You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

The question in the poll actually begs another question before answering - which Liverpool? The one that exists in reality or the one that exists in all our heads?

That's not the correct dichotomy IMO. There is the Liverpool we are and the Liverpool we will become if the self-fulfilling prophecy is allowed to get traction.

Top 4 teams appoint top 4 calibre managers. To do otherwise is to define yourself as something other than a top 4 team and players will not put up with what is very obviously a 'managed decline'. It won't happen immediately, but it will become the new zeitgeist and it'll be harder to turn it around than it would be to prevent the decline in the first place.

That's not the correct dichotomy IMO. There is the Liverpool we are and the Liverpool we will become if the self-fulfilling prophecy is allowed to get traction.

Top 4 teams appoint top 4 calibre managers. To do otherwise is to define yourself as something other than a top 4 team and players will not put up with what is very obviously a 'managed decline'. It won't happen immediately, but it will become the new zeitgeist and it'll be harder to turn it around than it would be to prevent the decline in the first place.

I agree entirely (albeit with the caveat that such a decline would have to be very long and very slow to erode our great name). However, the reality of the situation is that we have a dysfunctional board and, like it or not, this is what they're going for. I'm all for aiming high, but trying to deny reality is an exercise in madness: we are a mess that no current top class manager will touch (unless the board and media have conspired to keep quiet the desperation of Mourinho et al to join us this summer). Roy Hodgson would never be my first choice were we not in such dire straights. However, of the candidates under consideration, he fits the bill if they won't give it to Kenny.

It was a handful of posters coop don't make it into more than it was calling Rafa a fat spanish greedy cunt etc.

Most of which were just idiots coming on here using ''txt spk'' like 10 year olds. It wasn't as widespread as you are implying it was.

Not once did either Tom Ross or atk use text speak, or other luminaries who do their thinking after they speak.

Let's not pass it off as nothing John, it was a good few long standing members who are most definitely adults who were at the forefront of the agenda driven, muck raking personal abuse....you know the stuff : throwing matches, only signed his contract for money, only motivated by self interest, is due 16m within 24 hours of leaving, all FACT apparently etc etc etc....and lots of other foot stamping.

Are SSN reporting we have approached Marseille for Deschamps? Presumable smokescreen

We have a problem here.

Only a manager like Woy will take the job (he has a speech impediment which he could easily stop therefore I will take the piss)

No one with and credibility will take it with the vermin we have running the club at the moment.

Glad that someone changed the title of this thread.

Practically every media outlet seems to be reporting that Woy will be appointed Liverpool Manager in the next couple of days. Tuesday, after all is just around the corner.

Have to say, it's a disappointing appointment for me.

Also enjoying some of the revisionism on this thread. My Irony Detector has given up the fight for good.

Kind of proves my point that though mate you have named 2 people on a board with a few hundred posters who frequent this forum.

There were plenty who wanted him gone but a handful at best who got personal with their abuse.

I've named two, who also happen to be well known, long standing members of the board who are well over the age of 10 mate. Just to blow your exercise in Quarantining out of the water!

It most certainly wasn't isolated to a few random cases of unknown faces like you suggested and there is nothing wrong with suggesting that Roy Hodgson might not be the cure-all vaccine.

I've named two, who also happen to be well known, long standing members of the board who are well over the age of 10 mate. Just to blow your exercise in Quarantining out of the water!

It most certainly wasn't isolated to a few random cases of unknown faces like you suggested and there is nothing wrong with suggesting that Roy Hodgson might not be the cure-all vaccine.

No, you are right. Nothing wrong at all with that. I just don't think the "personal abuse" to the ex-manager was as widespread by regular posters was as bad as some are making it out to be. I have seen a few people to ask for names of these people. I asked Skidfingers myself the other day but he wouldn't name them. It really was a minority mate overall.

No, you are right. Nothing wrong at all with that. I just don't think the "personal abuse" to the ex-manager was as widespread by regular posters was as bad as some are making it out to be. I have seen a few people to ask for names of these people. I asked Skidfingers myself the other day but he wouldn't name them. It really was a minority mate overall.

In the general scheme of things, the foot stamping, nappy shitting, bile spitting nonsense was the preserve of the small minority mate. As I said in another post, the centre ground, whether centre left or right was just a slight variation on a theme, it was the extremities that caused the most toothache.

At the end of the day, I think we all know who the big mouthed nob jockeys were and I think they know that the rest of us know who they are/were, which is why they get told to fuck off and called blerts now when they start preaching peace and harmony. It's like Hirohito becoming a Hippy.

It aint what you say it's the way that you say it, and some people need to look at their conduct over the last year or so and give their heads a shake.

I agree entirely (albeit with the caveat that such a decline would have to be very long and very slow to erode our great name). However, the reality of the situation is that we have a dysfunctional board and, like it or not, this is what they're going for. I'm all for aiming high, but trying to deny reality is an exercise in madness: we are a mess that no current top class manager will touch (unless the board and media have conspired to keep quiet the desperation of Mourinho et al to join us this summer). Roy Hodgson would never be my first choice were we not in such dire straights. However, of the candidates under consideration, he fits the bill if they won't give it to Kenny.

As we know though, all too well, belief doesn't erode slowly over time. It evaporates. Puff! and it's gone. And at exactly the time when because of the new UEFA rules that we can't afford to take a breather outside the top 4.

If we allow this lot to prioritize the management of their capital structure ahead of getting the most competitive manager we can, then we can look forward to an extended stay in the wilderness, an entirely avoidable scenario IMO.

As we know though, all too well, belief doesn't erode slowly over time. It evaporates. Puff! and it's gone. And at exactly the time when because of the new UEFA rules that we can't afford to take a breather outside the top 4.

If we allow this lot to prioritize the management of their capital structure ahead of getting the most competitive manager we can, then we can look forward to an extended stay in the wilderness, an entirely avoidable scenario IMO.

To be honest, with Tom and George here to stay, an extended stay in the wilderness is inevitable.

Loving the distancing that's going on this summer from our friends in the big T

Wasn't me guv I wasn't even here, it was the kids, honest.....well the kids and a couple of others but definetly not me, I never once called 'im a cunt or greedy or that he took backhanders. Van, what van?

UNITY!!!!!!!!!!

Loving the distancing that's going on this summer from our friends in the big T

Wasn't me guv I wasn't even here, it was the kids, honest.....well the kids and a couple of others but definetly not me, I never once called 'im a cunt or greedy or that he took backhanders. Van, what van?

UNITY!!!!!!!!!!

No different to the distancing by the members of the Rafalutionary Guard. "I always opposed the owners, me. It wasn't me who stopped protesting at games because Rafa asked us to".

What have you done to get the owners out then, cardie? as much as Stevie H, atk or Dougie? Hmmm.

there's a lot of revisionism on BOTH sides here. And indeed a lot of anger and bitterness on BOTH sides.

No different to the distancing by the members of the Rafalutionary Guard. "I always opposed the owners, me. It wasn't me who stopped protesting at games because Rafa asked us to".

What have you done to get the owners out then, cardie? as much as Stevie H, atk or Dougie? Hmmm.

there's a lot of revisionism on BOTH sides here. And indeed a lot of anger and bitterness on BOTH sides.

How much you've done against the owners doesn't give you free reign to get away with the bullshit that people have gotten away with no matter how much you want that to be the case.

And I'm yet to see anyone distancing themselves from the example you've given ( and if they have then I don't know why as SoS themselves agreed to it).

Still, it's all about the reboot now isn't it....

Just for the record, the personal digs and sniping at Rafa did not just constitute things like, "fat spanish waiter" and "cunt" etc, there was a lot more of it than that, some implied, some blatant, such as:

Yes because Rafa has a great history of telling the truth like doesn't he?

I don't trust Benitez in the same way I don't trust the Americans. All peas in the same pod to me.

He fucked Valencia over and will fuck us over if he has to. He is going to try to get what he can

Genuinely can't wait till he's sacked, gonna have a party

(Reply - Me neither. A few of us are going out on the ale the day it happens)

Horrible, greedy, disrespectful cunt. I's 100% finished with Benitez after a little gem I heard about him recently.

(Reply - Whoah **** be careful you will be accused of having an agenda via PM next)

No agenda here. I hate the man

Do posts like this constitute personal abuse? If not "abuse" then they are certainly attacks of a personal nature.

If stuff like this was said about Hodgson this forum would presumably go into meltdown.

edit - by the way, if you want names Juan, most of the above was posted by yourself (not the "cunt" one though, apart from the reply)

How much you've done against the owners doesn't give you free reign to get away with the bullshit that people have gotten away with no matter how much you want that to be the case.

And I'm yet to see anyone distancing themselves from the example you've given ( and if they have then I don't know why as SoS themselves agreed to it).

Still, it's all about the reboot now isn't it....

Do you KNOW that it is all bullshit though? No, of course you don't.

Just for the record, the personal digs and sniping at Rafa did not just constitute things like, "fat spanish waiter" and "cunt" etc, there was a lot more of it than that, some implied, some blatant, such as:

Do posts like this constitute personal abuse? If not "abuse" then they are certainly attacks of a personal nature.

If stuff like this was said about Hodgson this forum would presumably go into meltdown.

edit - by the way, if you want names Juan, most of the above was posted by yourself (not the "cunt" one though, apart from the reply)

And I stand by it all. It isn't personal abuse like name calling so apart from that, you are correct. I had nothing do do with the cunt post/s. I am entitled to have that opinion of him without name calling whether you like it or not sorry. I didn't overstep the mark with name calling or do you wish to sanitize the whole forum until it is clean of posts which are ANYTHING derogatory about Benitez? It isn't up to you to do that sadly.

He has gone anyway, get over it.

Edited by Juan Galonso

If he's had stayed then 'people' would have become more and more desperate, sided with Purslow and the like more and more, become even more vicious and spiteful and ultimately descended into the realms of Evertonians in their dislike for the man.

Implied rumours would have become outright lies with people not caring what they said as long as their aim was achieived.