You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

44 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

We bought one for our lad but he was more interested in gaming so never really bothered. 

It's knackered now with a warped neck after being left in a shed for years, but it's piqued my Grandson's interest so maybe electric is the way to go, but he's a gamer like his Dad so his interest might fizzle out.

I've said to my lad he might be better taking him to a music shop where he can have a try out as Vlad says, hopefully he'll take to it.

Definitely do that. Neck thickness might be more of an issue than the scale of the fretboard. Full size with a slender neck should be fine. The fingers are going to have to stretch regardless and he's going to grow soon enough.

If he's up for playing an acoustic or even classical I'd go for that and spend the amp money on some lessons.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Definitely do that. Neck thickness might be more of an issue than the scale of the fretboard. Full size with a slender neck should be fine. The fingers are going to have to stretch regardless and he's going to grow soon enough.

If he's up for playing an acoustic or even classical I'd go for that and spend the amp money on some lessons.

Wise words. Lessons are worth every penny with the right tutor.

26 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He's a big lad for his age, got long slender fingers too so neck thickness might not be such a problem.

There's a place called The Engine Rooms, or The E Rooms here in Skem where they give tuition. They're pretty good apparently so we'll get him booked in there when he gets one, whatever it is.

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It's an hour and 40 minutes long, I only posted it 31 minutes ago you lying 

Ah I posted here after watching a first part, put the kids to bed, then watched the 2nd part. Then plugged in my own guitar and amp and played Slide Away. I like how he was honest saying they didn't really have a clue about gear and pedals and shit. I would have thought with him being a Roadie before that he'd have picked up a few tricks with pedal boards etc. Anyhow i wasn't expecting to enjoy it as he has turned into a bell end.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Thanks enjoyed that. he was really honest and likable. Basically admitting he is a bit of a nothing musically but a writer. A simple tune maker.

But the radiohead one on after what a contrast.

I'll definitely have to watch that. Radiohead are my favourite band. Nice one. 

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Any of you guitar guys have any experience of Gibson vs Epiphone comparison. Would love an SG but the price fuck me. I can barely play and they are more ornaments than functional instruments but I love them and my youngest is getting pretty good so she will end up with it.

If its hobby then Epiphone all the way. Non point investing in a Gibson. However there are good alternatives too. Depends on the aim and what sound you're looking for. I play Gretsch electrics and Cort acoustics, but that's just something I came around to over the years. 

Some other lads like Carvalho and Howie will have other ideas too. I think Lee likes the Vintage range, like the Lemon drop.