You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You need to go to some different pubs. Not heard anyone need this for years.

As I said - she is more entertaining than any of the ones you have knocked off.

That's what I mean - too tedious.  I certainly wouldn't waste time watching bands pumping this shite out anymore.  I'm not arguing with you re entertainment, but I've definitely been in bands with better guitarists.  

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

30 years ago there were very few young ladies (posers) playing in pubs.

The same fellas who were there (myself included - prolly a couple others in this thread) said the same.

My guess is she has a heavenly voice and could knock it out. 

My comment was not based on which sex the person is, it was aimed at people making videos of themselves playing cover versions that someone on every street could learn and uploading it to the internet.

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

My comment was based on which sex the person is, it was aimed at people making videos of themselves playing cover versions that someone on every street could learn and uploading it to the internet.

Hoping this is an autocorrect.

You quick fingered bastard - can you play piano?

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

That's what I mean - too tedious.  I certainly wouldn't waste time watching bands pumping this shite out anymore.  I'm not arguing with you re entertainment, but I've definitely been in bands with better guitarists.  

It's a shit vocal tune - you need to be crushing Stevie Wonder not waiting for some girl to play in an open tuning.

There are some very talented players and teachers on social media who would ordinarily just be playing in pub bands,at college and/or teaching who have found a way of making both some cash and getting some exposure for themselves and good luck to them. The exposure works extra well for the pretty ladies,and handsome men,if that's your type of thing. The market does seem to be getting a bit flooded at present but good luck to those who can exploit it while it lasts as that flooding of social media has made it extra competitive. It has done wonders for guitar sales though.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

There are some very talented players and teachers on social media who would ordinarily just be playing in pub bands,at college and/or teaching who have found a way of making both some cash and getting some exposure for themselves and good luck to them. The exposure works extra well for the pretty ladies,and handsome men,if that's your type of thing. The market does seem to be getting a bit flooded at present but good luck to those who can exploit it while it lasts as that flooding of social media has made it extra competitive. It has done wonders for guitar sales though.

I think the teaching/lessons music stuff on social media is amazing, I use some of it myself. My posts were more aimed at people staring into the camera playing the guitar solo to Smoke on the Water (for example) note for note as if they're God's gift to the World.

As you say, fair play to them but I find it extremely tiresome & I think a lot of other people do too.

14 minutes ago, Mook said:

I think the teaching/lessons music stuff on social media is amazing, I use some of it myself. My posts were more aimed at people staring into the camera playing the guitar solo to Smoke on the Water (for example) note for note as if they're God's gift to the World.

As you say, fair play to them but I find it extremely tiresome & I think a lot of other people do too.

You have to pick and choose your stuff. As I have been learning,I still have face to face lessons now and again,it has become much easier to filter out the stuff you mention. But when I first started it was a bit overwhelming digging through the youtubers who were relevant to me and those who aren't. As youtube is US based a lot of the guitar channels tend to be heavy rock themed(not my particular choice of music) therefore finding more appropriate and stuff interesting to me was harder. I think it is even more difficult know given the information overload. Like you said though,some of it is superb and far more accessible than when more experienced players were learning back in the 60s/70s and 80s by comparison. 

Are you learning guitar to go alongside your drumming or have you always played a bit too?

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You have to pick and choose your stuff. As I have been learning,I still have face to face lessons now and again,it has become much easier to filter out the stuff you mention. But when I first started it was a bit overwhelming digging through the youtubers who were relevant to me and those who aren't. As youtube is US based a lot of the guitar channels tend to be heavy rock themed(not my particular choice of music) therefore finding more appropriate and stuff interesting to me was harder. I think it is even more difficult know given the information overload. Like you said though,some of it is superb and far more accessible than when more experienced players were learning back in the 60s/70s and 80s by comparison. 

Are you learning guitar to go alongside your drumming or have you always played a bit too?

I use some online drumming resources but I see a lot of the guitar stuff too. I can play a few chords on the guitar but was never really interested in taking it further.

I can remember playing a bit of a record downstairs then going to to my bedroom to try it on the drums, getting it wrong and having to go back down to put the record back on & so forth multiple times so all this stuff is great for kids or anyone who wants to learn an instrument & we will see huge advances in technical ability as a result.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I use some online drumming resources but I see a lot of the guitar stuff too. I can play a few chords on the guitar but was never really interested in taking it further.

I can remember playing a bit of a record downstairs then going to to my bedroom to try it on the drums, getting it wrong and having to go back down to put the record back on & so forth multiple times so all this stuff is great for kids or anyone who wants to learn an instrument & we will see huge advances in technical ability as a result.

I agree. It has been overwhelming positive when all is said and done.

On 25/08/2022 at 16:01, Mook said:

The whole YouTube/Instagram cover version video thing is becoming incredibly tiring.

It was better 20/30 years ago when these posers were playing at shit parties & couldn't get a gig until they'd done something creative.

Stop moaning you freaking snob.

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

I only come on here to moan about things and a one person cover version of Sultans of fucking Swing was absolutely ripe for the plucking.

Well I liked it so you can shove it up your arse - that's if there is enough room up there with all the other things you come on here to moan about. 

On 25/08/2022 at 16:00, TheHowieLama said:

You need to go to some different pubs. Not heard anyone need this for years.

As I said - she is more entertaining than any of the ones you have knocked off.

Talented enough to share a stage with Tommy Emmanuel and play Classical Gas. 

• Upvote 1