You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Back on to Aquilani. If a part ex with Juve would come into consideration for both parties, who would people see as a good player to receive in exchange?

I've always liked Miloš Krasić who plays wide right for them, and was very good for CSKA Moscow prior to his move to The Old Lady.

Back on to Aquilani. If a part ex with Juve would come into consideration for both parties, who would people see as a good player to receive in exchange?

I've always liked Miloš Krasić who plays wide right for them, and was very good for CSKA Moscow prior to his move to The Old Lady.

krasic looks like an ace of a player. doubt juve would let him go.

He hasn't set the world alight at Juventus, but then neither did Diego last season, and he is a brilliant player.

Buffon, Chiellini, Melo, Sissoko, Grosso, Laquinta, Barzagli, Marchisio, Pepe, Krasic...all are brilliant players, but collectively it just isn't clicking. I'd still have any of them at Liverpool, as an individual player.

He hasn't set the world alight at Juventus, but then neither did Diego last season, and he is a brilliant player.

Buffon, Chiellini, Melo, Sissoko, Grosso, Laquinta, Barzagli, Marchisio, Pepe, Krasic...all are brilliant players, but collectively it just isn't clicking. I'd still have any of them at Liverpool, as an individual player.

Melo Sissoko brilliant? really?

Krasic and Chellini are the only 2 i'd take from them

Its the same old cliche we seem to say every summer but hopefully for the first time in years we could really have a big summer.

The squad is large but short of quality and other then our starting eleven when fit we are pretty low on players who i think could come in and do a good job.

Hopefully the width situation will finally be sorted but we also need to get rid of some deadwood.

Kuyt is nearing the end of his contract and i would cash in on Skrtel and move Kelly into the centre to take the Slovak's place.

We have some really talented youngsters coming through and hopefully players such as Sterling, Suso, Coady, Robinson and Flanaghan can get more involved with the first team next season.

For me we need a minimum of two fast winger's who have the skill to beat the full back and deliver a good cross (Young seem's to be the player in favour plus also someone like Turan) and a quality left back who has pace to overlap the winger (someone like Cissokho would be perfect).

That would be a possible outlay of around £40-50m but would instantly make us into challengers in my opinion.

Of course there are other positions that in an ideal world it would be great to sign such as a quality up and coming young striker like Wickham and also a player like Charlie Adam to help the creativity in midfield.

The owners have already demonstrated they are willing to give the manager 100% of the money from sale so hopefully we can get good money for players such as Aquilani, Skrtel, Kuyt, Rodriguez, Jovanovic, Poulsen, Jones and Konchesky who for me would all be available at the right price.

Kuyt is on the verge of signing a new contract. We may cash in on Skrtel or Agger. We need better central defenders than what we have at the moment.

Success next year is very important for the long term future of the club.

Kuyt signing a new contract is beneficial to the club.

We could still cash in during the summer but his value would be higher then if he does not sign a contract.

I like Agger and especially when we play 3 at the back he is comfortable at bringing the ball out of play.

We have plenty of central defenders at the club but for me next season i would have Carragher, Agger, Kelly, Wilson and Ayala battling it out.

That should be more then enough with then the money spent elsewhere.

The team sitting top of the league have Vidic, Ferdinand, Smalling, Evans and to a lesser extent O'Shea and Brown as their central defenders.

Personally i think our defence is just as good as anything the mancs can muster together if not better.

Kuyt signing a new contract is beneficial to the club.

We could still cash in during the summer but his value would be higher then if he does not sign a contract.

I like Agger and especially when we play 3 at the back he is comfortable at bringing the ball out of play.

We have plenty of central defenders at the club but for me next season i would have Carragher, Agger, Kelly, Wilson and Ayala battling it out.

That should be more then enough with then the money spent elsewhere.

The team sitting top of the league have Vidic, Ferdinand, Smalling, Evans and to a lesser extent O'Shea and Brown as their central defenders.

Personally i think our defence is just as good as anything the mancs can muster together if not better.

I don't think we have as good a defence as the Mancs. Vidic and Ferdinand are very good and better than our first choice. Carragher may have been as good as one of them a few years ago but at present we don't have anywhere near their quality. Let us not kid ourselves.

Next year we will have to negotiate sponsorship contracts with Adidas and possibly naming rights for the stadium; success is very important to have any kind of bargaining power in these negotiations. We just cannot take the risk.

We have a lot of dross to shift.

Jones

Konchesky

Aurelio (good player but too injury prone)

El Zhar

Degen

Insua

Jovanovic

Kyrgiakos

Aquilani

Maxi

Ngog

Poulsen

Bloody hell, i didn't even realize Degen was still on our books, i thought we sold him ages ago! Does his loan deal have a 'right to buy' clause? Hows he doing anyone know? Maybe that one and the Insua sale will sort itself.

I agree with all but a few of these mate. I would like to see N'gog given a bench spot (as back up) to the other lads, he does have talent we just don't see it enough. Id like to think if he bulked up and worked hard, he could be a decent squad player and for the sake of another season, may as well give it a go in my opinion.

The other one is Aquilani. Although, I have no idea how he would fit in? Again maybe as a squad player in case of injury to Stevie and or Raul. He has done well at Juve and i think he (like N'gog) deserves a season to try and prove himself.

Also just a quick point about the greek. He wouldn't make us that much if we sold him and he does a good job most of the time. Plus, his wages cant be that high can they? Don't see the point in shifting him on really. If his wages are high then i take it back but for me he has been a bargain signing, good player and what did we pay? few million?

Other than that, i couldn't agree more.

Bloody hell, i didn't even realize Degen was still on our books, i thought we sold him ages ago! Does his loan deal have a 'right to buy' clause? Hows he doing anyone know? Maybe that one and the Insua sale will sort itself.

I agree with all but two of these mate. I would like to see N'gog given a bench spot (as back up) to the other lads, he does have talent we just don't see it enough. Id like to think if he bulked up and worked hard, he could be a decent squad player and for the sake of another season, may as well give it a go in my opinion.

The other one is Aquilani. Although, I have no idea how he would fit in? Again maybe as a squad player in case of injury to Stevie and or Raul. He has done well at Juve and i think he (like N'gog) deserves a season to try and prove himself.

Eggnog is one of the worst strikers in the entire Premiership. He makes DJ Campbell look like fucking Pele.

Vidic is the mancs standout defender.

Ferdinand is a quality centre half but is injury prone and over the last 2 years has spent most of his time on the treatment table.

Not that i have to justify myself to anyone but im not having that Smalling, Evans, O'Shea and Brown are good defenders.

I think the centrebacks next season should be something like; Carra, Agger and a top signing brought in battling it out for the first choice with Kelly and Wilson also providing backup. Then have Johnson at rightback with Kelly as backup there and also have Wilson as the cover for a new leftback.

I think that gives the required quality but with scope for the youngsters to play alot of games as it's unlikely Carragher and Agger will play a full season.

I'm more interested in what they do with the midfield. We've got two strikers who you would assume will both start up top. then we've got Gerrard, Meireles and Lucas and were trying to bring in Adam. If we play two strikers I'm not sure how we would be able to play two of Adam, Meireles and Gerrard as you would think we need someone with a bit of bite alongside them. Would we sell Meireles after a very good season? Would we rotate Gerrard and Meireles? Why go after Adam?

Unless the plan is to play Suarez in a wide area I really can't see what the plan is with the midfield

Eggnog is one of the worst strikers in the entire Premiership. He makes DJ Campbell look like fucking Pele.

haha. If im honest im still a little concerned about moving players on, and ill explain why. N'gog may not be the best striker in the prem (hes not the worst though, that a bit harsh) but he can do a job. Too many times have we let players go and not replaced them.

IF we buy someone better to replace him then it should be done. Do you see where im coming from?

I mean, look at the gap between our starting 11 players! The ability gap is massive. Now there will always be a slight gap but this is daft. If we sell players we should replace them like for like with someone better. A straight forward upgrade.

Too often that hasn't happened in my opinion.

Jones

Konchesky

El Zhar

Degen

Insua

Jovanovic

Kyrgiakos

Aquilani

Maxi

Ngog

Poulsen

I'd add Agger to that list. He's just as injury prone as Aurelio, if not worse. Put the Agger cash into a new, top class cb.

Its the same old cliche we seem to say every summer but hopefully for the first time in years we could really have a big summer.

The squad is large but short of quality and other then our starting eleven when fit we are pretty low on players who i think could come in and do a good job.

Hopefully the width situation will finally be sorted but we also need to get rid of some deadwood.

Kuyt is nearing the end of his contract and i would cash in on Skrtel and move Kelly into the centre to take the Slovak's place.

We have some really talented youngsters coming through and hopefully players such as Sterling, Suso, Coady, Robinson and Flanaghan can get more involved with the first team next season.

For me we need a minimum of two fast winger's who have the skill to beat the full back and deliver a good cross (Young seem's to be the player in favour plus also someone like Turan) and a quality left back who has pace to overlap the winger (someone like Cissokho would be perfect).

That would be a possible outlay of around £40-50m but would instantly make us into challengers in my opinion.

Of course there are other positions that in an ideal world it would be great to sign such as a quality up and coming young striker like Wickham and also a player like Charlie Adam to help the creativity in midfield.

The owners have already demonstrated they are willing to give the manager 100% of the money from sale so hopefully we can get good money for players such as Aquilani, Skrtel, Kuyt, Rodriguez, Jovanovic, Poulsen, Jones and Konchesky who for me would all be available at the right price.

Coop - Interesting piece as ever!

When you look at the ideal squad setup I believe about 18 established players is about right with the rest being made up from a pool of unproven but talented youngsters. The clear objective being a group of motivated hungery established players enough to compete across all fronts but also enough flexibility and opportunity for the youngsters from the academy to be given a real chance to make it at Liverpool.

This compares in line with the 18 established players starting the season with Chelsea (excluding Torres & Luiz) and under the 22 established players starting the season for Arsenal & 22+ for Man Utd.

However there are lessons we should learn from Chelsea, who have struggled to compete from a squad perspective this year, is that 18 players may be insufficient for the following reasons:

1, Established player squad average age is closer to 30 than 25.

2, The spine of your team is highly available.

3, You do not carry more than 1 or 2 injury-prone players in the squad.

4, The squad should be balanced.

5, Champions League qualification

Applying this to the current Liverpool squad I would claim that the following players should be named as established for next season:

Reina, Johnson, Kelly, Agger (inj), Carragher, Aurelio (inj), Kuyt, Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles, Carroll, Suarez

I have marked Agger & Aurelo as the 2 injury prone players in the squad and included Kuyt as he is negotiating on a new deal.

This would allow for 6 recruitments in the summer - Left Back, Centre Back, Centre Midfield, Wide Players (left & right) and a Striker.

The rest of the squad could be complemented by the likes of Gulasci, Flanagan, Robinson, Wisom, Ayala, Wilson, Coady, Shelvey, Spearing, Silva, Sterling, Pacheco, Suso, Ngoo etc

The model should be simple if one of the youngsters displaces a senior player then we should be able to re-balance the squad by selling an established squad player.

Agree with this Coops, although very rarely does a big summer clear out happen. Plus some of the dead wood will be hard to move on, we may have to loan some of the players you mentioned out on loan.

Jones

Konchesky

El Zhar

Degen

Insua

Jovanovic

Kyrgiakos

Aquilani

Maxi

Ngog

Poulsen

I'd agree with all those and maybe even add in Skrtel and Cole, depending on who we get in.

Realitically though, I think we'll struggle to ship out more than 4/5 players over the summer due to wage demands and them not being very good footballers.

Agree with this Coops, although very rarely does a big summer clear out happen. Plus some of the dead wood will be hard to move on, we may have to loan some of the players you mentioned out on loan.

I agree mate. I feel a clear out of this size would take a couple of seasons. I cant see all this being done in the summer.

The other thing is, if we buy young talented players, some of these players will want to move on, as it stands they still stand a chance or get into the current squad. If that changes so will their attitude towards going. In my opinion.