You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

The stuff they don't want you to see .... It almost like there is a smear campaign against someone who is actively trying to see wealth distributed more evenly and the poor to be able to eat. I'm sure we've seen a similar thing happen before ...... 

A smear campaign against someone fighting for a more equal society?

Nah the good people of this country are too savvy to fall for that.

Though why someone's opinion on the war in Ukraine is relevant to a thread on strike action is anyones guess?

5 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Support for pro-Putin militias doesn't mean support for Putin? Well, it's an opinion.

Do you agree that Ukraine's leadership is far right? Because I think it's a load of bollocks. In fact it sounds like the bollocks Gnasher has been coming out with in the Ukraine thread.

The American press seemed to think it was prior to the invasion. CNN, MSNBC etc we’re known for saying it. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Support for pro-Putin militias doesn't mean support for Putin? Well, it's an opinion.

Do you agree that Ukraine's leadership is far right? Because I think it's a load of bollocks. In fact it sounds like the bollocks Gnasher has been coming out with in the Ukraine thread.

Opposition to Fascism doesn't mean support for Putin. Obviously.

I'm not an expert on the state of Ukrainian politics in 2014, but I'm pretty sure I've heard from reliable sources that there were Fascists in prominent roles back then (y'know, when someone else was President and Eddie Dempsey spoke at that meeting).

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

A common criticism (fair or otherwise) of Gnasher is that he doesn't read the stuff that he posts.

Did you check whether that Twitter thread contained anything at all to support the allegations that Dempsey is pro-Putin?

28 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I can sort of see where this argument comes from, but I think it's wrong. To win a major strike, you need to keep public and political support; and there's no surer way to lose that than striking in the next ten days.

I see both sides myself. But who else gets 10 days off when a 90 year old parent/grandparent dies?

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I see both sides myself. But who else gets 10 days off when a 90 year old parent/grandparent dies?

But she isn't just somebody's grandparent, is she? She's the head of state for a large chunk of the globe, and has been for 70 years. I personally think having a monarchy in 2022 is beyond a bad joke, but you can also see why there's more fuss being made than somebody else's grandma dies. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

But she isn't just somebody's grandparent, is she? She's the head of state for a large chunk of the globe, and has been for 70 years. I personally think having a monarchy in 2022 is beyond a bad joke, but you can also see why there's more fuss being made than somebody else's grandma dies. 

Well,I cared more about my Grandparents, and millions of others about theirs too. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Well,I cared more about my Grandparents, and millions of others about theirs too. 

Yes, we all care about our own Grandparents. Surely you see the difference between you caring about your own grandparents, and much of the nation caring about the longest living monarch in our history. I mean, surely. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, we all care about our own Grandparents. Surely you see the difference between you caring about your own grandparents, and much of the nation caring about the longest living monarch in our history. I mean, surely. 

No I dont. But that's best left to the Monarchy thread. My two Nan's lived into their 90s also but with little fanfare over their struggles to pay their bills and bring up kids while widowed and overseen by 'the longest living Monarch in' whatever.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No I dont. 

Fair enough. If you can't see the difference between your own nan and the nation caring about the Queen, having been the head of state of 32 countries during her 70 year reign, then there really is no way of having a discussion about it. God Save Vlad's Nan. 

On 09/09/2022 at 11:52, Numero Veinticinco said:

Fair enough. If you can't see the difference between your own nan and the nation caring about the Queen, having been the head of state of 32 countries during her 70 year reign, then there really is no way of having a discussion about it. God Save Vlad's Nan. 

Who voted her head of those nations? Did they get a say that she was their head of state? I doubt it. Strangely my Nan was a Royalist,which was completely at odds with her despising the Tories and Thatcher especially. Her use of the 'N' word once when watching a Motown group on a Top of The Pops re-run was a bit of shock too.