You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

I have a shed load of cooking cooks im lookimg to sell. I can list them on here but they are perfect condition on the whole and various regions

Brazil

Ukraine

Ghana

Persian

Obviously postage wouldn't be cheap per book but if anyone is interested in a few i can ship them via a courier cheaper.

Some good books,want about £5 each or a few cheaper

Anyone interested let me know and ill list them

Very, very tempting mate but she complains I have too many already.

It’s got to the point I’m storing them under the sofa as well as the kitchen, bedroom and lounge as well

now.

• Upvote 1

And like a bat out of hell, it was gone when the morning came.

Sorry.

I have his 30 Minute Meals book and there are loads of excellent suggestions in there. His very evident Tory-ness and former fake cockney geezer persona notwithstanding, where he's been successful is in making his ideas accessible. People are more likely to have a go at it themselves if it looks like something they could do.

Spot on about making his recipes accessible.

Can’t say I’ve picked up on the tory aspect you mention though.

That and his unearthing by the late, great Carluccio are definite huge mitigating circumstances.

And yes, he is very very good too I must admit.

Would have a beer with him before Blumenthal for instance, for sure.

Having read his biography I reckon he’d be fascinating to have a beer with.

His control and anger issues, how it influenced his style of cooking and the argument he had with his parents neighbour that almost cost him his marriage would make me want to talk to him all night.

I had a nice chat with Mr Corrigan in his former Stephen's Green restaurant once - while I was shovelling in his fish pie and drinking a bottle of Chablis... and I said it would be nice if he could join me for a drink... and he reluctantly declined, saying he feared the amount he might wish to drink would make him "rude to the customers".

Top. Bloke.

When I did my training in 05/06 the course tutor was very friendly with all the London chefs and once a month I’d go up and just volunteer for the day for the experience.

Corrigan was already my favourite chef on telly from when he did Full on Food (was a cooking programme done in the style of top gear if that makes sense).

We got talking and he was interested in why I was doing the training but working in mental health and not kitchens. We talked about my Nan, Cork, Kinsale and he seemed genuinely interested and supportive of some twat just wanting to learn for the sake of enjoyment.

Asked if I wanted to join a few of them for a drink after the service...you can imagine my response!

Having read his biography I reckon he’d be fascinating to have a beer with.

His control and anger issues, how it influenced his style of cooking and the argument he had with his parents neighbour that almost cost him his marriage would make me want to talk to him all night.

Yeah, it's more the "food as art obsession" that's not my cup of tea.

But I could well be selling him short, and truth be known, I'd have a drink with just about anyone interesting, most of the time.

I did some work with Curtis Stone (of Surfing the Menu origins - he learned under Pierre-White) and he was very very engaging, accessible (and booze-worthy!)

I also took him on a little tour of the market in my home town, Hobart, when he and I were there.

Food is such a fascinating subject - and its practitioners.

• Upvote 1

But I could well be selling him short, and truth be known, I'd have a drink with just about anyone interesting, most of the time.

I did some work with Curtis Stone (of Surfing the Menu origins) and he was very very engaging, accessible (and booze-worthy!)

I took him on a little tour of the market in my home town, Hobart.

It’s really not my preference but it does intrigue me.

I would be far more interested in why he’s threatening to kill a neighbour with loaded shotgun in hand and the way that influenced his cooking.

I did some work with Curtis Stone (of Surfing the Menu origins - he learned under Pierre-White) and he was very very engaging, accessible (and booze-worthy!)

I also took him on a little tour of the market in my home town, Hobart, when he and I were there.

Nice one! He always comes across really well whenever I’ve seen him on telly.

What you do for work to get that opportunity?

Nice one! He always comes across really well whenever I’ve seen him on telly.

What you do for work to get that opportunity?

I wrote some ads for a major supermarket chain here (Coles)... with him as the celebrity presenter.

He's been the face of Coles now since 2009 - when I wrote the launch ad.  I subsequently did "Christmas" and "Easter" campaigns with him.

I fucking love Kinsale.  Ate at a great place called Fishy Fishy there.

• Upvote 1

Corrigan recommended an Italian restaurant in Cork that I took Carly too.

We’re sat having our starters and there’s a table of gay guys who I felt kept looking at me.

Me: Look at the those guys eyeing me up babe, if you’re not putting out tonight I’m on a promise there.

Carly: You do realise they’re tv presenters don’t you?

Me: No. But they all obviously fancy me.

Carly: They’re the guys from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. They don’t fancy you, they think you’re dressed like a cunt!

Not my finest hour. She thought it hilarious.

I have a shed load of cooking cooks im lookimg to sell. I can list them on here but they are perfect condition on the whole and various regions

Brazil

Ukraine

Ghana

Persian

Obviously postage wouldn't be cheap per book but if anyone is interested in a few i can ship them via a courier cheaper.

Some good books,want about £5 each or a few cheaper

Anyone interested let me know and ill list them

What Ukrainian dishes do you do out of curiosity?

Of all the celebrity chefs, I'd most like to eat food made by Blumenthal. I find his obsession with perfection and inventive scientific approach very intriguing. I get that you often can't make what he makes (let me just get that liquid nitrogen I have out the freezer) but being a vegetarian I'm used to that.

Nice one. Bet you had some fun doing that.

Cork, Kinsale, Cobh - love that area of the country! Frank Henderman’s Belvelly Smokehouse in Cobh is out of this world.

Cobh is totally ace.

Holidaying at Fota golf resort a few years back (NOT playing golf)... went down to Cobh, just my then 4-and-a-half-year-old son and I, one afternoon.

Had a bowl of chips and chowder I think, watching the ships come in.

And then of course, learned soon enough that it was last port of call for the Titanic.  Had no idea.

Fucking incredible.

Very lucky to be on a cruise the past few days. Was in Key West today and stopped at a restaurant from the programme Diners, Drive In’s and Dives. Just a hole in the wall type of place but had a lobster roll. Delicious. Packed with loads of lobster, freshly toasted and buttered bun. Best ever. Then a slice of key lime pie, which seemed fitting in the environ. Washed down with a cold bottle of locally brewed beer. Spent the afternoon strolling the streets with Mrs G. Bought a Cuban cigar and smoked it on the top deck beneath the stars just before. Great day.

• Upvote 3