You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Looking for jobs whilst in employment

fowler9

I'm having some issues here, I've applied for 5 jobs in the last couple of weeks & have had 4 rejection e-mails & one who didn't bother their arse to reply.

I appear to have ended up in position where I'm a bit too old (38), have no career qualifications, get paid more than most people in my position (not an awful lot btw) but can't afford to take a pay cut (due to my mortgage payments). I also have a job where I have to work with someone I can't stand, the Company has decided to sell our division this year, my boss will retire in the next 3 years & our Director has admitted that he'll shut down the Edinburgh office when she goes so I don't have any job security further ahead than the end of 2017.

I'm fucking pissed off with it & the other thing is I'm dreading actually getting an interview somewhere because I'm awful at them.

• Upvote 1

I'm having some issues here, I've applied for 5 jobs in the last couple of weeks & have had 4 rejection e-mails & one who didn't bother their arse to reply.

I appear to have ended up in position where I'm a bit too old (38), have no career qualifications, get paid more than most people in my position (not an awful lot btw) but can't afford to take a pay cut (due to my mortgage payments). I also have a job where I have to work with someone I can't stand, the Company has decided to sell our division this year, my boss will retire in the next 3 years & our Director has admitted that he'll shut down the Edinburgh office when she goes so I don't have any job security further ahead than the end of 2017.

I'm fucking pissed off with it & the other thing is I'm dreading actually getting an interview somewhere because I'm awful at them.

Getting a job these days is a cunt. Why not look at doing a night class to add some value to your CV? Something related to your work or at least with additional transferable skills? 

• Upvote 1

Getting a job these days is a cunt. Why not look at doing a night class to add some value to your CV? Something related to your work or at least with additional transferable skills? 

It's good advice that, thanks. I'm already doing a course at night through my job which will last until February 2018 & given we've got a one year old running about in the house, it would be taking the piss if I went for anything else until that's done.

You're right about getting a job though, the biggest laugh is, the boy who sits next to me, sits & does absolutely fuck all every day while I do everything & he got a new job no bother & is leaving at the end of March. Being a hard worker counts for absolutely fuck all when you're trying to get a job.

To old at 38 ? No chance mate. 

I got a call this morning from someone who seen my CV on line. I'm meeting him tomorrow. Its more money but it'll only be a side step really. Things are a bit up in the air in our place right now as the people who operate us on behalf of the investors might be backing away. If they do then any new operator will come in and look to cut costs. My job would be safe as I'm the only one who does what I do but they'll defo look to trim the wages and the bonuses will probably go too. 

One of the good things about working by myself is nobody really knows what I'm doing or where I am at any given time. As long as the jobs done I'm pretty much left alone which has its benefits and I'm sure I'll not get the freedom and flexibility anywhere else as I have now.

I'm 49 mate and my job is for the most part physical hard work. If I'm not to old, your certainly not.

• Upvote 1

I appear to have ended up in position where I'm a bit too old (38), have no career qualifications, get paid more than most people in my position but can't afford to take a pay cut (due to my mortgage payments). I also have a job where I have to work with someone I can't stand, the Company has decided to sell our division this year, my boss will retire in the next 3 years & our Director has admitted that he'll shut down the Edinburgh office when she goes so I don't have any job security further ahead than the end of 2017.

So you've basically got three years left to finally get nasty with your boss?

I used to hate interviews, but when I was a teacher up in Nunavut I had to interview almost every year as I was on contract, as I was not indeterminate... it helped as I am now ace at them. Apply for jobs outside your scope and use those ones to practice for interviews.

Eye contact, if the interviewer is female make sure your eyes stay focused on her eyes..not other bits.

When they ask about the time you were in a conflict situation and how did you resolve it and what you could have done better I find a five to six second reflective pause and then, Well, Ms Schulz there has been a few good examples in my previous careers, but the one I think best reflects my strengths and that I am most proud of is .....and then finish it off with ... if you would like to hear about a time when I didnt get a problem solved very well but did learn from it..

Showing up drunk works well, too.

You are applying for the bus operator position and you smell of ale and are ten miuntes late?

I took the 16 here, would be helpful if it came on time. when I am sober I'll be able to keep the schedule on time. So I have demonstated responsible choices ( not drink driving), acknowledged the company has a problem (late buses)? offered a solution (i will drive the 16 when sober) and a positive outfome (I will keep it on time). Now I need a nap and may have to throw up as you fucking women in offices always have the heat on at 30C.

*side note- last two women I met off pof were in HR...no offence to anyone in HR but jesus fucking christ one was like the spanish inquisition and the other let slip that she had three cats. The break up text or whatever it is they call it these days was like a form letter one of them....sorry glen but moving forward i do not think we are compatible and i wish you luck in the future, all the best. The cat one, I'm allergic to cats and besides, three cats, no children, and HR? Good lord, imagine the forms to fill out just to get in her knickers and cat stories I'd have to hear about.

I was at a pub with workmates when I got the tetx..and just burst out laughing...they are all married I told them to go home and hug your wives.

• Upvote 2

To old at 38 ? No chance mate.

I got a call this morning from someone who seen my CV on line. I'm meeting him tomorrow. Its more money but it'll only be a side step really. Things are a bit up in the air in our place right now as the people who operate us on behalf of the investors might be backing away. If they do then any new operator will come in and look to cut costs. My job would be safe as I'm the only one who does what I do but they'll defo look to trim the wages and the bonuses will probably go too.

One of the good things about working by myself is nobody really knows what I'm doing or where I am at any given time. As long as the jobs done I'm pretty much left alone which has its benefits and I'm sure I'll not get the freedom and flexibility anywhere else as I have now.

I'm 49 mate and my job is for the most part physical hard work. If I'm not to old, your certainly not.

Transit niche demographic for new drivers, and they need about a 100 a year is middle aged men 45-55, Filipino and East Indian lads.

Every single new training class has one of each.

You like buses Mook?

I appear to have ended up in position where I'm a bit too old (38), have no career qualifications, get paid more than most people in my position (not an awful lot btw) but can't afford to take a pay cut (due to my mortgage payments). I also have a job where I have to work with someone I can't stand, the Company has decided to sell our division this year, my boss will retire in the next 3 years & our Director has admitted that he'll shut down the Edinburgh office when she goes so I don't have any job security further ahead than the end of 2017.

I'm fucking pissed off with it & the other thing is I'm dreading actually getting an interview somewhere because I'm awful at them.

What a shitey time to be looking for work that pays a decent salary, Mook.

I don't think I'm qualified to offer any constructive advice about your sector but fingers crossed you get something sorted soon. Uncertainty is a bad business

• Upvote 1

Just a bit of advise to anyone who's looking for work.

If your on Facebook, lock it so only people your friends with can see your profile and stuff. Or better still, don't use the same email address you use for FB on your CV. When we're looking to recruit the first thing we do is look at their FB if we can. You'd be amazed at the amount of CVs we bin because of the things see on their FB.

Ha ha, thanks for the replies (sorry I'm out of rep). I can't drive NP so I'm not sure I'm cut out for a job as a bus driver.

Dougie, I didn't mean I'm past it in terms of getting jobs, more that people who do jobs about my level in an office are more likely to be in their 20s, I spent too long dicking about trying to be a musician & have landed myself in a bit of a corner. If you were an employer would you take on a 25 year old or a 38 year old with the same qualifications? I suppose some people might take on the 38 year old with the mortgage & the family because they have everything to lose. I think I need to be a bit more positive but it's difficult at the moment when I feel like I have this impending doom of being laid off around the corner.

It's good advice that, thanks. I'm already doing a course at night through my job which will last until February 2018 & given we've got a one year old running about in the house, it would be taking the piss if I went for anything else until that's done.

You're right about getting a job though, the biggest laugh is, the boy who sits next to me, sits & does absolutely fuck all every day while I do everything & he got a new job no bother & is leaving at the end of March. Being a hard worker counts for absolutely fuck all when you're trying to get a job.

I feel like your mother here but what did he do/what has he got to offer that sets him apart from you?

Ha ha, thanks for the replies (sorry I'm out of rep). I can't drive NP so I'm not sure I'm cut out for a job as a bus driver.

Dougie, I didn't mean I'm past it in terms of getting jobs, more that people who do jobs about my level in an office are more likely to be in their 20s, I spent too long dicking about trying to be a musician & have landed myself in a bit of a corner. If you were an employer would you take on a 25 year old or a 38 year old with the same qualifications? I suppose some people might take on the 38 year old with the mortgage & the family because they have everything to lose. I think I need to be a bit more positive but it's difficult at the moment when I feel like I have this impending doom of being laid off around the corner.

mate, you'll be fine.  Positive mental attitude sounds a bit Gordon Gecko, but it does work wonders.  I handed my notice in at my place a couple of weeks ago, as it was making me frustrated and unhappy.  I didn't have a job to go to, but I'm reasonably confident I'll be ok, and I'm in my 50s.  I'm tons happier now, and I'm looking at doing a mix and match to bring in the readies, perhaps you could do the same.  Have you thought about offering drum classes to supplement your income while keeping your hand in? 

• Upvote 1

Personally I'd go for the older person because they've done all the partying and living it up. I reckon you'd be seen as more dependable. 

Talking about backing yourself into a corner. I'm at that stage now. I honestly don't think I could carry on with this kind of work until retirement. Problem is, there's fuck all else I can do.

I feel like your mother here but what did he do/what has he got to offer that sets him apart from you?

I'm not sure, he's 26, a bit more clean cut & seems to get a new job every 6 months to a year so he's probably a lot better at the whole game.

Stringy, good shout on the drumming thing, my hands aren't great with tendinitis but I could certainly help people with reading, rudiments & applying them to the drum kit, believe it or not I could quite easily do tennis coaching if I got myself fit.

I'm not sure, he's 26, a bit more clean cut & seems to get a new job every 6 months to a year so he's probably a lot better at the whole game.

As painful as it might be, get him to have a look at your CV etc before he disappears over the horizon

mate, you'll be fine.  Positive mental attitude sounds a bit Gordon Gecko, but it does work wonders.  I handed my notice in at my place a couple of weeks ago, as it was making me frustrated and unhappy.  I didn't have a job to go to, but I'm reasonably confident I'll be ok, and I'm in my 50s.  I'm tons happier now, and I'm looking at doing a mix and match to bring in the readies, perhaps you could do the same.  Have you thought about offering drum classes to supplement your income while keeping your hand in? 

iceman.gif

• Upvote 3

Stringy, good shout on the drumming thing, my hands aren't great with tendinitis but I could certainly help people with reading, rudiments & applying them to the drum kit, believe it or not I could quite easily do tennis coaching if I got myself fit.

Fucking Andy Murray has a bit of success and now all the Scots think they are ace at tennis....

• Upvote 1

Fuck you Canadian. I'm on my iPad thingy. Hoorah.

As for interviews and rejection. Forget it and move on. Nowt you can do so on to the next one.

I applied for some jobs that you would think were a piss take. As in as I a mate was sending me them matching me to a tee.

Must have IT skills. I have a degree. Sales experience an advantage. Try 25 years. Must live in area. It's two streets away. Blah blah . Only to get sorry you have been unsuccessful e-mails. Forget it and move on.

Just a bit of advise to anyone who's looking for work.

If your on Facebook, lock it so only people your friends with can see your profile and stuff. Or better still, don't use the same email address you use for FB on your CV. When we're looking to recruit the first thing we do is look at their FB if we can. You'd be amazed at the amount of CVs we bin because of the things see on their FB.

Or better still, since you are an adult, maybe no Facebook eh?