You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Scholes was world class. There would be no one arguing about that if we brought him through all those years ago. I don't see the point in denying it just cause he helped those cunts to countless league titles instead.

He was world class, yeah, but he isn't Xavi, Souness and Zidane combined; as some people seem to see him.

• 3 months later...

May have been on the "Should Gerrard be dropped thread"; someone questioned whether Scholes was as good as some (of us) were advocating (I may even have put him on a par with Gerrard in one of my posts). Someone replied that he was overrated (like here), he wasn't in the same class as Gerrard, using that he wasn't even among their top 10 players as an argument. I've always been told by my Manc mates (I unfortunately have a couple of them:-() how good he is/was, so I was surprised to see the relative non-appreciation (rivalry notwithstanding) for what is surely the best English CM (along with Gerrard who in my imo is not as much a CM) since Gascoigne.

While not exactly conclusive evidence (small sample size and questionable setup etc), I think the esteem with which he's held at our biggest rivals supporters gives a pretty good indication how good he has been:

RedCafe's top 25 footballers results - RedCafe.net

RedCafe's top 20 Manchester United players of all-time results - RedCafe.net

Granted they are online polls, and you may argue about the validity all you want (Platini at 17th in the overall list is pretty shocking:-)), just thought it was interesting to see how they rated their own players.

Could have linked this to the Real/Fake Ronaldo thread as well:-)

He's a horrible ginger wanker but a class footballer. Not as good as the very best, you hear mancs saying he was up there with the likes of Zidane which is stupid. But still a top player. Better than the other dicks who played in their best midfield (Keane, Giggs, Beckham).

In my arse he is.

IMO, Xavi is only second to Messi as the best footballer on the planet.

Ronaldo and Messi are a level above every other footballer including Xavi and Iniesta. They are world class obviously but Ronaldo and Messi are a notch above them. I already think they are the best two footballers of all time and when they finish their careers I think that will probably be the view held by most people.

In regards to Scholes I still hold the view I had at the start of this thread. He was a great goal scoring midfielder in his early days when he was at his peak. He then reinvented himself as the player he is today. It didn't happen overnight but this opinion that he has been running midfields since his early days did. He's not even that exceptional now he still relies on the other players to win the games at both ends of the field.

The mancs didn't need a Gerrard because they had brilliant wingers and forwards year in year out. God knows how good they would have been if Gerrard would have played for them. I reckon they would have a few more European Cups on their hands. Turn that round and say what would have happened if we would have had Scholes instead of Gerrard. I dread to think the state the club would be in now.

This is the first time in his career that Gerrard has had to rely on other players because he isn't doing it all himself and he hasn't got the luxury Scholes has. There is literally no comparison for me.

• 3 months later...

Manchester United footballer Paul Scholes has had his car stolen after he left its engine running while defrosting the windscreen.

Police said the grey Chevrolet estate had been taken from the drive of his house in Greenfield, Oldham at around 08:00 GMT on Monday.

A police spokesman said "inquiries to locate the car are ongoing".

Scholes is understood to have the car as part of the motor company's sponsorship of the Premier League club.

The spokesman added that Greater Manchester Police had issued warnings about "ice bandits - offenders who target vehicles left outside houses, early in the morning, with the engine running while the owner returns to the house".

"Motorists may be tempted to leave their vehicle with the engine running while they go inside to stay in the warm - however, it only takes a few seconds to steal a car when keys have been left in the ignition," he said.

BBC News - Manchester United's Paul Scholes has car stolen

According to reports he tried to tackle the thieves, but was way too late.

i don't mind scholes plenty of players can learn from his attitude,just turns up plays then goes home to his family no big time charlie no bad publicity.i also think although i maybe wrong he doesn't have an agent he just sits downs sorts out a contract and then gets a lawyer just to check it out.

Very good player, can pass a ball, and has a level head.

Not in the same league as Gerrard, but in a far better team.

You can deduct 25% from most players reputations if they in a highly dominant team. That's not to say they aren't fabulous players, just that a quality pass or tackle from a player in a top team will be deemed 'phenomenal', whilst a mid table team will be called 'decent'.

In the old days, Scholes had a fair shot on him, and used to score a few in the style of Lampard and Gerrard. But he stopped doing that many years ago (arguably because United didn't need him to).

If Viera, Gerrard, Keane, Lampard and Scholes we're lining up to be chosen for a 5-a-side game.... I'd be handing Scholesy the gloves.