You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

iPhone

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mygirlfriend has just gotten the same phone as me and is trying to download itunes to her laptop and it is coming up with a message through the download saying something about needing a digital signature.

Can anybody elaborate on what a solution may be for this thanks.

Any news on what the 4G will be like? I've held off on having a decent phone until now, but having got iPad'd up and being iPod-free, I think the time might just be right to join the band wagon. Will the new one be a significant advance on what's gone before?

Any news on what the 4G will be like? I've held off on having a decent phone until now, but having got iPad'd up and being iPod-free, I think the time might just be right to join the band wagon. Will the new one be a significant advance on what's gone before?

This Is Apple's Next iPhone

iphone4_01.jpgiphone1a.jpgiphone15.jpg

What's new

• Front-facing video chat camera

• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)

• Camera flash

• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)Paul, you can switch your som between devices now

• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x640 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.

• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack

• Split buttons for volume

• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

Multitasking: It's here, finally. It's handled with a simple task switcher: double click your home button, and you get a list of running apps. Select, switch, done. Multitasking is limited to audio streaming, VoIP and GPS apps, as well as a few other allowances: they can finish specific, important tasks in the background, for example. As far as non-music/nav/VoIP apps, those can be suspended in the background, but not left running. (See below.) Full details here.

Fast app switching: With iPhone 4's multitasking, most apps aren't actually running in the background—just certain functions of the app, like an audio stream or a GPS lock. But! All apps can now be frozen, in full, so that when you reopen them, they're restored to exactly the state they were in when they were closed.

Local notifications: Notifications can be sent between apps on the phone, not just from remote servers. In other words, if something important happens in an app you've opened and moved away from, a notification will pop up in whatever app you're using at the time, effectively saying "switch back to me!" It's a fairly clever way to keep track of multiple apps without the need for a start bar or dock-type interface. From Apple's dev guidelines:

A new Mail app: Unified inboxes, multiple Exchange accounts, fast inbox switching, threaded messages: These new features are actually a huge deal, since the iPhone's mail client has barely changed since 2007, and Apple doesn't allow alternative mail apps. Apple's pitch:

iBooks: Oh hey, that iBooks ebook reader app and accompanying ebook store we first met on the iPad has ambled on down to the iPhone. Nice, since you can now take your books with you wherever you go, as oppose to wherever you go with your iPad.

Custom backgrounds: Jailbreakers have them. Hell, the iPad has them. Now you can choose a persistent background for your iPhone—and not just for the lockscreen.

Game Center: Apple's going to roll out a centralized gaming service—a multiplayer network like PSN or Xbox Live—to help connect games to one another, by the end on the year. There are 3rd-party services that already do this, like OpenFeint. They will probably die. Full details here.

iAd advertising: It looks like Apple's finally making use of Quattro, that mobile ad company it gobbled up a few months ago, by rolling out its own advertising platform, a turnkey ad plugin for app developers called iAd. The theory here is that instead of relying on links to external websites, which pull users out of apps whenever they tap on an ad, developers can use Apple's new tools to keep people in the app while still showing them advertising—sort of like popover browser windows. You can watch videos, play games, and even buy apps from within these ads. This is in the iPhone OS 4 developer tools, but it's not explicitly a part of OS 4, so you won't see apps with iAds until later this year. Full details here.

5x digital zoom: Could this hint at a higher quality camera in the next hardware? 3.2 megapixels seems a bit low for 5x digital zoom.

Bluetooth keyboards: Another carryover from the iPad, Bluetooth keyboard support will finally come to iPhone 4.

Can somebody tell me how to delete pics I have added onto my iPhone which I transferred from my laptop please, much appreciated thanks.

Go into itunes, when the phone connects, click on the iphone, select the photos tab in the main part of the screen, then deselect the albums you want to take off. Then resync.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Gonna get it, fuck it.

It looks pretty great. I mean, it's a really good phone anyway, but this is a proper update, unlike some of their other updates which are a bit pointless.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

"11:43 am iPhone 4 in 88 countries by end of September.

11:43 am Canada not in initial batch of countries that will get iPhone 4 on launch.

11:42 am iPhone lineup slides over, iPhone 3GS will be $99.

11:42 am On sale June 24th."