You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I got a GP’s letter in the post on Monday. Dated 11 November. And postmarked 24 November. Which was a reminder for something I’d already seen them for on 10 November. 

A whole raft of incompetence and delay. 

Lazy bastard GP receptionists? 

If people feel they need to strike, good for them. I'm sure it's not a decision people normally take lightly, and I imagine we'll be going on strike soon ourselves.

What I don't like is when an inherently selfish act like a strike is presented as some arch point of principle. It's not a matter of principle, you just want more money. Which, of course, you are entitled to request.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Nelly-Matip said:

Maybe. Or just not enough of them and a GP who owns loads of practices, too many to manage effectively and who appears to run them with profit in mind, more than patient care. 

Absolutely. reduce funding/staff etc blame thenm sell it to private companies for more money into the pockets of the super rich. 

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

If people feel they need to strike, good for them. I'm sure it's not a decision people normally take lightly, and I imagine we'll be going on strike soon ourselves.

What I don't like is when an inherently selfish act like a strike is presented as some arch point of principle. It's not a matter of principle, you just want more money. Which, of course, you are entitled to request.

That's literally what it is but ok. 

16 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Not really, many people strike even if they don't want to as an act of solidarity. People lose pay, or aren't themselves always impacted by what the employer is planning, but they down tools anyway to support those who are.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Bring it on the little twat! I'm imagining giving the little bastard a boot to the head right now, feels good!

bbc hinting it could be along the lines of banning emergency workers from striking.

Obviously there is no scope for that to be abused

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

"Inherently selfish" is the opposite of what a strike is.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

"Inherently selfish" is the opposite of what a strike is.

Yeah but remember when he was crying that we had a lockdown during a global pandemic because he couldn't go to the museum. I know who the inherently selfish people are and it certainly isn't the people who want proper working contracts and to be paid enough to feed and clothe their families. 

Give 'us' more money and/or better working conditions that are safe and appropriate for everyone or 'we' will withhold our Labour at financial cost to ourselves. It's not selfless, but it's not entirely selfish either. It's for the entire group, but also for yourself. I can think of more selfish things than losing money for the wider cause of working conditions and pay. 

• Upvote 6