You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

I'm desperately trying to keep my expectations in check.

Me, too. Surely it is impossible to make a worse Star Wars film than the first of the prequels? Saying that, it would have been funny if Jar Jar Binks had been in the poster (imagine the outcry).

The best way to approach these films is to expect them to be shit, anything else will be a bonus.

Most people who are getting excited about these films will be in their 30s & 40s now, you have to remember they're films for kids really, hence our nostalgic attachment to them. Plus you've got the internet now, where every little thing is picked apart until there's no fun in it anymore, if it had been around in the late 70s, you would've had plenty of people online saying the first three films were a load of shite & that they should've had Harvey Keitel playing Hans Solo or whatever. I've not even watched all the prequels, I thought the last one was ok to be honest, but Star Wars films are not something I lose a lot of sleep over.

Having said all that, I'm well chuffed my wife's due to have a wee boy because I can get some of the toys again under false pretences.

• Upvote 3

It's not going to be shit. It's not going to be great either. It's Disney ffs, it's going to be pop-culture, trying to appeal to as many people as possible and not be a daring and standard-setting piece of cinema as the original trilogy was. No way.

I don't think that makes them any different to the originals then, I love them but they're not especially deep films,  they're as old fashioned adventure as old fashioned adventure gets, young hero and a wizard storming the castle to rescue the princess and fighting the black knight - pure Disney. 

As an aside, when Dak gets into Luke's speeder in the Empire Strikes Back and says 'I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself!', I suspect he'd just had an absolutely tremendous shit. 

Honestly, if anyone's seen the rebooted Star Trek films I don't know how you could expect these to be shit. They're not real Star Trek films, but they're 100 mph blockbusters of the Star Wars mould. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think that makes them any different to the originals then, I love them but they're not especially deep films,  they're as old fashioned adventure as old fashioned adventure gets, young hero and a wizard storming the castle to rescue the princess and fighting the black knight - pure Disney. 

Oh sure, they were very much pop-culture movies as well - more and more as the series went along (fucking Ewoks etc). But stuff like target audience research, sample screenings and corporate sponsorships has absolutely exploded since then. That's part of what I meant with "standard-setting". Along with Indy and Jaws, SW was more or less the blueprint for the "empty" event blockbuster (many of the left leaning critics said and say the "end of cinema" started with them - on the backdrop of the movies of the 60s and 70s that usually were full of political subtext).

But a creative spark drove the making of those movies, maybe not from George, but the craft and ingenuity behind all the technical aspects and the imagery was very visible in my opinion. A "New Hollywood" type thing, where creative people were the central spark for a project AND they also wanted to make money. The central spark today is the studio wanting to make money AND maybe they can also be a bit creative in the process.

I was never a die-hard StarWars fan btw (Indy was my trilogy of choice as a kid), but I loved the movies of course. Not a big fan of the Abrams Star Treks either(mostly down to the screenplays by those hack frauds), I liked the first half of his Super 8 thingy though.

I think they've been trying to keep Luke under wraps since the start. We know he's got a beard and that his Jedi robes might be white but other than that they've kept it on the quiet. Could be a few reasons, one of the original 'leaks' was that Luke isn't in the movie much and that the movie is about locating his whereabouts. There was also a lot of EU stuff that Luke had maybe gone too close to the Dark Side in defeating the Emperor and maybe the movie will have something like that in it. We'll know more in 24 hours.

I'm no fan of Star Trek but the first JJ Abrams film of it was miles better than any or the prequels.  I've probably see Plinkett's reviews of them (the prequels) more times than the films themselves.

Hope there is nothing of that EU crap in there - Star Wars is about the films, not a load of cash fan-fiction.

Having said all that, I'm well chuffed my wife's due to have a wee boy because I can get some of the toys again under false pretences.

This is why men have sons. One of the presents I bought "for the boy" last christmas was an 18 inch long remote control Lamborghini Gallardo. He was only two at the time.

Still, he'll get the hang of it. When I let him have a go.

• Upvote 1