal!

One thing I know in life, it's beer. There are loads of pubs. None as good as this one. You can also get cheese or meat platters served on big wooden boards in the upstairs pub that overlooks York Cathedral. Then there is a full on beer shop downstairs selling every type of ale you can imagine to take out.

I'm speaking to Stringy man to man here.

• Upvote 1

One thing I know in life, it's beer. There are loads of pubs. None as good as this one. You can also get cheese or meat platters served on big wooden boards in the upstairs pub that overlooks York Cathedral. Then there is a full on beer shop downstairs selling every type of ale you can imagine to take out.

Sorry if it came across like I was dismissing your suggestion; it sounds very good. My comment was more aimed at a potential student, than stringers.

Doesnt sound like a weekend's going to be long enough

Sorry if it came across like I was dismissing your suggestion; it sounds very good. My comment was more aimed at a potential student, than stringers.

Doesnt sound like a weekend's going to be long enough

No probs, if he ends up a student there he's best avoiding the place or he'll get into trouble. They do a shot of a beer that has a volume of about 50% that costs about £8. I saw some young lad in there have one then run straight the toilet to throw up.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Rapey, I'm going to pay that a visit.

I was the drunkest i've ever been in my life in York.

I was attacked by some twat Manc on the campus and my mate was barred from graduating for a year and fined £600 for throwing some statues into the lake

True story

It made the Telegraph i believe

Why does that not surprise me Matty... Anyway, some zzzs now. Thanks for suggestions/warnings. I'll report back tomorrow x

I was the drunkest i've ever been in my life in York. 

I was attacked by some twat Manc on the campus and my mate was barred from graduating for a year and fined £600 for throwing some statues into the lake

True story

It made the Telegraph i believe

Shit, I meant to rep that and missed. Happily with this new rep system I have been able to sort it out by repping two other posts.