You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

It wouldn't make any difference to new signings if we binned off Lovren. He failed to perform and that's not what Liverpool expects . That said I think he may turn out ok and we should persevere a bit longer. I take the opposite view with Balotelli

You're right, it wont matter if we bin off one player. But if we start a trend of binning off players after 10 or 11 games, that's a different proposition.

Im not saying lovren is playing well. Far from it. But he wasnt gash at southampton last season. In contrast, our defending has been comical for more than a season.

What Im saying is, instead of binning off players, how about fucking coaching them by bringing in a new defensive coach or reappraising the defensive coaching that isnt working?

Once you've addressed that and if the player(s) dont rise to the challenge then yes, they should be moved on. But, we seem to be or rather some people are advocating moving players on buy another and hope they are better.

You're right, it wont matter if we bin off one player. But if we start a trend of binning off players after 10 or 11 games, that's a different proposition.

Im not saying lovren is playing well. Far from it. But he wasnt gash at southampton last season. In contrast, our defending has been comical for more than a season.

What Im saying is, instead of binning off players, how about fucking coaching them by bringing in a new defensive coach or reappraising the defensive coaching that isnt working?

Once you've addressed that and if the player(s) dont rise to the challenge then yes, they should be moved on. But, we seem to be or rather some people are advocating moving players on buy another and hope they are better.

Is this about a defensive coach, or the manager who bought him and his ability to get the best out of him?

To be fair I think Carragher might have a few thoughts about the defensive setup. I genuinely thought when he retired he did it in part because he didn't think he had the legs the way Rodgers wanted him to. He never had the pace to recover from losing a ball when asked to play it along the back or bring it out, even in his 20s. I think we just ask too much from our centre backs.

I think there's a bit of both going on. ie Lovren has been shite, making seven personal defensive errors but the system we are playing puts a massive amount of pressure on the centre halves. Players don't just become shit overnight. We are asking two centre backs to cover the whole back line when the full backs bomb forward, and that is without the protection of a defensive centre mid. You could put any centre half in this system and they would struggle.

• Upvote 1

The realities of modern football prevents us from getting rid of turkeys quickly anyway. They're usually on big fat contracts and no-one else is going to step up take your problem player off your hands anyway unless at a massive discount. That's not acceptable to the owners as the club takes massive hit on its balance sheet. End result you end up with an unflushable turd until he has been written down sufficiently so after a few years he can be sold off cheap or sent out on loan.

Its a shit business because the other side of the coin is that your star players can virtually write their own contracts and fuck off to Barcelona or Madrid at the drop of hat

The realities of modern football prevents us from getting rid of turkeys quickly anyway. They're usually on big fat contracts and no-one else is going to step up take your problem player off your hands anyway unless at a massive discount. That's not acceptable to the owners as the club takes massive hit on its balance sheet. End result you end up with an unflushable turd until he has been written down sufficiently so after a few years he can be sold off cheap or sent out on loan.

Its a shit business because the other side of the coin is that your star players can virtually write their own contracts and fuck off to Barcelona or Madrid at the drop of hat

Well I think its accepted when people say bin someone off after 10 or 11 games, they mean dont select them for the first team and get rid at the next available window.

My point is short term thinking helps no one. Doesnt help the player going through a bad patch, doesnt help the team and doesnt help the club attract new players.

Do people really think if a club is regularly seen to buy 4 or 5 players then move them on in the next window that other players might think, hang on, am I going to be shipped out just as quickly, what is the club \ manager running there, do I really want to sign up to that?

Bin off Lovren ASAP as he's truly shite. He won't come good - he can't do the basics.

It's a simple game made complex by idiots. Sign good players, play them in the right position with team mates who complement them. Win games. Build confidence. Win more games. Etc.

• Upvote 1

Bin off Lovren ASAP as he's truly shite. He won't come good - he can't do the basics.

It's a simple game made complex by idiots. Sign good players, play them in the right position with team mates who complement them. Win games. Build confidence. Win more games. Etc.

Your not wrong to be honest. Its still early days but fuck me I can't remember seeing a CB as bad at heading a ball as this guy.

Pretty much every match he's managed to mis-time a header completely when the ball is traveling about 40-50 yards.

His positional sense is as bad as balotelli. And he feels that he has to dive into challenges all the time. I wouldn't have an issue about him diving into tackles if he was winning the ball but he seems to have a pretty high percentage of tackles where he gets nothing ball or man.

• Upvote 2

I didn't watch Southampton last season other than their two games against us, was he actually any good & if so, how? He's been unbelievably bad so far, can't tackle, can't header, the positional sense of a bee & if I was the manager I'd be tempted to stick him in with the youth team to learn the basics of defending.

I didn't understand why we needed another CB for £20m when we bought him & I'm a lot more stumped now, I think he's going to go down as an absolute turkey & I'm not one for making these sorts of negative assumptions so quickly about a player.

Not good.

Your not wrong to be honest. Its still early days but fuck me I can't remember seeing a CB as bad at heading a ball as this guy.

Pretty much every match he's managed to mis-time a header completely when the ball is traveling about 40-50 yards.

His positional sense is as bad as balotelli. And he feels that he has to dive into challenges all the time. I wouldn't have an issue about him diving into tackles if he was winning the ball but he seems to have a pretty high percentage of tackles where he gets nothing ball or man.

Great point about his heading, i know it appears churlish bearing in mind it was the winner but unless i'm mistaken i thought he almost made a hash of the goal v Swansea in the LC, it looked like he got his head on it and it bounced about 2 yards in front of him...from 6 yards out!

For me he's already gone full Kvarme, and I'm not sure theres a cure for that

Well I think its accepted when people say bin someone off after 10 or 11 games, they mean dont select them for the first team and get rid at the next available window.

I specifically said get rid next summer if he continues playing as poorly as he is. 

High quality footballers confident in their own ability aren't going to be dissuaded from joining a club because they might get sold if they're shit.

I think he's been utterly shite but I think the pressure is just making it worse for him. There's no way all the mistakes hes made already havn't torn his confidence to pieces. I'd say hes a nervous wreck at the minute starting for us. 

Genuinely think he needs dropping and slowly re-introduced to the team. 

It's not ideal but playing him continuously is doing neither him nor us any good. 

I think he's been utterly shite but I think the pressure is just making it worse for him. There's no way all the mistakes hes made already havn't torn his confidence to pieces. I'd say hes a nervous wreck at the minute starting for us. 

Genuinely think he needs dropping and slowly re-introduced to the team. 

It's not ideal but playing him continuously is doing neither him nor us any good.

It's rank bad management, continually playing him whilst he's so bad is certainly not doing him or us any favours. He needs benching for a few weeks and, hopefully, come back into a winning, more confident team.

He benched Borini and Allen so I don't think that's true. He's possibly a little closer to the exit door these days though.

yes but he and Carragher hailed Lovren as the "leader" LFC defense needed, he was supposed to make an instant impact and be an upgrade. Borini was a small calibre signing and Allen was Rodgers' "welcome to LIverpool" gift, he's been injured quite a lot too.

yes but he and Carragher hailed Lovren as the "leader" LFC defense needed, he was supposed to make an instant impact and be an upgrade. Borini was a small calibre signing and Allen was Rodgers' "welcome to LIverpool" gift, he's been injured quite a lot too.

Similarly, I thought according to Rodgers, Borini was going to excite the crowd and Allen be Xavi 2.0

When we played Spurs, he played on the right and Sakho played on the left.

I think we were 1-0 up and they played a long ball into Adebayor. Sakho was marking him and Lovren was covering Sakho for any flick ons. 

For some fucking reason, Lovren comes across to win the header, leaving the space inbehind free. He jumps into Sakho, they both miss the header and the ball goes through to Chadli, he goes through one on one with Mingolet. Mingolet pulled off a quality save and they get a corner.

Start the video around 1.35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRs95LZqchk

For me, this has been indicative to how hes gone about his performance so far. He seems to want to win every ball, every tackle and be this ''commanding'' center half.  

Can someone please confirm if Lovren was any good for Southampton last season? What was it about him that made us splash £20M on him? 

he was the same player except Vic Wanyama and Schneiderlin made him look like Cannavaro

He was excellent up until christmas then tapered off from that point onwards. He scored quite a few goals from set pieces like Skrtel (think he scored the winning goal against us at Anfield) and had a decent partnership with Fonte, that's about it.

same time Wanyama got injured - what a fucking coincidence...

he was the same player except Vic Wanyama and Schneiderlin made him look like Cannavaro

same time Wanyama got injured - what a fucking coincidence...

Was Wanyama injured for half of last season? No. So, why did he only start half of Southampton's games? Because, I suggest, he's not very good.

In fact, he started more than his form justified. Because he was Southampton's record signing.

That said, he would improve us defensively...

you're better than this, I'm dissapointed, not rating Wanyama is like rating Mo Diame or Moussa Sissoko in my book.

also, Osvaldo was their record transfer and Wanyama missed almost 10 games due to injury

Wanyama was their record signing when he joined.

I'd love a big, brutal defensive midfielder. But I think Wanyama comes from the Momo Sissoko school of footballing ability.

Mind you, I love Momo...