You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

9 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I've always felt that someone ought to have the right opinion.

Just to reiterate, I have no issue with people wanting more money. I just reject the idea you're inconveniencing me for my benefit.

If you were disabled and you needed some help on a train, would you want a second member of staff there, or just the driver?

What about if you were a woman travelling alone on a train and there were a few drunk and leery men giving you hassle?

Or if the train had a problem and had to be evacuated between stations?

RMT members are sacrifing their pay to protect the jobs that keep trains and stations safe and accessible.

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

"Give me more money or I'll hold you to ransom" is as selfish as it gets. Thanks for proving my point.

5 minutes ago, Strontium said:

So they're not withholding their labour to get more money? Because it sure looks like that.

That's a massive climbdown. Withholding labour is not holding anyone to ransom. Nor is it, in many cases, only about money. And giving up your wages to improve things for your colleagues (and the people who use the services you provide) is selfless by any sane definition.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

If you were disabled and you needed some help on a train, would you want a second member of staff there, or just the driver?

What about if you were a woman travelling alone on a train and there were a few drunk and leery men giving you hassle?

Or if the train had a problem and had to be evacuated between stations?

RMT members are sacrifing their pay to protect the jobs that keep trains and stations safe and accessible.

Right, well straight off the bat, you've gone from talking about all strikes to one specific strike. This is fallacy of composition.

8 hours ago, Strontium said:

If people feel they need to strike, good for them. I'm sure it's not a decision people normally take lightly, and I imagine we'll be going on strike soon ourselves.

What I don't like is when an inherently selfish act like a strike is presented as some arch point of principle. It's not a matter of principle, you just want more money. Which, of course, you are entitled to request.

That's an easy argument to make, and many do, while completely ignoring the willing sacrifice most public sector workers have made for the last 12 years.  

Pay suppression was introduced by Tories as a way to pursue their austerity agenda, and year-on-year the government have reneged on the idea that one day soon they would increase wages to catch-up with what they agreed to sacrifice (unions agree a pay settlement each year).  But this year it's reached unacceptable levels of unfairness towards the public sector.  

There is a massive IOU that the Tories are pretending they didn't write.  Nobody should be defending the Tories on this.  It's grotesque that Lynch repeatedly gives the media a proper story to follow up, that of a business being underwritten by government and treating it's workers like shit.  And no news outlet runs with it.  Instead, they try and guilt honest workers into giving up what is rightfully theirs.  

Schrödinger's public sector. Too important to strike and yet not important enough to pay properly. You've enjoyed 12 years of goodwill from rail workers and public sector to not inconvenience you.  And you turn on them after the odd few days of inconvenience rather than support the idea of bosses treating employees with respect.  

It's a shame, but it's not a shock. 

• Upvote 9

20 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That's an easy argument to make, and many do, while completely ignoring the willing sacrifice most public sector workers have made for the last 12 years.  

Pay suppression was introduced by Tories as a way to pursue their austerity agenda, and year-on-year the government have reneged on the idea that one day soon they would increase wages to catch-up with what they agreed to sacrifice (unions agree a pay settlement each year).  But this year it's reached unacceptable levels of unfairness towards the public sector.  

There is a massive IOU that the Tories are pretending they didn't write.  Nobody should be defending the Tories on this.  It's grotesque that Lynch repeatedly gives the media a proper story to follow up, that of a business being underwritten by government and treating it's workers like shit.  And no news outlet runs with it.  Instead, they try and guilt honest workers into giving up what is rightfully theirs.  

Schrödinger's public sector. Too important to strike and yet not important enough to pay properly. You've enjoyed 12 years of goodwill from rail workers and public sector to not inconvenience you.  And you turn on them after the odd few days of inconvenience rather than support the idea of bosses treating employees with respect.  

It's a shame, but it's not a shock. 

Spot on

I always find it quite strange that those so opposed to go on strike,refuse to accept the meagre pay rise that's eventually offered.

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

That's not only destruction of workers rights, that's the destruction if the railways as we know them, and it won't be an improvement!

Yes. 

People saying "fuck the rail workers" are actually saying "fuck the rail system", while simultaneously moaning their train was cancelled.  

Fuck off you smackheads.  

Got to take your hat off to people like young Ciaran. Drives a train in the day, ambulance in the night and does a bit of nursing in-between. 

Luckily for the rest of us their are an awful lot more people like Ciaran and they're good enough to find the time to enlighten the rest of us how overpayed their jobs are.

And not just social media. 

Here's another one, kindly given a platform to spout guff by our state broadcaster.

19 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

With the tory line of 'sticking up for the public against the unions' who do they think make up the union and picket lines and why is it so difficult for labour to point out those striking ARE the overworked/underpaid members of the public?

why should my taxes go up up to pay for them?

presumably public sector workers dont pay tax?

Horrific story on the bbc today about the nhs.

apparently now 40% of hospital visits now involve a 4 hr wait for a bed

10 hours ago, Strontium said:

Right, well straight off the bat, you've gone from talking about all strikes to one specific strike. This is fallacy of composition.

Your mum's a fallacy of composition.

I notice that you chose to ignore the bit about many (most?) strikes being for stuff other than pay - stuff that benefits people other than the workers. I could have used the example of nurses, barristers, posties, etc. None of them are holding anyone to ransom, nor are they motivated by selfishness, contrary to the ill-informed horseshit you and the Daily Mail are shovelling.

9 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I think the unions are boxing clever here.

If its one isolated strike after another,people can say 'oh its them greedy nurses/public sector workers/train drivers

When half the country are on strike at once its a bit harder.

I think it's more the case that different unions have all, individually, reached this point for the same reason: the Tories have fucked the economy and want everyone else to pay.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think it's more the case that different unions have all, individually, reached this point for the same reason: the Tories have fucked the economy and want everyone else to pay.

tbf the bankers fucked the economy in 2008 and everyone else had to pay.

its what they do.

I just think a lot of people have, finally, had enough. Our Union have ballotted for strike action 3 times now,and this is the 1st time the threshold has been reached.  

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

tbf the bankers fucked the economy in 2008 and everyone else had to pay.

its what they do.

I just think a lot of people have, finally, had enough. Our Union have ballotted for strike action 3 times now,and this is the 1st time the threshold has been reached.  

And those in power realised then that they could use the taxpayer as a cash machine. 

• Upvote 3