You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

We used to lead the world in striking. I don't even mean that sarcastically - we were actually good at it. One of the consequences of Thatcherism is a whole generation was un-taught the techniques. There's a desperation in some quarters to rubber stamp the planning of strike action currently but does it REALLY seem that well-planned? A strike is a weapon, and a lot of the current action strikes me as being equivalent to scattershot shooting. 

12 hours ago, Strontium said:

I've always felt that someone ought to have the right opinion.

Just to reiterate, I have no issue with people wanting more money. I just reject the idea you're inconveniencing me for my benefit.

These people are an integral   part of the services you're using. How do you expect them to get a fair pay rise?

Absolutely woeful, this. 

I believe they had a vox popper on the tele earlier claiming that the rail strikes would ruin his Christmas as he now wouldn’t be able to travel from somewhere like Derby to Doncaster. The internet have discovered that this journey can apparently be easily made by bus in just over an hour. 

(I think it might’ve been the bloke in the Beeb news link posted above. I haven’t watched it yet.) 

1 hour ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Absolutely woeful, this. 

I believe they had a vox popper on the tele earlier claiming that the rail strikes would ruin his Christmas as he now wouldn’t be able to travel from somewhere like Derby to Doncaster. The internet have discovered that this journey can apparently be easily made by bus in just over an hour. 

(I think it might’ve been the bloke in the Beeb news link posted above. I haven’t watched it yet.) 

Susanna Reid is boss. Rachel Reeves shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Labour Party.

43 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Labour won’t commit to a side because they want the Tories to drown in the shit they have created and don’t want to upset any big business they are trying to woo. 

Yep, it's fucking painful to watch. But, as with almost everything coming from the Labour Party under Starmer, you simply have to hope they don't believe or want any of the things they are saying. Anyone to the left of Nick Clegg has to hope that once they're in power they won't be anything like this. 

THE NURSES ARE NOTHING TO WITH US! 

https://news.sky.com/story/potential-criminality-at-labours-largest-donor-two-independent-reports-find-12764041

Two bombshell independent reports into alleged corruption at one of the UK's largest trade unions are to be handed to the police after "potential criminality" was discovered.

Sky News understands that the two separate probes into Unite The Union - one conducted by a senior lawyer and the other by an accountancy firm - found evidence of "eye-watering" overcharging on large contracts.

"There was pricing and overcharging that would make your eyes bleed", said a source. "There are such discrepancies in the money that the police may want to take things further."

Unite, which is the Labour Party's biggest donor, is already the subject of a fraud, bribery and money laundering investigation. In April, the union's London headquarters were raided by police.

This week general secretary Sharon Graham told senior officials that the internal reports will now not be published until police conclude their investigations.

Soon after taking over from Len McCluskey in 2021, Ms Graham commissioned Martin Bowdery KC to investigate her union's vastly over-budget Birmingham hotel and conference centre development.

Initial estimates in 2012 suggested the project, which is now complete, would cost around £7m. The final bill is in excess of £100m.

In one instance a contractor quoted around £90,000 for proposed work, but was eventually paid £1.2m, an unexplained increase of more than 1300%.

Insiders concede the gap between the union's spending on the building and its value is "minimum £31m but could easily be more".

Earlier valuations of the development suggested £70m of members' money may have been wasted.

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Got to take your hat off to people like young Ciaran. Drives a train in the day, ambulance in the night and does a bit of nursing in-between. 

Luckily for the rest of us their are an awful lot more people like Ciaran and they're good enough to find the time to enlighten the rest of us how overpayed their jobs are.

And not just social media. 

Here's another one, kindly given a platform to spout guff by our state broadcaster.

Oh dear suprise suprise the BBC have had to pull the article i posted above from an obvious bullshiter. Looks like the former GB News editor has made a flying start at BBC news. 

23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The Beeb are having a fucking here, 

After the one embarrassment of the Christmas eve kid, 

They've also removed the story to the right now, it turns out the girls story about how she'd miss a weeks lessons was also full of holes. 

They've had to rely on the party girl as back up. Not a good day for the beeb this. They should know people supporting the RMT would check, they're right on the ball regarding social media.

I think there's an important lesson here for unions going forward for two reasons. 

1. Unions should never put themselves in this position again by 'doing a favour' to government, any government, who wants to suppress pay increases for a year.  No dice.  Pay up or we strike, simple ultimatum each year. 

2. Unions unwittingly helped a bad government cook the books for 12 years, and helped these crooks stay elected by pretending the public sector was being properly run.  It wasn't.  It was a lie the unions helped perpetuate, in hindsight they'll not enjoy that. 

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Here they go again... better luck this time,

It's going to happen a lot now until the government settle-up with all public sector workers.  Don't blame the workers for the never-ending strikes, blame the government. 

It's actually unbelievable how they've smashed the performance and staff of public services and yet we're paying more tax than ever.  Fucking work that out.