You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina continues to ready the fans for summer move.

Horus

I agree, especially since they don't normally spend big on players with no re-sale value and to spend £20mil on Reina and a similar amount on wages over 5 years doesn't seem to fit into their policy.

He would be 33/34 in 5 years time and they would be probably only get a quarter of what they pay back for him.

If Arsenal win nothing, again, this year, Wenger is forced to act, and change the policy (or leave). They need at least a goalkeeper, a CB, and possibly an out and out striker. They have money, a new goalie is a top priority for them. Resale value means nothing if you win the league or the CL. Furthermore, Reina can still play for another 10 years, 33 is not old at all for a goalkeeper.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Arsenal win nothing, again, this year, Wenger is forced to act, and change the policy (or leave). They need at least a goalkeeper, a CB, and possibly an out and out striker. They have money, a new goalie is a top priority for them. Resale value means nothing if you win the league or the CL. Furthermore, Reina can still play for another 10 years, 33 is not old at all for a goalkeeper.

People have been saying they need a keeper, a CB and a Defensive Midfielder and will spend big for years and they haven't so far. I just can't see them spending £40mil on transfer fees and wages for him. It goes against everything they have done previously.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, I'm hoping they don't bid as I see them and the mancs as the only viable options for him and if no one bids the asking price then we don't have a decison to make.

Some miff on twitter reckons Arsenal have offered £10m and Almunia, apparently said miff works for the club as a physio or summat.

Btw it's @Ihatetomhicks.

He's full of shit that character, he links us to half a dozen players every day, Reina goes it'll be for £22m if that's what his clause is, the days of players bullying there way out and forcing us to accept lower bids like mascherano are long gone, just ask Torres he tried it

He's full of shit that character, he links us to half a dozen players every day, Reina goes it'll be for £22m if that's what his clause is, the days of players bullying there way out and forcing us to accept lower bids like mascherano are long gone, just ask Torres he tried it

This. If Arsenal or the Mancs want him, then they will have to pay the full price. I am looking forward to seeing how FSG operate in the transfer market this summer.

People have been saying they need a keeper, a CB and a Defensive Midfielder and will spend big for years and they haven't so far. I just can't see them spending £40mil on transfer fees and wages for him. It goes against everything they have done previously.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, I'm hoping they don't bid as I see them and the mancs as the only viable options for him and if no one bids the asking price then we don't have a decison to make.

I know, I've been saying it for years, as well. Wenger is as stubborn as they come with his "ideas", but how long can you keep banging your head against the wall? Besides, Arsenal are the only team in the real elite of European football without a top goalie. Inter, Mancs, RM, Barca, Chelsea, well, and us, that would be the 6 best goalkeepers around now. ManC have Hart who has a bright future, Tottenham is light there, though, as is Bayern, and that is why they will struggle. We struggle as we are light in other parts of te team...

If he can't see the club is on the up its his own loss.

This.

And if we take it as a given that KK will be given the job full time in the summer, does anyone really think he'd let Pepe go for £22m and not replace him with a capable keeper? Don't ask me who as that would be pure speculation but there are excellent keepers in Europe who'd do a great job for us. I'll be gutted if he goes, especially to the filth but life goes on and he will be replaced.

Do you not consider Liverpool as a viable option?

Arsenal will bid for him. Of that there is no question. However, that is not a reason to tell Reina to piss off or have a go at him. He is one of the best keepers in the world and we are somewhat struggling so of course clubs are going to try and snap him up. But lets not turn on our 'keeper just yet.

If he goes he's a cunt though.

I reckon he's staying.

Yes Rob, me too. This thread amazes me because on here it seems it has become fact that he is off. I understand, like people have said, that we have to be prepared for the possibility of him moving on but reading some of the posts in here you'd think he'd handed in a transfer request.

I just think we are a different club to the one we were in January when Pepe's comments were made which have largely set off this hysteria.

Torres had just gone and the club was still crippled by Hodgson fever.

3 months on we are the best performing team in the league. We've jumped from the relegation zone to within touching distance of the Champions League. We are playing football that is the polar opposite of the shite we played in the first half of the season when Pepe was not only goalkeeper but also relied on to provide our assists. We have a club legend as manager, someone the players and everyone else in the club look up to. In Suarez and Carroll we have a strikeforce that is the envy of anyone in the league meaning that his Spanish mate has all but been forgotten (0 goals in 7 games also helps). The crowd is back on side, the club is unified, a stadium decision seems imminent and everything points to us having a very active roll in this summer's transfer market.

We are a totally different proposition now, and I just don't see Pepe walking out. I don't doubt at times this season that he's probably been having doubts but I'm 90% sure he will recognise the improvement, recognise the questionable quality of the teams above us we'll hopefully be competing with next season, recognise that the grass isn't always greener and give us at the very least another season and see were we are then. After all the shit we've put up with over the last few years he'd be a fool to walk out now and I don't think he will. He's a goalkeeper and as VdS at the mancs has proven age isn't much of a barrier. He has 10 years of football left in him if he wants it.

I just think we are a different club to the one we were in January when Pepe's comments were made which have largely set off this hysteria.

Torres had just gone and the club was still crippled by Hodgson fever.

3 months on we are the best performing team in the league. We've jumped from the relegation zone to within touching distance of the Champions League. We are playing football that is the polar opposite of the shite we played in the first half of the season when Pepe was not only goalkeeper but also relied on to provide our assists. We have a club legend as manager, someone the players and everyone else in the club look up to. In Suarez and Carroll we have a strikeforce that is the envy of anyone in the league meaning that his Spanish mate has all but been forgotten (0 goals in 7 games also helps). The crowd is back on side, the club is unified, a stadium decision seems imminent and everything points to us having a very active roll in this summer's transfer market.

We are a totally different proposition now, and I just don't see Pepe walking out. I don't doubt at times this season that he's probably been having doubts but I'm 90% sure he will recognise the improvement, recognise the questionable quality of the teams above us we'll hopefully be competing with next season, recognise that the grass isn't always greener and give us at the very least another season and see were we are then. After all the shit we've put up with over the last few years he'd be a fool to walk out now and I don't think he will. He's a goalkeeper and as VdS at the mancs has proven age isn't much of a barrier. He has 10 years of football left in him if he wants it.

He made the comments mid February at the international break

There's nothing been changed since mid February, if he wants to go then he can go, I've had enough of this type of shit from players with long contracts and on massive wages

What type of shit? He said he was sad to see his mate go, he was sad that a lot of the Spanish lads are no longer here, that the club has become a different place over the past couple of years and...

"I am not announcing my departure – far from it. I've said lots of times I'm very happy in England and comfortable at Liverpool but I'm not prepared to swear eternal love to anyone. That's impossible. Any player who says that is lying. I can't say much because I have a contract with Liverpool. But eternal love doesn't exist. No one is master of his own destiny. When a player is at club he has to give everything – that is all you can ask of him."

Tell me what he has said wrong there? Every word he's said is spot on, the club has become a totally different place and that is because of the other two cancerous bastards but they are gone now, and I totally disagree with you if you think the club hasn't become a much happier positive and hopeful place since Jan/Feb.

What type of shit? He said he was sad to see his mate go, he was sad that a lot of the Spanish lads are no longer here, that the club has become a different place over the past couple of years and...

Tell me what he has said wrong there? Every word he's said is spot on, the club has become a totally different place and that is because of the other two cancerous bastards but they are gone now, and I totally disagree with you if you think the club hasn't become a much happier positive and hopeful place since Jan/Feb.

He hasn't said anything wrong. It's just whenever he was asked the same question in the past he's said, "I'm Staying!". He's not saying that now, he's gone into politician mode. So, some people are suspicious, some are over-reacting. Either way, it's clear his attitude is different now than it was a couple of years ago. We won't know for sure until when/if someone makes an offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok

A return to Spain makes no sense as none of the top clubs want him.

I can't really see him moving to the German or Italian Leagues.

United are set on De Gea according to all the papers... so...

that only really leaves Arsenal.

After the match today surely he will see that Arsenal, are less likely to win anything than we are.