You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sausage egg & chips

Redder Lurtz

Thanks to this thread, I had sausage rolls with beans on toast for tea last night. Thank you, GF. Thank you.

Back home I had this one mate who used to do an odd meal of a Sunday. He would take a frozen Tesco's pizza, dump a tin of baked beans over top of it, and cook them together. Wrong'un, or mad genius?

Guest ShoePiss
Thanks to this thread, I had sausage rolls with beans on toast for tea last night. Thank you, GF. Thank you.

Back home I had this one mate who used to do an odd meal of a Sunday. He would take a frozen Tesco's pizza, dump a tin of baked beans over top of it, and cook them together. Wrong'un, or mad genius?

Did you make your own sausage rolls? I'm planning on doing just this in the next few days.

Nah mate, I wouldnt know where to begin. I got these off a cumbrian lad has a farm about an hour from here. Raises, butchers and sausages them himself.

Top man really, whose devotion to the cause of expat sausagery I have to admire. He moved over here to drive for a haulage firm, bringing his family and everything, and spent two years trying every available pork product before determining that no bastard in this country knew how to make a decent buggering sausage. Faced with such a dilemma, him and the wife did the only reasonable thing under the circumstances. They bought a herd of pigs and a few acres, built a small processing plant and now make the only defensible cumberland sausage in the whole of western canada.

God bless him. Saved me the trouble, anyway.

Ha that's right, I remember you mentioning that gem of a find. Pretty easy though mate, sausage meat and puff pastry.

Make them at christmas and mix in some flaked chillies with the sausage meat & a line of cranberry sauce before you roll them up. Simple and unspeakably good.

Had a cheese and onion pie washed down with tea from Tebay services on the way home from 'a trip to Liverpool' last night. Fantastic. They do some great food there. Can thoroughly recommend the steak and black pudding pie too

Had a cheese and onion pie washed down with tea from Tebay services on the way home from 'a trip to Liverpool' last night. Fantastic. They do some great food there. Can thoroughly recommend the steak and black pudding pie too

Fuck, that sounds nice.

Laying in bed here and my tummy just rumbled.

If you're on the M6 you havent been and you like your food I would thoroughly recommend stopping there. They have a counter just as you go in North and South selling drinks and snacks (where I got the pie from) a great cafe and a farm shop with a butchers and cheese and deli counter. Going south I bought a slab of currant slice and some fantastic looking ginger biscuits with one end dipped in plain chocolate. It will be a tricky decision at coffee time today

Guest ShoePiss

Black pudding in a pie, never heard of this but I don't think it can go wrong. Unless....when you say steak do you mean like the traditional steak pie filling with gravy or something else? I don't like the idea of gravy and black pudding.

Black pudding in a pie, never heard of this but I don't think it can go wrong. Unless....when you say steak do you mean like the traditional steak pie filling with gravy or something else? I don't like the idea of gravy and black pudding.

I guess it is a traditional steak pie filling but it has a really rich consistency and the black pudding has kind of melted into it....sorry, not describing it very well. Take it from me, they are very good