You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

I reckon this is as good as a done deal so let's weigh up the pros and cons.

I think he has the potential to be a very good player. There are no obvious weaknesses to his game and he should - in theory at least - slot in perfectly alongside Gerrard and Lucas. Where this leaves the likes of Henderson, Adam and Spearing is another issue. It seems likely that one or more of them will be out the door before long.

If we can get him for £12 million or thereabout I think it will represent very good value for money.

I reckon this is as good as a done deal so let's weigh up the pros and cons.

I think he has the potential to be a very good player. There are no obvious weaknesses to his game and he should - in theory at least - slot in perfectly alongside Gerrard and Lucas. Where this leaves the likes of Henderson, Adam and Spearing is another issue. It seems likely that one or more of them will be out the door before long.

If we can get him for £12 million or thereabout I think it will represent very good value for money.

Lucas and Oscar- know the do look talent of the future.

I think people are expecting too much of him.

He's good at retaining possession and moving it about, but I don't think he's not going to be making many killer passes and he won't really bring much goals to the team from what I've seen of him.

I think £15m is way too much for him, we should be paying closer to half of that fee.

I think that is too much, Speo has to be worth 5m.

I'd say around the £3 million mark personally. He's not been hugely successful here but could do a job for a smaller Premiership team.

Ideally I'd like to see us Start the season with a midfield three of Gerrard Lucas and Allen. With Shelvey, Henderson and Adam as the alternatives.

I'd like to see Aquilani involved, but It doesn't seem like he wants to stay here, so I'd ship both him and Spearing out, as we are overrun with midfielders.

Watched a few videos of this lad recently after not remembering watching him play. Looks like a really direct player, with a burst of pace and willing to run at defenders. Also looks to have good close control.

Can see why he is highly thought of.

Watched a few videos of this lad recently after not remembering watching him play. Looks like a really direct player, with a burst of pace and willing to run at defenders. Also looks to have good close control.

Can see why he is highly thought of.

I watched some games too. Neat and tidy. Yes. 15m? No way. Welsh Xavi? No way. Controls games? No Way.

If Rodgers can get us moving off the ball the way Swansea did and get henderson the same passing options Allen had. Henderson would comfortably out-perform IMO.

I'd say around the £3 million mark personally. He's not been hugely successful here but could do a job for a smaller Premiership team.

Ideally I'd like to see us Start the season with a midfield three of Gerrard Lucas and Allen. With Shelvey, Henderson and Adam as the alternatives.

I'd like to see Aquilani involved, but It doesn't seem like he wants to stay here, so I'd ship both him and Spearing out, as we are overrun with midfielders.

Only one defensive midfielder there. If I had my way, Spearing, Aquilani AND Adam would be out giving us the following in midfield;

Gerrard Lucas Allen

Henderson NEW DM Shelvey

Btw, i know this contradicts the above but this thread is way too early. Allen hasnt signed and I can see us not even getting him.

No issue with the player - as I haven't seen enough - or the price - that's the manager's prerogative - but if I was getting us a midfielder, I would be looking for someone who can play in place of, or alongside, Gerrard. I think that is a bigger priority. His fitness is utterly unreliable and we need a player to replicate the goals and assists we used to be able to bank on a fit Gerrard providing.

Ideally this would have been done two years ago, but then ideally we would have signed at least one decent winger in the past 15 years.

I watched some games too. Neat and tidy. Yes. 15m? No way. Welsh Xavi? No way. Controls games? No Way.

If Rodgers can get us moving off the ball the way Swansea did and get henderson the same passing options Allen had. Henderson would comfortably out-perform IMO.

Having seen Jordan Henderson last season, that's a pretty scathing assessment.

Only one defensive midfielder there. If I had my way, Spearing, Aquilani AND Adam would be out giving us the following in midfield;

Gerrard Lucas Allen

Henderson NEW DM Shelvey

Btw, i know this contradicts the above but this thread is way too early. Allen hasnt signed and I can see us not even getting him.

That's a good point, It could be an argument for keeping Spearing and selling Adam. Spearing would be happier with a squad role than Adam, and Adam will be on higher wages and would command a higher transfer fee.