You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Well I'm pretty sure you wouldn't, but I think some were. However I don't think it's a shit thread at all. What is actually wrong with it?

It doesn't contains the word "cunt" or "fuck off Hodgson" in the thread that is what is wrong with it and I am a hypocrite.

This is just the thread needed to deflect the 'fu*k Hodgons crap' that's been done to death. And the weeping still hasn't stopped over the last guy - who is still blaming all but himself.

I notice you looked at the headline and didn't read the quotes at all. He doesn't blame anyone for him leaving just said that's how Purslow chose to do it.

Just to reiterate, I am not asking people to approve of the appointment of Roy Hodgson, but it pisses me off when every second thread is "Fuck off Roy Hodgson" and he is a "cunt" and yet we have 2 leeches on the other side of the Atlantic bleeding our club dry and we are all busy slagging off a manager who hasn't been appointed yet.

Again. I wasn't making any suggestion that you don't "vent your spleen" at the owners.

But I don't think its for you to attempt to tell people whether or not they should discuss Hodgson or infer that in doing so they are taking their eyes off the ownership ball.

You were still able to discuss the merits of Rafa's subs/tactics/transfers a few months back. There's no reason why others shouldn't do the same with Hodgson just because we still have shit owners.

The difference is Hodgson hasn't done any subs/tactics/transfers to quote you as Liverpool manager yet. Until then, people slagging Hodgson off whilst not giving him a chance as Liverpool manager is a futile exercise.

I wanted the owners out when Rafael Benitez was our manager and I will want them out whe Roy Hodgson is our manager. Nothing has changed there apart from the manager.

We have all sent (or at least I hope we have) sent emails to RBS etc, been to the protests etc even when Rafa was in charge.

I think people have every right to vent their feeling regards the potential appointment of Hodgson as i don't see him as Liverpool management material.

It goes without saying that i hope he proves me wrong and he proves to be a success.

He will without doubt once appointed get my 100% support and i will wish him all the luck in the job.

What is out of order is any personal abuse aimed at Hodgson and the same can be said of the abuse aimed at Rafa last season.

We were never going to appoint a top drawer manager in our current state but i personally would have rather us therefore taken a gamble on an up and coming manager whose ethos is pass and move rather then a manager who is close to retirement age and has yet to win one major trophy.

It was a handful of posters coop don't make it into more than it was calling Rafa a fat spanish greedy cunt etc.

Most of which were just idiots coming on here using ''txt spk'' like 10 year olds. It wasn't as widespread as you are implying it was.

It doesn't contains the word "cunt" or "fuck off Hodgson" in the thread that is what is wrong with it and I am a hypocrite.

I don't see what's hypocritical about it, you state at the outset that Hodgson is a short term manager and I think that's fair given his age if nothing else. It's a different kettle of fish to ask for people not to focus on someone who has a limited shelf life and has done nothing wrong yet to someone failing badly in his sixth season in my opinion.

I can't help feeling some of the criticism you've received today is fed by people perceiving you as having been on a particular "side", which would be sad given the efforts you have made on their behalf. I don't recall you ever throwing personal insults or spreading rumours about Rafa either.

I don't altogether agree with you by the way. I think the appointment of Hodgson, as divisive as it is, can be a stick to beat the owners and Purslow with. It's a fine line between attacking the man personally and questioning the motivation behind appointing him, but as aws said the other day there is some mileage there.

I notice you looked at the headline and didn't read the quotes at all. He doesn't blame anyone for him leaving just said that's how Purslow chose to do it.

Well spotted!

Btw, did you notice that I didn't read the bit about the injuries and and performances?

Edited by aiyic
After thought

Well spotted!

Btw, did you notice that I didn't read the bit about the injuries and and performances?

We did suffer injuries, can't see how that is an excuse myself, it's just a fact.

Again, about the performances, it's a fact we didn't perform well and we lost confidence as a result.

Not an excuse he was just giving an insight to the problems at the club, not sure what your point about blaming other things is here. He got asked a question about why the performances were so poor and he gave an insight into why he thought they were.

I think the point most are missing is that the appointment of Roy would just be another bad decision by C&A on top of a whole load of other bad decisions. It ALL comes down to bad ownership / management of the club by the two leeching fuckers.

The question of whether or not Roy is up to the job is a bit of a distraction taking the focus away from the bigger picture of how much the yanks are destroying our club.

The way I see it Roy would be just another nail hammered into this clubs coffin by the two twats, not Roy's fault he's not good enough its the fault of the idiots who want to appoint him and thats where our anger should be aimed, anything else is just a distraction.

If Roy Hodgson is confirmed as the next manager of LFC it will not be a long-term appointment.

You may not agree with the appointment of Hodgson, but people need to realise that we will not be able to attract a category A manager or world class players in our current predicament. We may be a global institution with a great history and tradition, but sadly we are not an attractive proposition to outsiders at present.

Liverpool FC will not be able to move forward until Hicks and Gillett are away from the club & whilst we spend all summer debating about the merits of Roy Hodgson as manager, and whether Rafa Benitez should still be manager of LFC, the owners and the banks are getting off scot-free.

It is time that we all put our differences aside and focus on the main issue which is to get our football club back. Lets up the ante and put pressure on the banks to force Hicks and Gillett to sell the club now.

Agree with your sentiments but he is he boards appointment as a means to an end to achieve their evil goals.

There are obviously better candidates to do the job and you have to ask yourself why havent they been given the job.

Therefore I will hate hodgson with the same venom I do the owners and want them all out togther.

I will support the team and not the manager.

There is a major difference here in that the next manager will be thw Owners own appointment wheras Rafa was already at the club.

I think the point most are missing is that the appointment of Roy would just be another bad decision by C&A on top of a whole load of other bad decisions. It ALL comes down to bad ownership / management of the club by the two leeching fuckers.

The question of whether or not Roy is up to the job is a bit of a distraction taking the focus away from the bigger picture of how much the yanks are destroying our club.

The way I see it Roy would be just another nail hammered into this clubs coffin by the two twats, not Roy's fault he's not good enough its the fault of the idiots who want to appoint him and thats where our anger should be aimed, anything else is just a distraction.

Every word is true.

Nothing can be done about the yanks

Absolute shit.

The majority cannot be arsed, that's the problem and they are every bit to blame.

Guest The Chimp
This is liverpool and if Roy is appointed as manager we as fans should always back our managers 100% if you don't you ain't no true liverpool fan.

That's a very blinkered view in my opinion. It's been mentioned on here before, but where do you draw the line? Bryan Robson, Ron Atkinson, Mick McCarthy, Tony Adams? Would it be right to back them if they were appointed? And for anyone saying it'd never happen, think back a couple of years back and who would have thought that Liverpool's number one target (allegedly) is Hodgson?

If people have doubts over the manager, then as far as I'm concerned they're perfectly entitled to voice those concerns. The only caveat to that for me, is that any criticism (or indeed praise) should be balanced and based on solid foundations rather than agendas or hear-say.

For the record, I personally think there is some merit to being critical of Hodgson's appointment as Liverpool manager - if, of course, it happens.

The question in the poll actually begs another question before answering - which Liverpool? The one that exists in reality or the one that exists in all our heads? If it's the latter, then I'm undecided, but certainly doubtful. However, it's not the latter, is it?

In my view, Pete Beale ("Awight, tweacle?")..., er sorry, I mean, Roy Hodgson has the skills and experience to get us on a more even keel again on the pitch. Whether he can persuade star players to stay is highly questionable. However, those same star players are unlikely to stay at this shambles of a club whoever comes in and blaming their departures on a man who had absolutely nothing to do with the circumstances that made them want to leave would be ridiculous. Only an absolutely stellar managerial name would convince them of the potential of the immediate future and we all know that no-one like that (no disrespect to Kenny, who remains my only footballing hero) would touch us with a bargepole right now.

For me, Hodgson has all the credentials to deal with the reality of LFC today: he knows this league, gets the best out of players, can spot a bargain and can take a club forward with a minimal budget. That is what we need right now, regardless of what we all wish was the case. If the club ever gets sold, new owners can make an assessment of whether or not Roy is the man to spend their money. However, I don't rule that out. Leadership is primarily about skills, rather than experience (although the latter can clearly hone the former); just because he hasn't achieved great success at this level before doesn't mean he can't do so in the future.

In short, I'm optimistically open minded about Roy Hodgson and wish him well, albeit with the caveat that I don't think there's a manager alive that could turn our current sow's ear of a club into a silk purse in the context of the scandalous nature of its ownership.

Well I'm pretty sure you wouldn't, but I think some were. However I don't think it's a shit thread at all. What is actually wrong with it?

Calling it a shit thread was unfair. Needless might have been better. Misguided maybe.

Yeah, I am only interested in those sort of threads. I appear to have offended you - wasn't my intention.

And to make it clear (for the nth time), I don't think its hypocritical of you to urge focus on the owners and not manager because you're not doing anything to remove the owners. I assume that's what you think given the thread you linked.

Its because we didn't see the same sort of threads in the last few months when there were far more severe criticisms of the previous manager.

The inference that discussing the merits (or not) of Hodgson is at the expense of concentrating on the ownership situation is what got my back up.

The difference is Hodgson hasn't done any subs/tactics/transfers to quote you as Liverpool manager yet. Until then, people slagging Hodgson off whilst not giving him a chance as Liverpool manager is a futile exercise.

Apart from the odd headcase (and everyone knows who they are anyway), no one is "slagging Hodgson off". People have reservations about his suitability as manager. I don't see what the problem is with discussing that. Just as you didn't see the problem with discussing your issues with the previous manager.

Calling it a shit thread was unfair. Needless might have been better. Misguided maybe.

Yeah, I am only interested in those sort of threads. I appear to have offended you - wasn't my intention.

And to make it clear (for the nth time), I don't think its hypocritical of you to urge focus on the owners and not manager because you're not doing anything to remove the owners. I assume that's what you think given the thread you linked.

Its because we didn't see the same sort of threads in the last few months when there were far more severe criticisms of the previous manager.

The inference that discussing the merits (or not) of Hodgson is at the expense of concentrating on the ownership situation is what got my back up.

Apart from the odd headcase (and everyone knows who they are anyway), no one is "slagging Hodgson off". People have reservations about his suitability as manager. I don't see what the problem is with discussing that. Just as you didn't see the problem with discussing your issues with the previous manager.

How is a thread that focuses on the damage that Gillett and Hicks have caused "needless" and "misguided"? I don't see you passing similar comment on the numerous Roy Hodgson threads where he has been labelled a cunt and told to fuck off.

By all means discuss the the managerial capablities of Hodgson, but it should be done in a constructive and respectful manner and on the whole it hasn't, which is what prompted me to create the thread.

How is a thread that focuses on the damage that Gillett and Hicks have caused "needless" and "misguided"? I don't see you passing similar comment on the numerous Roy Hodgson threads where he has been labelled a cunt and told to fuck off.

A thread that does that isn't. The needless and misguided part is the suggestion that criticisms of Hodgson are at the expense of such things

If I haven't commented on any of the stupid "Hodgson is a cunt" stuff is just because its stupid stuff posted by idiots that isn't worth comment. I tend to use my neg button for that sort of thing these days. To be clear that sort of post/thread is crap and serves no useful purpose.

By all means discuss the the managerial capablities of Hodgson, but it should be done in a constructive and respectful manner and on the whole it hasn't, which is what prompted me to create the thread.

Replace the word "Hodgson" with "Benitez" and "create the thread" with "reply to the thread" and you have my response.

I've seen you comment that you think the personal/nasty jibes about Benitez were rare/not the norm. I don't really agree with that but I do think that most of the comment about Hodgson (setting aside the light hearted owl/speech impediment stuff) has been pretty reasonable.

I think that's probably where our difference in opinion lies. Its nothing to do with opinions of the owners or what anyone has or hasn't done to aid their removal.

Hopefully that's clear.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Steve and I have had a bit of cyber sex via PM and made up.

An FF happy ending.

Did you blow him, fuck face?