You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

If him staying means we don't buy another attacker, I would seriously question it. He's not good enough, but he's played a massive part in our success this season, so it's a rather strange situation really.

Ruthlessness needed for me, and it all depends on how Klopp sees the opportunity. 

Fully trust the manager obviously. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

If him staying means we don't buy another attacker, I would seriously question it. He's not good enough, but he's played a massive part in our success this season, so it's a rather strange situation really.

Ruthlessness needed for me, and it all depends on how Klopp sees the opportunity. 

If he's happy to be part of the squad then he's earned it but we need another forward of better quality but Big D has a place if he's happy to be a sub 

• Upvote 1

He got interviewed right after the game and the first question was about how it felt to score a goal to seal the European Cup win and he just fired back it’s about the team.  It sums him up and what Klopp has instilled in them all.  Give him a contract if he wants one.  Not through sentimentality but because he’s proved time and time again he fits into this team and has a massive impact when he comes off the bench.

15 hours ago, Elite said:

If he's happy to be part of the squad then he's earned it but we need another forward of better quality but Big D has a place if he's happy to be a sub 

It was ridiculous how few 'easy' games there were this season, probably making Klopp a little more reluctant to rotate as often as he may have otherwise. 

Drawing a friendlier set of cup ties (couldn't have been much worse), as well as earning a (theoretically) easier CL group from Pot 1, should mean a little more opportunity for rotation next season. This would help Div, Naby and even AOC see more minutes. 

• Upvote 1

Don’t really get the ‘not good enough’ argument given the last month. 

He’s an excellent striker. Not a direct fit in style for any place in our regular front three, but few enough out there are. (And I’m not sure any of the regulars would have followed in Virgil’s mis-hit in the derby or been switched on enough for Trent’s corner). 

It it will be even more of a squad game next season given the international tournaments so he’ll surely get a lot more opportunities.

Hopefully we’ll look at the Coutinho/Fekir role again in the market. 

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Don’t really get the ‘not good enough’ argument given the last month. 

He’s an excellent striker. Not a direct fit in style for any place in our regular front three, but few enough out there are. (And I’m not sure any of the regulars would have followed in Virgil’s mis-hit in the derby or been switched on enough for Trent’s corner). 

It it will be even more of a squad game next season given the international tournaments so he’ll surely get a lot more opportunities.

Hopefully we’ll look at the Coutinho/Fekir role again in the market. 

PM’d

16 hours ago, m0e said:

At least one of Origi, Sturridge and Ings will be replaced by a new signing.  I'd be very surprised if it were Origi.

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

At least one of Origi, Sturridge and Ings will be replaced by a new signing.  I'd be very surprised if it were Origi.

Ings is not part of the current squad and its widely accepted Brewster comes in for Sturridge. 

His minutes per goal record has always been good. He's good enough to be an option off the bench even for a club that has reached the heights we have. In fact, he's pretty much the perfect attacking sub because he's not shy to go for goal and you can play him on the wing or put him up front. And his attitude has been as good as it gets.

It's just a question of whether he's happy with that or if he wants more playing time somewhere else. His choice.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

His minutes per goal record has always been good. He's good enough to be an option off the bench even for a club that has reached the heights we have. In fact, he's pretty much the perfect attacking sub because he's not shy to go for goal and you can play him on the wing or put him up front. And his attitude has been as good as it gets.

It's just a question of whether he's happy with that or if he wants more playing time somewhere else. His choice.

He's pretty poor mate. Watch his performance over again. Shocking doesn't do it justice. 

Not good enough to be playing regularly which is now what we need to match City. 

18 minutes ago, m0e said:

He's pretty poor mate. Watch his performance over again. Shocking doesn't do it justice. 

Not good enough to be playing regularly which is now what we need to match City. 

His general play isn't great, which is why he'll never be starting quality, but he scores goals. That's undeniable. The numbers say so. He scores at a really good rate per minute he's on the pitch.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't buy another front three player, we should, but there's always going to be a place for what he brings.

Like I said though, it's not our decision, it's his, because now there's no doubt we'd want to keep him as backup. It's whether he's fine with being a backup at a top club or wants to go somewhere smaller where he can play almost every week.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

His general play isn't great, which is why he'll never be starting quality, but he scores goals. That's undeniable. The numbers say so.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't buy another front three player, we should, but there's always going to be a place for what he brings.

Like I said though, it's not our decision, it's his, because now there's no doubt we'd want to keep him as backup. It's whether he's fine with being a backup at a top club or wants to go somewhere smaller where he can play almost every week.

He's been offered a 12 month extension apparently, and that tells me Klopp will keep him for a year to see if he develops.

I guess it also depends on who's available. If Klopp doesn't fancy any of the options, there's no point selling him.

However, in terms of what he brings, we can buy infinitely better to match that and more for a not so crazy number. 

He's a natural finisher and that's something different to what the usual front three offer.  The Mo/Mane/Fimino trio works because of the quality and quantity of chances created, but they tend to fluff a fair few.  Origi is a touch more clinical.  So for me, he stays and there are others in the queue out the door ahead of him. 

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as there are bound to be offers coming in for a guy who struggles to get minutes.  It would need to be a good offer, though.  £30m minimum, anything less then no thanks. 

I want him to stay. 

He has pace and power, good in the air and every time he comes off the bench he's involved in something. Unless you are replacing him with another at the level of the front three I don't see the point

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TK421 said:

He's a natural finisher and that's something different to what the usual front three offer.  The Mo/Mane/Fimino trio works because of the quality and quantity of chances created, but they tend to fluff a fair few.  Origi is a touch more clinical.  So for me, he stays and there are others in the queue out the door ahead of him. 

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as there are bound to be offers coming in for a guy who struggles to get minutes.  It would need to be a good offer, though.  £30m minimum, anything less then no thanks. 

Thing is, I’m not sure starting games and so forth is playing to his strengths either - I could see him really toiling elsewhere and not having anything like the same impact. Personally, I’d like to see him stay and if he continues to contribute with goals as he has, stay for a long time ala Solskjaer at Man Utd.

Just don’t give panic and give him the wheel after a fallow spell a couple of decades from now.