You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Brilliant yesterday, too bad about Lucas going off, i think Allen will be a big part of our attacking play as the season goes on. And him having to take on the defensive role it kind of held him back a little, top class performance either way and it finally looks like we've got a top central midfield again. Can't wait to see Sahin coming in aswell.

... 'but we need to keep wee Jay as back up to Lucas as Allen won't be able to play the defensive role .... ' yeah right ... heard far too many nuggets make that comment in the last 2 weeks ... I'd say the issue has been put to bed ... he looks like he could play for any top side in Spain, Italy etc and not be out of place .. quality player.

Been watching the game again on LFCtv, he was amazing. He looks like he can play all aspects of midfield not limited to being a DM or AM a proper all round midfielder a player we've missed since xabi kept us ticking along. I could honestly see Lucas being dropped and the midfield or Allen sahin and gerrard being far more dynamic and mouth watering.

See ? Growing already, and with a few more performances like he showed yesterday he'll soon be 6' 5"

Buck:

I think the Liverpool supporters will enjoy watching this kid play football.

He’s five foot six but in terms of a footballer, he is seven foot six. He is absolutely immense – his courage to get on the ball, his body work is fantastic; how he reads the game, his football intelligence. This kid will play at the top and is playing at the top.’

We paid £15million for him and when he came in, I said very quickly that the price would double.

People probably laughed at me. He will play here for many years and the supporters will love this kid.

The Sunderland fans singing "Thank you very much for buying Hendo" on his debut last season was a reliable indicator of that. At least Allen looks like his ability extends beyond vampirically sucking money out of the club.

Yet, you defend Carroll.

Weird.

Looks a player!! Wasn't exactly overjoyed when he signed as I hadn't seen much of him but these two games he has excelled. Exactly the sort of player we needed, he's clever on the ball and positionally always available to receive the ball and never gives away possession! You just know he is gonna turn into a very very good footballer and one we will be thankful to have!

You got a link to that mate?

Yaya Toure on Liverpool: This fixture is always hard, but, this was the hardest game I've played in since I've been in England. #LFC #MCFC - Liverpool | Frrole

i presume it is authentic, a lot of different places are reporting it

take that the likes of scott parker, football isn't about running around with a manic look on your face and winning last-ditch tackles, yes that'll get the populist vote - but real footballers don't lose the ball in the first place

allen is class

Allen stats for the City game

• 43 out of 46 passes completed (93%)
  • didn’t misplace a pass until the 2nd half
  • completed (100%) of his passes in our half and (85%) in the middle of the park
  • accuracy drops to (57%) in the more crowded final third
  • out of 57 touches, only 1 was misplaced
  • lost possession only 4 times in 90 minutes
  • Gerard and Shelvey lost the ball 29 times between the two of them
  • won (57%) of his ground duels, but only (33%) of his tackles were successful
  • for a player of only 5’6, he still won (25%) of his aerial duels

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Manc mate after the game yesterday:

"Don't like what Rodgers has done with your midfield at all. Where's this years Adams or Downing. Gutted."

Did raise a smile.

Same here. Just don't tell him we've got one of the best central midfielders in Europe to come into that midfield.