You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

Liverpool are prepared to make a £50m bid in January for Real Madrid's French forward Karim Benzema, 26. (Daily Express)

Tottenham and Liverpool are both keen to sign Porto's 28-year-old forward Jackson Martinez in the January transfer window.(Metro)

The Reds are also interested in Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph and see the 25-year-old as a long-term replacement for Steven Gerrard, 34. (Daily Mirror)

Tell you what there's some pretty thick as shit people at this club. If they think the answer to replacing Gerrard is some 2 bob nobody from Villa then they just need to have a look at the league table and see...oh hold on. I get it now a mid table club is going to buy a middle of the road player. I see, oh well that makes sense now.

• Upvote 2

There isn't a hope in hell of us signing Benzema or Martinez. Every window we get linked to players of that stature and every window we don't sign them. 

Delph seems logical, I can predict his career path with us already. Intitially a lot of people will complain he's shit and from a crap mid table team, this will change to he can do a job, to him being wonderful the closer it gets to us signing him. He'll do OK in his first couple of games and will be lauded as being superb, then he'll have a few bad games before reverting to being called shit and loads of people will be complaining we've paid over the odds for mid table mediocrity. 

And for the record I think he's shit. 

• Upvote 3

We'll send Ayre to Porto for the entire January window to agree a deal and he'll try and get them down to £10m when they've said all along they'll only accept Martinez's release clause (£28m).

Then last minute we'll sign Fabian Delph because he'll be on a bosman in the summer for about £15m, watching Aston Villa sign Dembele for £5m who will be an instant upgrade and make us look like fools. Again.

At least HAL has said it will let us sign Martinez as long as it's only £10m.

Lille wanting to sign Altidore on loan according to the Sunderland Echo, if that's true it adds some weight that Origi is on his way here and/or Borini is on his way there.

Origi's scored less goals than Sterling this season and Sterling's only played two games up front. I don't see how he's the answer.

Delph's much better than Lucas & Allen.  Says more about the state of our midfield than him tho.

Allen looked really good at a lower mid table club. Delph looks good at a lower mid table club. Why would Delph be any better than Allen?

We never learn. We always sign these players and they never step up to the level we need.

AFTER unsuccessfully resigning, Ally McCoist has admitted that he has no idea how he can stop being Rangers manager.

An emotional McCoist handed in his notice only to be informed by grinning colleagues that he’d received a pay rise and a better parking space.

He said: “It was always going to be a very tough decision to quit the club I love, but I presumed it would be tough emotionally not logistically.

“I’ve tried being Rangers manager and I’ve tried not being Rangers manager and the two things are essentially the same.

“Even death will be no escape, they will find a way to trap my spirit in a jar.”

• Upvote 1

Who's comparing Delph to Gerrard, other than as a DM? Delph is much better than either Gerrard or Lucas in that position and has bossed any midfield we've thrown out against Villa of late.

Gerrard and Lucas are just about finished as everyday players at a big club. To think otherwise is delusional. They've looked decent against shit teams - so did Jay Spearing - but in two recent must win games against good teams - the mancs and Basel, what happened?

But Rodgers has to recognise "the problem" before that ever gets addressed.

Quite. I'm really hoping it sinks in soon, remarkably it actually isn't too late to turn the season around. I have almost zero faith that it'll happen, but it isn't impossible. 

Be interesting to see how long he perseveres with this 3-4-3 formation. Until Sunday probably.

Who's comparing Delph to Gerrard, other than as a DM? Delph is much better than either Gerrard or Lucas in that position and has bossed any midfield we've thrown out against Villa of late.

No he isn't. Largely because he doesn't play as a DM. He plays as a box to box midfielder which suits his best attribute, running. Westwood plays as the DM because, unlike Delph, he isn't really dim.

• Upvote 2

Gerrard and Lucas are just about finished as everyday players at a big club. To think otherwise is delusional. They've looked decent against shit teams - so did Jay Spearing - but in two recent must win games against good teams - the mancs and Basel, what happened?

We started from a base of effectively no DM at all, with Gerrard in the role.

He should be further up the pitch or on the bench.

So Lucas has looked so much better when picked instead.

However Lucas never was really good enough, and is way past his best now.

Still better than nothing though, which especially under this manager, is exactly what we've had in the middle.

History has proven that we shouldnt be going anywhere near anymore British players or Italians for that matter as they are fundamentally shite the minute they put on the red shirt.

We can still salvage this season and if the rumours are true that Cech (I can't see it tbf) and Cabaye are available for loans we should be going balls deep for the pair of them and go and throw a £30m bid in for Higuain and have them here the day the window opens. 3 players with a load of experience and an attitude which is what we needed last summer. Benzema won't come anywhere near us the state were in now and we don't want to trying to unload more shite like Delph every transfer window when they've proved to be as terrible as we expected.

You just know we'll end up with what we feared or knowing FSG probably no one.

• Upvote 1

History has proven that we shouldnt be going anywhere near anymore British players or Italians for that matter as they are fundamentally shite the minute they put on the red shirt.

We can still salvage this season and if the rumours are true that Cech (I can't see it tbf) and Cabaye are available for loans we should be going balls deep for the pair of them and go and throw a £30m bid in for Higuain and have them here the day the window opens. 3 players with a load of experience and an attitude which is what we needed last summer. Benzema won't come anywhere near us the state were in now and we don't want to trying to unload more shite like Delph every transfer window when they've proved to be as terrible as we expected.

You just know we'll end up with what we feared or knowing FSG probably no one.

The thing about Lovren Lallana and Markovic is, Rodgers has really fucked up FSGs shit Moneyball wise. And to a certain extent Balotelli.

I suppose its vaguely possible that Markovic will deliver on the "investment", but cant see any upside in the other 2.

Its signings like that, that will do for Rodgers if anything.

He needs to be VERY careful in the window, if indeed he's given anything.