You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

I'd really like us to move quick and early in the month and not have Ayre flying off to Eastern Europe with hours left trying to do a deal with some awkward owner.

Identify our targets stop fucking low balling the selling club and letting the deal slip away.

Footy is a simple game.

Against Arsenal we had 27 shots - and scored two; they had two shots on target and scored two.

So we have problems scoring goals and saving shots.

Ergo buy a striker who can score and a keeper who doesn't concede many.

'kin'ell this is easy. 

The more I look at Neto, he would be a great addition for us.

Good age, good height, good stats in terms of saves and distribution, decent with the ball at his feet (Brazilian), at a club where he's 'gettable'.

http://www.squawka.com/football-player-rankings#performance-score#goalkeeper-stats#top-5-european-leagues|season-2014/2015#all-teams#goalkeeper#16#44#0#0#90#08/08/2014#22/12/2014#season#1#all-matches#possession#desc#total

Whereas this lad might be the next Lloris, and I bet will vie with Mandanda and Lopes for the top keeper spot in Ligue 1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Lecomte

In fact, according to Squawka, De Gea is only the 60th best keeper in Europe presently in terms of saving shots, and 52nd overall when you factor in distribution etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron-Robert_Zieler is another that's on the up and up, used to be a Manc trainee, now 25 and doing well at Hannover in terms of defensive and offensive stats.

Another possibility should be Sergio Romero at Sampdoria, currently the Argentina #1 keeper and still only 27.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Romero

I'm not deterred at all. Gaffes happen, it's a shitty job, you're always going to let goals in, it's all about how you deal with it mentally. They were 2-0 down at the time and then went onto win 4-1. He also made a couple of good saves last night as they drew 1-1 away.

If you're looking for a perfect keeper, there isn't one, stop looking.

Looking at forwards, I did one of these the other day, and this is just a reprise based on current Squawka performance scores this season. I'm also comparing these scores with Suarez's scores this season.

There are three main areas of scoring, those being defensive work/success, attacking work/success, and passing work/success.

If you look at the premium, Messi, his ratings today are:

Def: 76 Attack: 907 Passing: 312 Overall: 1294

If you look at, say, Diego Costa, his ratings are:

Def: -37 Attack: 521 Passing: -50 Overall: 434

So you see that Messi is a better overall player, scoring positively in all categories.

So what kind of striker are we missing in Sturridge and Suarez?

Let's look at Suarez last season:

D: 32 A: 1616 P: 44 Total: 1693

And let's look at Sturridge last season:

D: 40 A: 969 P: -91 Total: 919

I think, put simply, he was the recipient of more passes than a provider of passes. Suarez had excellent assist stats, hence his key passing put him at 44.

So, in theory, we need to find a player like Suarez. Someone who scores positively in all aspects, a creator and a finisher, so let's have a look at some candidates with similar qualities who won't cost £100m and might come:

Max Kruse

D: 10 A: 435 P: 22 T: 467

Jose Callejon

D: 35 A: 377 P: 39 T: 451

Karim Benzema

D: 10 A: 419 P: 19 T: 448

Adam Ljajic

D: 15 A: 307 P: 105 T: 427

Edison Cavani

D: 75 A: 329 P: 12 T: 416

Ezekiel Lavezzi

D: 16 A: 103 P:22 T: 141

Jurgen Locadia

D: 43 A: 184 P: 2 T: 229

I mean, this is just looking at the balanced players according to stats, so it doesn't include players like Memphis Depay, for example, who has a negative score in the passing department. But that's the trade-off, and maybe someone's passing will get better, and their defensive work will get better, so another list would be to look at scores for attacking only.

Bear in mind that your score increases the more you play, so someone with injuries this season, like Depay, might not be as high as you think, but this is the 'good attacker' scores for players in the top 5 leagues in Europe (not Dutch):

(unobtainables omitted, such as Messi, Aguero, Ibra etc)

Lacazette: 896

Dybala: 582

Austin: 582

Tevez: 578

Gignac: 545

Bony: 490

J Ayew: 440

Kruse: 435

Seferovic: 431

Benzema: 419

Huntelaar: 414

Yedder: 412

Ntep: 405

Gabbiadini: 404

Menez: 394

Bacca: 392

Honda: 386

Nolito: 382

Callejon: 377

Diabate: 354

Icardi: 350

Gradel: 350

Garcia: 340

Raffael: 337

Bobadilla: 335

Son: 334

Cavani: 329

Ujah: 327

Berahino: 326

Vietto: 323

Joseulu: 319

Volland: 319

Bueno: 311

Ljajic: 307

And from here, you then have chats about whether or not so and so could do it on a cold Wednesday night in Stoke. Of course, many of those names are just riding out a lottery win for a season and will likely be shit in this country, and any other country, 12 months from now. But I didn't create these stats, I just know they exist.

• Upvote 1

Be madness if we don't go out and by a striker. I'm not even expecting a big name, there surely must be someone out there we could pick up for peanuts like West Ham did with Sahko 

Or do a loanie swaps deal with Borini or something. 

There's no such deals that Liverpool could achieve, been reading it on here for months. There is no level of player in between the elite who we definitely can't get, and utter shite.