You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

12 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

If its hobby then Epiphone all the way. Non point investing in a Gibson. However there are good alternatives too. Depends on the aim and what sound you're looking for. I play Gretsch electrics and Cort acoustics, but that's just something I came around to over the years. 

Some other lads like Carvalho and Howie will have other ideas too. I think Lee likes the Vintage range, like the Lemon drop.

Cheers man. I like the sound more than playing. I originally bought a squirer as i'd always wanted a guitar. and a cheap Marshall. just looks cool. Strat was too much.

My girl picked it up and it just sounded different, she had something. Bought her one and a blackstar practice amp and then a bog standard acoustic and she is progressing.

I then got a cheap Donner with humbuckers and appreciated the sound difference. Still cannot do an Angus but will keep at it. Got an electric travel acoustic Yamaha which has been a revelation but still cannot justify a Gibson SG.

1 minute ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Cheers man. I like the sound more than playing. I originally bought a squirer as i'd always wanted a guitar. and a cheap Marshall. just looks cool. Strat was too much.

My girl picked it up and it just sounded different, she had something. Bought her one and a blackstar practice amp and then a bog standard acoustic and she is progressing.

I then got a cheap Donner with humbuckers and appreciated the sound difference. Still cannot do an Angus but will keep at it. Got an electric travel acoustic Yamaha which has been a revelation but still cannot justify a Gibson SG.

Nice one. Keep at it. You'll always find something new to learn so it never gets boring. Even some of the stuff Noel Gallagher has in his video above has me keen again. It never ends. I'd like an SG myself but couldn't justify it these days as I got fuck all time to play.

1 minute ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Nice one. Keep at it. You'll always find something new to learn so it never gets boring. Even some of the stuff Noel Gallagher has in his video above has me keen again. It never ends. I'd like an SG myself but couldn't justify it these days as I got fuck all time to play.

Yeah Noel was cool in that. Guitars to me are not just music. They are just ace. That sounds daft but I have a top of the range TV on the wall and a huge spec 3 monitor PC in my living room and a few shitty guitars on the wall. Anyone who come here without fail says whoa ace guitars can I have a look, They are just magnetic. 

Just now, Poor Scouser T said:

Yeah Noel was cool in that. Guitars to me are not just music. They are just ace. That sounds daft but I have a top of the range TV on the wall and a huge spec 3 monitor PC in my living room and a few shitty guitars on the wall. Anyone who come here without fail says whoa ace guitars can I have a look, They are just magnetic. 

Agree with that. Anyone coming into my house sees the guitars and instantly settles into a conversation about music etc. They're a work of art in their own right. 

My Mrs has a pop at me when i buy a new one. I have my own place, its kind of complicated, anyway, she has pottery figures that are worth 1000's 10's of 1000's Doulton (sp) originals that are shit. Ugly unlovable shit. Snowmen and teapots.

I compare them to a few guitars and there is no comparison. My stuff is alive. God knows what I would be like if I had a few bob and could buy some classic guitars. I would still keep my shit though.

4 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Any of you guitar guys have any experience of Gibson vs Epiphone comparison. 

Had a few - most recently an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro. Black w gold. Definitely looked the part and played well.

Not sure if you have reverb.com in the UK but you could find an Epi SG for under 300 usd I would think.

3 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Gretsch electrics.

3 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Still cannot do an Angus

You may never. You could try and do a Malcolm - the Gretsch Electromatic series is pretty good. A used Electromatic Double Jet might be cheaper than an Epiphone. They are @ 450 new here.

9 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

If its hobby then Epiphone all the way. Non point investing in a Gibson. However there are good alternatives too. Depends on the aim and what sound you're looking for. I play Gretsch electrics and Cort acoustics, but that's just something I came around to over the years. 

Some other lads like Carvalho and Howie will have other ideas too. I think Lee likes the Vintage range, like the Lemon drop.

I bought a Cort Parlour a few months ago and I love it. Great for fingerstyle playing too. Had to get a new bridge put on but it was cheap enough and I love it. Even my cheap Fender Concert now sounds 'played in' after about 6 months and trying a few different string brands. The Elixirs are bloody expensive but they do make a big difference to guitar of any value. .10 gauge are my preference across my guitars.

I've just started again. 

Struggling for time before and it's kept bugging me I didn't carry on. Memory like a sieve so like starting from the beginning. 

@Poor Scouser T as @ZonkoVille77 said I've used the vintage brand stuff. It's all copiescof the high end stuff but with even new Epiphones now going for fairly hefty prices these are good value. You'd get a VS6, there SG copy for well under £200 they do them in the traditional red, but also black,cream and Pelham blue. The only thong I've heard more professional people say is its sometimes worth getting a full set up to address with the frets

shopping.jpeg

The amp I bought seems quiet nice

Bugera is owned by a Music tribe who own Behringer. It's 5 watt tube amp but has a power attenuator and options for 1 watt and 0.1 watt for bedroom use. It had good reviews so we t with it over the boss katana. 

20231010_145017.jpg

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I've just started again. 

Struggling for time before and it's kept bugging me I didn't carry on. Memory like a sieve so like starting from the beginning. 

@Poor Scouser T as @ZonkoVille77 said I've used the vintage brand stuff. It's all copiescof the high end stuff but with even new Epiphones now going for fairly hefty prices these are good value. You'd get a VS6, there SG copy for well under £200 they do them in the traditional red, but also black,cream and Pelham blue. The only thong I've heard more professional people say is its sometimes worth getting a full set up to address with the frets

shopping.jpeg

That is lovely.

14 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I bought a Cort Parlour a few months ago and I love it. Great for fingerstyle playing too. Had to get a new bridge put on but it was cheap enough and I love it. Even my cheap Fender Concert now sounds 'played in' after about 6 months and trying a few different string brands. The Elixirs are bloody expensive but they do make a big difference to guitar of any value. .10 gauge are my preference across my guitars.

The Parlour has a lovely tone to it and as you say a decent set of strings can help. 

The Epiphone 335 has a lovely warm sound, and plays nicely in a jazz setup. Quality construction as well. I get to listen to it every week as my mate plays one in our band. It’s a nice contrast to my Noir Telecaster, or my Vintage Les Paul.

You know its not your day when....

You think oh I've a few days off let's get stuck in and start learning again. Start tuning up and a string snaps. And then you notice no sound from the new amp. Less than a week past the amazon return date. Valve/tube appears to ne dead so now waiting in Bugera customer support and unsure if they will want it sent back for repair or if they'll send a new tube out. 

Luckily if they start fucking around I have one of the best valve companies in the a few miles up the road who will be able to sort it out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not had to replace strings before and want to do it myself. Had a string snap and the screw on the bridge is a bit lose. 

Can I just tighten it myself and change the strings or am I better taking it to a shop?

Tried to show movement in video below

20231213_224942.jpg

Those screws are meant to be lose. If you took all your strings off, they would all by the same. As soon as you put your A string back on, the screw will take its original place.

*don’t tighten any screws*

Get some new strings, no point changing one as it’ll sound shit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Those screws are meant to be lose. If you took all your strings off, they would all by the same. As soon as you put your A string back on, the screw will take its original place.

*don’t tighten any screws*

Get some new strings, no point changing one as it’ll sound shit.

Great thanks

I've got a new pack of strings so will change them all next week when I'm off

Yeah, those screws are for fine tuning the intonation with a string under tension in place, not for messing with without a string. They adjust the height of the string from the fretboard. They float to allow the string tension to hold them in place and flex/adjust with heat changes etc.

Your guitar will have undergone a proper setup before and you shouldn't have to mess with them unless you start getting fret buzz (and then it's best to talk to someone who knows what they're doing). You won't irrevocably fuck anything up, but it might make it awful to play until you get it fixed.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 05:56, VladimirIlyich said:

Another Cort fan here, got a semi concert size and it's lovely. Got 12's on it so it rings well but almost plays like an electric.