You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

5 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The P90s are just the stock ones afaik, I certainly haven't changed them.

Very nice. I used to own a 1973 Gold Top, but it was reissue with mini humbuckers that Gibson put out. They’d put the mini humbuckers in the P90 routs. I never quite liked the mini buckers. 

28 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Very nice. I used to own a 1973 Gold Top, but it was reissue with mini humbuckers that Gibson put out. They’d put the mini humbuckers in the P90 routs. I never quite liked the mini buckers. 

Here’s my old Gold Top. Pic taken around 1993. Gibson Mini humbuckers.

F72D8A23-C90A-4144-90BD-D5A44F367E46.jpeg

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you want them to look like humbuckers? If not the Lollar Novel 90 is one of the great sounding pickups made - it fits a standard hum rout but the magnets are centered like an old P-90. They also look great and you can get them with a gold ring.

Think I’m sold. Just heard a demo of them on you tube…..

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2023 at 07:08, Carvalho Diablo said:

Did you ever buy a new nut for that thing Bobby? Pennies man.

Turns out the Nut was fine I just put the string on wrong like an absolute fucking Balloon Jacuzzi, fortunately the guy in the shop wasn't too patronising although I was tempted too ask him if swapping a Les Paul with a plastic saxophone that blows bubbles would be a more fitting solution to my problem.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

That was me trying to find F.

Always wanted to learn to play but gave up 30 years ago. Sausage fingers, shit dexterity, a complete lack of patience and talent made me realise I was a hopeless case.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Grandson, 11, is starting to show an interest in learning to play. Anyone here advise on a suitable learner guitar that's not too expensive?

I got my lad a Yamaha acoustic with a book and cd for about 100 I think it was. He's shredding with the best of them now and has himself a right little arsenal now

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I got my lad a Yamaha acoustic with a book and cd for about 100 I think it was. He's shredding with the best of them now and has himself a right little arsenal now

I was thinking along those lines myself tbh when my lad mentioned the kid's interest.

He thinks it might be a bit big with him only being 11 and maybe a 3/4 size.

4 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I was thinking along those lines myself tbh when my lad mentioned the kid's interest.

He thinks it might be a bit big with him only being 11 and maybe a 3/4 size.

Yamaha JR-1.

Also Luna make pretty nice guitars - I think they are all 3/4 as they were originally marketed to girls but they sound and play pretty well. I used a pink one on gigs sometimes.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yamaha JR-1.

Also Luna make pretty nice guitars - I think they are all 3/4 as they were originally marketed to girls but they sound and play pretty well. I used a pink one on gigs sometimes.

I'll mention that to him. Thanks Howie.

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Grandson, 11, is starting to show an interest in learning to play. Anyone here advise on a suitable learner guitar that's not too expensive?

Get him to try a few and dont get him a dreadnought size or a jumbo. Concert or Parlour sized are ideal.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

We got our son a Squier Stratocaster a few years back, he was about 11 at the time, had to pay a little more for a lefty but it's been great for him.

Got one its nice. used immaculate £80 quid ebay

Donner are good and cheap

You can fender classic really nice 130 quid with a bag.

Gear4music too are cheap. Loads of brands.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

We got our son a Squier Stratocaster a few years back, he was about 11 at the time, had to pay a little more for a lefty but it's been great for him.

We bought one for our lad but he was more interested in gaming so never really bothered. 

It's knackered now with a warped neck after being left in a shed for years, but it's piqued my Grandson's interest so maybe electric is the way to go, but he's a gamer like his Dad so his interest might fizzle out.

I've said to my lad he might be better taking him to a music shop where he can have a try out as Vlad says, hopefully he'll take to it.

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Got one its nice. used immaculate £80 quid ebay

Donner are good and cheap

You can fender classic really nice 130 quid with a bag.

Gear4music too are cheap. Loads of brands.

I have a Jet branded Tele and Strat and both were 160 brand new. Superb value for money even before the set up that I always get done.