You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

No quotes in that article!

So it must be true, and once the usual clique have had their say, it will repeated as gospel by the sycophants, Purslow was a lying cunt two months ago but now that he has Rafa in his sights he is the embodiment of truth.

I think I would settle for a few years of mediocrity if it got rid of some of the pricks following the club at present.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which day of the week does Broughton work?

Not sure, but if the rumour about Juve wanting an answer by the end of the week is true, we might finally know what the fuck is going on by the time we play our last game.

Anyway, this will surely be driving Rafa and the owners a bit mental by now so both sides will probably want it wrapped up asap.

So it must be true, and once the usual clique have had their say, it will repeated as gospel by the sycophants, Purslow was a lying cunt two months ago but now that he has Rafa in his sights he is the embodiment of truth.

I think I would settle for a few years of mediocrity if it got rid of some of the pricks following the club at present.

Perhaps someone confirmed it to David Bond 'off the record'.

Rafa is good at playing that game as well.

Come on mate, stop being a tart, you're better than that. It may be true, it may not be true, but it's worth debating.

I disagree. He WAS off, but it seems that Juventus are threatening to pull the plug. According to the Gazetta over the last few days, there has been a disagreement over the size of the signing-on fee and over the number of staff he wants to bring (Macia has been a real sticking-point in negotiations because Juve don't want him!). I would have said that it's more likely he's going to stay now, thus his sudden panic to build bridges.

I think Andrea Agnelli would much rather have an Italian manager, with Italian staff, in place for next season, with the hope that Capello will leave England and become available either this autumn or next. He knows he's probably going to be stuck with Benitez now because plans are too advanced, but it'll be almost as unhappy an alliance as Benitez endured here. I'm only speculating from what I've read and been told about Agnelli; I doubt he'll be too bothered either way, which, if true, must be making Benitez a little bit panicky.

Some of us have been saying for months he's been playing games and here we have the proof but some of you still want to deny it.

He's playing us all like he played all the Valencia supporters before he bailed on them.

I agree. The only difference here is that he has been found out before he has had the chance to take us to the cleaners.

Come on mate, stop being a tart, you're better than that. It may be true, it may not be true, but it's worth debating.

It is worth debating, it's not worth taking it as fact though! That is my problem, and you have to admit that people taking this stuff as fact without asking where it came from are being naive at best!

As I say, we know how duplicitous Purslow is as his 'off the record' comments with SOS highlighted.

It reminds me off all those United fans who set about the two Irish owners, because Fergie had fallen out with him and then expected them to lead the resistance to Glazers!

Rafa criticised the lack of a meeting with Broughton last Wednesday, yet it has taken almost a week for this to be leaked! Coincidently on the back of a few articles over the weekend, laying a fair percentage of the blame squarely at the boards feet and today (TB's for instance) pointing out that Rafa only wants assurances to be able to invest what he raises.

Rafael Benitez twice cancels Liverpool showdown talks

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has cancelled two scheduled face-to-face meetings with the club's new chairman, Martin Broughton.

Benitez claimed on Monday that he was anxious to "meet with the chairman sooner rather than later".

But it is understood that he pulled out of talks with Broughton last week and another the week before.

A further meeting is scheduled for this week amid speculation about Benitez's future with the club.

Liverpool went out of the Europa League last week and have failed to qualify for next season's Champions League.

It is not clear why Benitez cancelled the meetings with Broughton, although the last two weeks have been affected by preparations for Liverpool's Europa League semi-final meetings with Atletico Madrid.

The first week in particular was heavily disrupted as Benitez's team were forced to make the long journey to the Spanish capital by road and rail after flights were grounded by ash from the Icelandic volcano.

But, even allowing for that, there is some surprise inside the Anfield boardroom at the timing of Benitez's call on Tuesday for an urgent meeting with Broughton to discuss the future.

That plus the Spanish manager's request for assurances over his summer transfer kitty would seem to suggest that Benitez is stalling for time, with a possible £3.5m-a-year offer to quit Liverpool for Juventus thought to be on the table.

Benitez, who could receive somewhere between £10m and £15m in compensation were he to be sacked by Liverpool, was unavailable for comment but was quoted on Tuesday as saying: "I would like to meet with the chairman sooner rather than later to know his idea about the future.

"Still, we are working hard and planning for the future. Liverpool is a massive name in England and again in Europe. Everybody knows about the history of the club and the fans, so we can still attract players to improve the squad."

Liverpool have refused to comment on the cancelled meetings.

With the five-time European champions failing to qualify for the Champions League, attracting new players and keeping stars such as Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard will be much harder for Benitez.

The sale of the club, which is being conducted by British Airways chairman Broughton and investment bank Barclays Capital, could take months, meaning even more uncertainty over how much money will be available to strengthen Liverpool's squad during the close season.

pulled of the BBC BBC Sport - Football - Rafael Benitez twice cancels Liverpool showdown talks

From a poster called Keens on RAWK:

"Visit a website called "THE LIVERPOOL WAY" you'll be very suprised at what you find.....seems people have forgot the meaning to Y.N.W.A.......when the storm clouds come, crucify the wrong man and let him walk alone!"

I feel admonished

It is worth debating, it's not worth taking it as fact though! That is my problem, and you have to admit that people taking this stuff as fact without asking where it came from are being naive at best!

As I say, we know how duplicitous Purslow is as his 'off the record' comments with SOS highlighted.

It reminds me off all those United fans who set about the two Irish owners, because Fergie had fallen out with him and then expected them to lead the resistance to Glazers!

Rafa criticised the lack of a meeting with Broughton last Wednesday, yet it has taken almost a week for this to be leaked! Coincidently on the back of a few articles over the weekend, laying a fair percentage of the blame squarely at the boards feet and today (TB's for instance) pointing out that Rafa only wants assurances to be able to invest what he raises.

I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that Rafa is actually the one making demands after the season we've had; it's incredible!

It's like me getting nowhere near my sales targets in work and then in my end of year review whinging about not having enough holidays or something.

Hi, new to here having quit the Echo Forum because of the lunatics that have taken over the asylum.

For what its worth I think Rafa will still be manager well into the summer and prbably beyond for the simple reason that I do not believe we are anywhere nearer a sale now that we have been at any point in the past. I reckon he will therefore tough it out and wait for the club to make its move. Lets face it, unless King Kenny (Rafa's biggest fan) stabs him in the back a nd takes the job in a holding role, who else will want to come with G&H holding on? Megson?

The Yanks paid just over £200m for us if I'm not wrong on the back of the CL success and before City strengthened and even then it was only a two horse race. A couple of decent commercial endorsements down the line, but our poorest campaign for many years, why would be now worth upwards of £400m, with the stadium shelved??

Doesn't make investment sense to me and football is such a fickle investment without all the plots and sub-plots being played out at this club.

I do like the focus on Champions league football being essential to attract the best footballers!

Well we have had Champions league football for the past six seasons and outside Torres we haven't exactly been swamped with interest have we? How exactly has champions league football helped the last couple of seasons for instance!

I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that Rafa is actually the one making demands after the season we've had; it's incredible!

It's like me getting nowhere near my sales targets in work and then in my end of year review whinging about not having enough holidays or something.

Not really, as I say, asking to keep the money that he raises isn't an outrageous demand!

Asking for massive amounts of money, say 30 million is, but If all he asking for is the money raised then he has every right to demand that, sorry but he has.

Not really, as I say, asking to keep the money that he raises isn't an outrageous demand!

Asking for massive amounts of money, say 30 million is, but If all he asking for is the money raised then he has every right to demand that, sorry but he has.

My point is that he has absolutely no right to be making demands at all; he should be sitting at home worrying about keeping his job, not trying to make out that we'd be lucky to keep him!