You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No more British players

Sloan

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way we are going about buying mainly British style players to improve us as a team because the PL is where our priorities lie,at least for this season anyway.

If we get back into the CL then I believe we will be able to bring in a couple of big name foreigners to add an extra touch of class in Europe.

These lads will also settle a lot quicker than a Pierre or Jose might do initially,look back a few years to see how we struggled initially under Rafa to see how long it can take to gel a lot of players,particularly overseas ones.

Its great to see owners who see that we absolutely need to spend money to get back to where we belong and i think they will be rewarded for their ambition.

Thank fuck we never had the internet back in 87/88 when Barnes,Beardsley,Houghton and Aldo were introduced to an a side that needed upgrading quickly.

The humble pie would have been eaten by the bucket load!

I'm more optimistic than I've been for ages as I've seen this Dalglish fella operate before and i tell you what he's not too shabby.

I agree with the guardian that Downing is under-rated. He's exactly the sort of player England fans don't appreciate. Look at the variety of goals he scored last season. Left foot, right foot, with his head. Good attitude, very much a team player and plays with his head up (unlike many other England wide men - Walcott, Lennon, Young).

20m sounds excessive but let's think about it. If we offered 12m then 15m just recently, would we suddenly have met Villa's 20m valuation? With 7 weeks of the transfer window still to go? After all the haggling over Adam? I reckon Villa knew they wouldn't get 20m, it was just negotiation. I doubt we've paid over 17m.

The problem here is that we want a club that wins things year in year out, that Blackburn side won the premiership once, we don't know if the side could've had another year at the top winning things.

My worry is that our playing style will be quite predictable with players like Henderson, Downing and Carroll and teams will quickly suss us out and devise gameplans to stop us being effective. Also with teams that have one dimensional styles of play they often hit a ceiling and can't go above that, a bit like Aston Villa under O'Neill who only had one style of play, when that failed they dropped a lot of points.

I agree with your point but Ray Harford and Roy Hodgson were not of the same calibre as Kenny and that was a very key part in their demise so we'll never know.

I'm not necessarily of the opinion we will now sweep all before us but we have plenty of players who can score goals and very different types of goals too (Gerrard, Carroll, Suarez, Adam, Downing, Kuyt).

My main concern is at the back as it stands. Throw a young Sami Hyypia in to the mix (if only it was that easy) and I believe we wouldn't be too far off.

Chelsea have the likes of Malouda, Drogba, Torres and Lampard who can create goals out of moments of inspiration.

Is that the Malouda that 99% of the forum were saying we dodged a bullet a couple years back. Would you have said the same about Lampard 10 years ago when he was the same age as Henderson? Drogba is, without doubt on the wane and is not even guaranteed a start. We have Luis, Gerrard. I'd rather have Downing than Malouda and an as yet unknown quantity in Carroll, but if you want to write him/them off, that puts you in a bracket with all the other know it all, football manager, sky generation shit fans.

You can't even express an opinion without getting jumped on. No matter, I know many Reds agree with me but just fear going against the grain.

I will be proven right come end of season and most people also know it. When we're competing against the 5 teams that finished ahead of us last season, we need a better pool of players to best them.

Yep, these are Roy Hodgson signings. I do trust Kenny to get these bitches in line though.

Sloan,

Just consider for one moment ( I know you are on summer hols right now and you are busy playing Dance Dance Revolution and madden NFL 12 and the like) but take some time out of your busy schedule to consider this; IF the Football Gods hadn't been kind to us we could very well have been relegated last season, gone into receivership and still had RH as manager, lost most (if not all ) of our top players and for all intents and purposes "done a Leeds" (look it up on the internet).

Instead we have the King as our manager, new owners and money to spend. That in itself should be a season long feel good factor right there. Now, also consider that Kenny has already won the league many times before (yes, before you even touched a joypad or your joystick) has won European cups and just about everything you can win in the game. Perhaps he knows what he is doing, no?

Also consider the fact that we still have other new signings to come and 'dead wood' players that are yet to be sold or moved on (and off the wage bill), which will bring our net spend down considerably. WE ARE NOT IN THE CL YET. This means that the 'top' or 'already proven' players are unlikely to join us this season. Kenny has to start from somewhere and this is it. The best thing you can do is enjoy the moment. We are at the start of something BIG. Try and get behind the team and the manager and be positive.

If you can't wait for the new dawn to arrive, I suggest you start to support Man Citeh or Chelsea or one of those teams. However, if you ask the die hard supporters of those two teams (just as an example), "did you support your team any less when they weren't where they are now?" I am sure the answer will be a resounding "no!". Because life isn't always about getting what you want when you want it. Having to wait until you get success, only makes it that much sweeter when it arrives. That's why if feels so good when you reach level 10 and defeat the big boss on Crysis 2.

Now do fuckoff and stop being such a spacker.

IF the Football Gods hadn't been kind to us we could very well have been relegated last season, gone into receivership and still had RH as manager, lost most (if not all ) of our top players and for all intents and purposes "done a Leeds" (look it up on the internet).

I think you had plenty of ammunition without having to resort to "we may have been relegated had it not been for the football gods"

We would never have been relegated last season under any circumstance. Even under Roy.

I think you had plenty of ammunition without having to resort to "we may have been relegated had it not been for the football gods"

We would never have been relegated last season under any circumstance. Even under Roy.

If Kenny hadn't taken over when he did, I think it would have been a close call.

I agree with your point but Ray Harford and Roy Hodgson were not of the same calibre as Kenny and that was a very key part in their demise so we'll never know.

I'm not necessarily of the opinion we will now sweep all before us but we have plenty of players who can score goals and very different types of goals too (Gerrard, Carroll, Suarez, Adam, Downing, Kuyt).

My main concern is at the back as it stands. Throw a young Sami Hyypia in to the mix (if only it was that easy) and I believe we wouldn't be too far off.

Agree with the defender part, we've got a collection of decent defenders but none of them are world class. Carra needs replacing sooner or later, Agger can't be relied on with his injuries to complete a full season and Skrtel is just pretty average in comparison to those two. If we sign one centre back that's near enough world class and a reliable left back then we'll be in a really strong position to challenge Arsenal and Tottenham for 4th place. I still think to challenge the heavyweights (City, Chelsea and Man Utd) we'll need an attacking player that gives us an extra element of unpredictability though like Suarez and Gerrard do.

Is that the Malouda that 99% of the forum were saying we dodged a bullet a couple years back. Would you have said the same about Lampard 10 years ago when he was the same age as Henderson? Drogba is, without doubt on the wane and is not even guaranteed a start. We have Luis, Gerrard. I'd rather have Downing than Malouda and an as yet unknown quantity in Carroll, but if you want to write him/them off, that puts you in a bracket with all the other know it all, football manager, sky generation shit fans.

He took time to settle, it doesn't mean he hasn't been great for Chelsea over the last couple of years though. If you still think we dodged a bullet by not signing Malouda then I just don't think there's a point debating with you as it's clear as day that Malouda is just what we've needed for the past 10/20 years on the left wing.

Drogba on the wane? I wish we had more players on the wane then, as 11 goals and 15 assists isn't a bad tally at all for a player that's supposedly going downhill.

Who have I written off? I said they aren't 'match winners' they're just decent players who play to their strengths well, that's not writing them off, that's just my opinion on them. Is everyone that disagrees with you a sky generation, football manager know it all shit fan, then?

Why do people say this is a wind-up? If Roy signed all these players we'd all be having breakdowns. I've not said these are bad players. They will improve the squad but I just don't think they will take us any higher than what we achieved last season.

Sorry if that opinion offends people, I thought I was at a forum where such opinions could be freely expressed. Obviously I was wrong.

You weren't wrong. No need to apologize. You freely expressed your opinion, and we (as a group) freely expressed our opinion.

Our opinion is that you're a fucking mong.

This thread has ceased being either constructive or entertaining. In fact we went past that stage as soon as it got past the original post.

Mods, please lock or delete this thread as the responses here are reflecting badly on the quality of this forum.

Thanks.

This thread has ceased being either constructive or entertaining. In fact we went past that stage as soon as it got past the original post.

I think you'll find it ceased to be constructive or entertaining from the moment it was conceived.

Thanks.

Mods, please lock or delete this thread as the responses here are reflecting badly on the quality of this forum.

Thanks.

nob jockey

Looking at that Blackburn squad it's easy to see why they collapsed after Kenny left. Injuries to the likes of Wilcox Ripley and Le Saux whilst Shearer and Batty left.

It was a good side though, maybe only Shearer, Batty and Le Saux succeeded elsewhere but remember Sherwood, Sutton (who Shearer liked playing alongside) Hendry and the beforementioned Wilcox and Ripley and you've got the basis of a quality side.