You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They are an excellent value for money brand of guitars,the Vintage brand. The only one of those I picked up was an older version and it was heavy as fuck,but I'm told they are much lighter now. Good choice there mate. 

Cheers Vlad, I've been doing a bit of research since I posted this morning and it seems to have a few fans. It's a great price too.

My lad was looking at an Epiphone Les Paul but I can't stretch to that, besides, I've read that the Vintage plays just as well.

He's a good lad who's had a few setbacks of late and this should give him a bit of a lift so I've just ordered it.

He can buy his own amp though.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

He can buy his own amp though.

If he is just starting take a look at a headphone amp simulator.

Alot will also have FX built in and you should be able to find one used pretty reasonably.

NUX sells one.

• Upvote 1

Sweet that. Got the Gary Moore burst color going.

Katana is a good unit as well. The quality and cost of stuff for beginners these days is crazy compared to some of the shit we had back in the day.

As for the neighbors - a headphone amp simulator might be good as a start. Alot will have FX built in similar to the Katana.

Nux has one on Amazon.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sweet that. Got the Gary Moore burst color going.

Katana is a good unit as well. The quality and cost of stuff for beginners these days is crazy compared to some of the shit we had back in the day.

As for the neighbors - a headphone amp simulator might be good as a start. Alot will have FX built in similar to the Katana.

Nux has one on Amazon.

I mentioned that to him.

He works nights and is often home around 4 in the morning and doesn't go to bed straight away and wants to practice a bit beforehand so one of those would be perfect for him.

He's just ordered a NUX EP3 for that reason.

Cheers Howie.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I mentioned that to him.

He works nights and is often home around 4 in the morning and doesn't go to bed straight away and wants to practice a bit beforehand so one of those would be perfect for him.

Cheers Howie.

NUX MP3.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

I mentioned that to him.

Cheers Howie.

Heh, forgot I had already posted that - anywhoos, good on em.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Boss Katana's are really nice but I'd strongly recommend the Positive Grid Spark - those things are amazing.

I've just had a look at them and they look a brilliant bit of kit. I've just messaged him so he can have a look when he's having his break, something else for him to consider.

I think he's going to use the NUX as mentioned by Howie for a bit while he saves for his amp, whichever one he goes for, but he seemed keen on the Katana.

The NUX is arriving tomorrow. He's just hoping it arrives early enough so that he can have a bit of a jam with it before he goes to work.

It's the happiest I've seen him in a while which is lovely to see.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Boss Katana's are really nice but I'd strongly recommend the Positive Grid Spark - those things are amazing.

That looks a great little amp,the Positive Grid Spark. I'm looking for something much better than my Roland Cube and this looks ideal.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Do they need to be hooked to a computer for the software to be used or can you do it through the normal amp use?

34 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Do they need to be hooked to a computer for the software to be used or can you do it through the normal amp use?

Either I think. Mostly controlled via a smartphone app.

Also, there are several different sizes of the Spark, from a hand held up to a 40 watter I believe.

30 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Either I think. Mostly controlled via a smartphone app.

Also, there are several different sizes of the Spark, from a hand held up to a 40 watter I believe.

Cheers. I'm getting stuck into a few youtube vids as I'm almost ready to pull the plug and buy one.

• Upvote 1

Hankering to replace my old bass that I got rid of after 20 years. 

Looking at a gretsch g2220. Short scale, though. Haven't played one before.

GRETSCH251-4730-579__28620.1643730581.jpg

Now to procrastinate for a few months.

• Upvote 2

On 12/03/2024 at 19:31, Carvalho Diablo said:

I was talking to my lad earlier and he said he'd been reading up/watching videos on the Positive Grid Spark 40 and says now he's seen it, it looks the dogs bollocks and as he's still a novice is seriously considering it.

The NUX MP3 Howie mentioned arrived this afternoon so he's been able to try the guitar out. Says it's fantastic, but there is some fret buzz so he's taking it to Sound Affects in Ormskirk for them to set up properly so he can have a proper jam (geddit) with it.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations lads.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I was talking to my lad earlier and he said he'd been reading up/watching videos on the Positive Grid Spark 40 and says now he's seen it, it looks the dogs bollocks and as he's still a novice is seriously considering it.

The NUX MP3 Howie mentioned arrived this afternoon so he's been able to try the guitar out. Says it's fantastic, but there is some fret buzz so he's taking it to Sound Affects in Ormskirk for them to set up properly so he can have a proper jam (geddit) with it.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations lads.

Edit - He's ordered one.

24 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I hope it's the bizzo mate, I'd have one myself if I was still serious about playing.

They do look amazing and incredible vfm.

They do look pretty impressive.

£234 from Bax. Nine working day wait though.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I was looking seriously at one but opted for a new budget Classical Guitar for my collection. Keep me informed as I will probably get one myself when I get some money in the near future.

Will do mate.

He got his on PayPal, £78 per month for 3 months if that helps.