You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

I think things will become a lot clearer once Rafa meets with Broughton. I suspect Broughton will be a straight shooter and tell Rafa the situation as is. I imagine this will include details of serious buyers for the club, as well as their intentions towards Rafa.

I suspect the new owners will want their own man - no point in investing all that dosh on a man with so many question marks.

If Broughton tells Rafa this (and I would imagine this will be the situation) then he will be off to Juventus.

At that point I'd like Dalglish to be the manager, at least until the new owners are in place and they can then do their own thing.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undermined, so he didn't waste money on Keane, Dossena, Babel, Degen, Voronin et al? The transfer fees and wages amongst those lot suggest he's had money, except Rafa always wants more.

So you afford him no margin for error or any manager of this club for that matter?

£60 million in player sales with around £37 million reinvested. Is that good enough for a side who had expectations of winning the title? When a manager has to forgo his plans for the season and concentrate on limiting the damage that was done in losing key players rather than building and continuing the progression whilst trying to add a new dynamic to the way the team plays surely in that circumstance he is afforded more benefit of the doubt?

Yes of course we've underachieved this year but it seems that the crux of our problems rests in last summers events and everything that's followed, every mistake, every injury has been exacerbated.

I know some may construe this post as absolving the manager of most blame but it's not, he has made mistakes every season he has been here but then we have coped in the main whereas this season for a while especially, the team looked in free fall, devoid of confidence and belief with one situation compounding another.

The fact that Benitez couldn't get to grips with the situation may well cost him his job. He's still dealing with a decision to sell Alonso almost 2 years later. It was his decision to sell, right or wrongly, yet he should have been backed properly in seeing that decision through. People will point at Aquilani and the mistake he has made there but then others may point at if we had signed another attacking option may we have coped with the loss of Alonso and the injury to Aquilani a little better?

Benitez looks knackered, his judgement must surely have become clouded what with all the politics and infighting that has gone on. Someone said the other day on here that the managers job at this club is probably the most difficult job in world football today. I'd have to agree and by the looks of it so do most top class managers like Mourinho.

I reckon whoever the manager is next season, we should be offering them far more benefit of the doubt whilst those parasites still own this club and continue to bleed it dry.

I'll manage us for free if thats the case.

Most difficult job in world football? No way is it.

You nail this and you'll be set in stone and revered like no one else.

Thats something that appeals to managers.

Right now it is considering the expectations of the supporters and how out of sync they are with the real ambitions of the current owners and the lack of investment they can offer in shaping a project that could be successful.

That is why Mourinho is giving us the swerve.

This is my order of easiness of jobs:

1. Everton – fans are happy so long as Liverpool are doing badly. Easiest job in the world at the moment.

2. Arsenal – plenty of funds, shiny big new stadium, support from the board, don’t have to finish higher than 3rd or win anything for years and still people think you’re a genius.

3. Chelsea – quality experienced squad in place, owner willing to spend massively if required, but also can interfere a bit. Will plummet down the list if Abramovich gets bored.

4. Man United – good quality squad with ingrained winning culture, massive turnover and funds – however this could be under threat with debts Glazer’s have heaped on the club. Didn’t reinvest the Ronaldo money straight away.

5. Man City – shit loads of cash! Not won or had experience of winning anything, which needs to be built up. Hard to attract players except with money. Owners will probably get impatient.

6. Tottenham – good solid support from owners of club, who provide support, but seem to have learned lessons on interfering with managers. In London to attract players, but not got history of winning stuff so can’t target the biggest names. May change if qualify for the Champions League.

7. Aston Villa – lots of support from the owner, spent loads of cash, happy in UEFA spots and challenging for a cup for now.

8. Liverpool – shit owners who are looking to sell, massive debts, lack of clarity on who runs the club and makes decisions. Still massive and prestigious club, and would be a lot higher on the list with proper owners.

So we finish 7th, and next year let's say 9th and we still have the same owners. Manager not a problem?

So we keep the owners, they refuse to fund any further player purchases - no matter what manager you get in we'll still have players like N'Gog, Babel, Lucas, Kelly and Derby as our back up players to fill in when injury occurs. These players have potential but are not yet ready to do that job.

Lewis' date=' do you not think there's a chance some players will decide to go if Rafa stays ?[/quote']

Players can decide to leave any season - regardless of who the manager is. But the simple fact is that if Benitez goes it will be because the assurances of funds to match ambitions have not been forthcoming. THAT message will echo loud and clear around the players lounge and players like Gerrard (who is desperate to win a title) may well lead the charge for the exit.

Juventus target Rafael Benítez gives Liverpool ultimatum over future | Liverpool - Times Online

From The Times

May 4, 2010

Juventus target Rafael Benítez gives Liverpool ultimatum over future

Tony Barrett

* 34 Comments

Recommend? (14)

Rafael Benitez

Rafael Benítez will tell Liverpool that only a cast-iron commitment allowing him to invest all of the proceeds from player sales this summer will tempt him to remain at Anfield.

Amid mounting concern that Fernando Torres will seek a move to a club with genuine prospects of challenging for domestic and European titles, Benítez is weighing up the offer to become Juventus coach.

The Liverpool manager has been given until Monday to accept an offer of a four-year, £16 million contract and he has consistently refused to rule himself out of the running for one of the leading jobs in Italian football. But should Martin Broughton, the Liverpool chairman, offer the manager a guarantee that revenue from player sales will not be diverted to service the club’s £237 million debt, Benítez could be swayed from bringing his six-year tenure at Anfield to an end.

Benítez is due to convene with Broughton for the first time this week in a meeting that is sure to involve a full and frank exchange of views. Liverpool officials remain unimpressed with Benítez’s flirtation with a rival club, while the Spaniard is unhappy that he has not been given any pledges after requesting clarity about his position and Liverpool’s transfer policy.

Related Links

* Chelsea grateful for Gerrard gift at Anfield

* Benitez tells fans why he has to go

* Liverpool in need of revolution to ease pain

The situation regarding Torres is of particular concern, with Manchester City believed to be willing to pay about £70 million for the forward should he be willing to leave Liverpool. Senior Anfield figures insist that the 26-year-old is not for sale at any price, but Torres is deeply concerned by Liverpool’s deterioration over the past 12 months.

He could ask for a transfer and Benítez wants to ensure that he will be given the proceeds of a sale should his record signing depart. The Liverpool manager’s attempts to force the issue on transfer policy are born of his frustration at events last summer, having claimed that promises regarding available funding, made before he signed a new five-year contract last March, were not kept.

That charge is disputed by Anfield officials who insist the club spent about £18 million net, a figure that they claim was in keeping with the amount they had promised their manager.

This summer, Benítez’s transfer pot would not exceed £15 million unless it is enhanced by the proceeds of outgoing transfers. The problem for Benítez is that the club have decided that there will be no great attempts to convince him to stay.

Given the £16 million compensation package that would be due to him in the event of being dismissed, the offer from Juventus could suit all parties.

The uncertainty surrounding Benítez’s position is having an impact on the Liverpool squad with several players admitting that they are unclear about what the future holds.

As well as questions about Torres, there are doubts over whether Steven Gerrard will remain and Javier Mascherano has yet to sign the contract that has been verbally agreed. Yossi Benayoun has said he could depart, while Lucas Leiva has revealed how uncertainty is affecting the playing staff.

“It is difficult to speak about next season, as we don’t know what changes there will be with the players or the staff,” Benayoun said. “I don’t know whether I will be here or if I won’t. In a few weeks we will know better.”

Lucas said: “Everyone is aware of the doubts over Rafa’s future. But we do not know what is going to happen.”

and so it begins

Liverpool transfer news: Barcelona, Chelsea and Manchester City on alert as Fernando Torres considers his future - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Barcelona and Man City on alert as Torres considers his future

Published 22:20 03/05/10 By David Maddock

* (13)

Recommend (5)

Chelsea-2-0-Liverpool-Fernando-Torres-cropped

Liverpool are preparing for a fight to keep star striker Fernando Torres as he considers his Anfield future.

The Spanish international has been unhappy for some time with what he sees as a lack of investment in the team, and he wants to know that the proposed takeover will happen soon, and bring in the necessary funds for rebuilding.

La Liga giants Barcelona have been monitoring his situation, and would be prepared to offer huge sums for his services, as they look to make a splash under a new president to be appointed this summer.

Manchester City and Chelsea have also made discreet enquiries that have not yet been rebuffed by the player's advisors as he waits for reassurance from the Anfield board.

Sources close to Torres suggest that he is no longer an admirer of Rafa Benitez, and would be more likely to give Liverpool another 12 months should the manager leave, to give them time to get new owners and new investment in place. The same applies to Steven Gerrard, who would be more likely to commit if there is a change of management.

Torres has warned the club that he wants to see real signs of progress if he is to commit his long-term future to Anfield.

But it is not a given and the Anfield board will have to demonstrate to their striker that the takeover is getting closer.

So he loves the club, the fans and the city but he won't hang around if he can't have another £40 million to spend this summer. He should be begging us to keep him around after this car crash of a season.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here - are you suggesting that Benitez, a man who has won league titles, european cups and is in great demand should be glad that Liverpool FC want him to stay but won't back up that desire by giving him money to provide the fans with the team they so desperately want?

Project? Six years he's been here, he's had enough time to mould the squad into something that can qualify for the Champions League. Not be backed? Well I'd feel for him if he hadn't wasted what he did have.

Six seasons you say - yet you base his record on this seasons failure to qualify for the European cup.

It's as if winning the European cup, getting back to another European Cup final, winning the FA Cup, finishing a close second last season and then not receiving the financial backing to take the next step has no influence on your opinion.

Guest Pistonbroke
Juventus target Rafael Benítez gives Liverpool ultimatum over future | Liverpool - Times Online

From The Times

May 4, 2010

Juventus target Rafael Benítez gives Liverpool ultimatum over future

Tony Barrett

* 34 Comments

Recommend? (14)

Rafael Benitez

Rafael Benítez will tell Liverpool that only a cast-iron commitment allowing him to invest all of the proceeds from player sales this summer will tempt him to remain at Anfield.

Amid mounting concern that Fernando Torres will seek a move to a club with genuine prospects of challenging for domestic and European titles, Benítez is weighing up the offer to become Juventus coach.

The Liverpool manager has been given until Monday to accept an offer of a four-year, £16 million contract and he has consistently refused to rule himself out of the running for one of the leading jobs in Italian football. But should Martin Broughton, the Liverpool chairman, offer the manager a guarantee that revenue from player sales will not be diverted to service the club’s £237 million debt, Benítez could be swayed from bringing his six-year tenure at Anfield to an end.

Benítez is due to convene with Broughton for the first time this week in a meeting that is sure to involve a full and frank exchange of views. Liverpool officials remain unimpressed with Benítez’s flirtation with a rival club, while the Spaniard is unhappy that he has not been given any pledges after requesting clarity about his position and Liverpool’s transfer policy.

Related Links

* Chelsea grateful for Gerrard gift at Anfield

* Benitez tells fans why he has to go

* Liverpool in need of revolution to ease pain

The situation regarding Torres is of particular concern, with Manchester City believed to be willing to pay about £70 million for the forward should he be willing to leave Liverpool. Senior Anfield figures insist that the 26-year-old is not for sale at any price, but Torres is deeply concerned by Liverpool’s deterioration over the past 12 months.

He could ask for a transfer and Benítez wants to ensure that he will be given the proceeds of a sale should his record signing depart. The Liverpool manager’s attempts to force the issue on transfer policy are born of his frustration at events last summer, having claimed that promises regarding available funding, made before he signed a new five-year contract last March, were not kept.

That charge is disputed by Anfield officials who insist the club spent about £18 million net, a figure that they claim was in keeping with the amount they had promised their manager.

This summer, Benítez’s transfer pot would not exceed £15 million unless it is enhanced by the proceeds of outgoing transfers. The problem for Benítez is that the club have decided that there will be no great attempts to convince him to stay.

Given the £16 million compensation package that would be due to him in the event of being dismissed, the offer from Juventus could suit all parties.

The uncertainty surrounding Benítez’s position is having an impact on the Liverpool squad with several players admitting that they are unclear about what the future holds.

As well as questions about Torres, there are doubts over whether Steven Gerrard will remain and Javier Mascherano has yet to sign the contract that has been verbally agreed. Yossi Benayoun has said he could depart, while Lucas Leiva has revealed how uncertainty is affecting the playing staff.

“It is difficult to speak about next season, as we don’t know what changes there will be with the players or the staff,” Benayoun said. “I don’t know whether I will be here or if I won’t. In a few weeks we will know better.”

Lucas said: “Everyone is aware of the doubts over Rafa’s future. But we do not know what is going to happen.”

I hope to God he doesn't get that. We could see our better players being sold to assemble a bigger squad with risky buys and end up with Benitez leaving anyway if his new ideas go tits up.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here - are you suggesting that Benitez, a man who has won league titles, european cups and is in great demand should be glad that Liverpool FC want him to stay but won't back up that desire by giving him money to provide the fans with the team they so desperately want?

i didn't think there was any money in the current ownership budget for new players?

if we get new owners then who can say what the budget will be

Rafa does not deserve another season after his performance in the last 2 transfer windows alone

I actually don't think Torres will be here next season. Seeing him in normal clothes during the lap of "honour" just increased the feeling. Just a gut feeling though, no real backing.

will all depend on the ownership issue i reckon

however i think he deserves to give us 1 more season

Would you manage us for free if someone else was offering you £15k a week and enough funds to build the team you think would win things but we were saying 'get on and win things with what you have here'?

i didn't think there was any money in the current ownership budget for new players?

if we get new owners then who can say what the budget will be

Rafa does not deserve another season after his performance in the last 2 transfer windows alone

In terms of what the owners wanted he has succeeded massively - he has operated over the last two transfer windows at a profit. He was told that not only was he not getting funds for players but he would have to make a profit. He did that.

People here need to get real.

Rafa will only leave if he is told that under the current ownership it will be as you were with the transfer budget resembling the last 2 seasons, if not worse.

Under those circumstances which half decent manager would come to us. I'll tell you, none. Mourinho has already gone on record of stating he'll not even consider it if C&A are still there. If he goes you watch them use the excuse of paying him off (if he walks of his own free will they'll still try to use this excuse) as a reason for a zero transfer budget. Without Rafa as an obstacle and voice to the media you watch there blood sucking kick into overdrive. They'll start cutting the staff, reserves and then the Academy as this is the things the average fan doesn't see on match day. Once thats done they'll start on the match day squad. THEN they'll sell whilst still wanting a cut of future profits, while the banks sit there shitting themselves.

I believe Benitez should go. I am of this opinion for a number of reasons;

In his 6 years here we have played mostly poor football. There have been games where we have routed the opposition but, and without checking the stats, I have more recollections of losing or meekly drawing to sides that we should have beaten than I have recollections of routing sides. Last season I truly believe we were lucky to finish second because some of the games we won we did so by the skin of our teeth while playing shite. Portsmouth away springs to mind when I couldn't bring myself to cheer when we came from behind. We were so shite that I was more depressed about our performance than I was pleased with the result.

Benitez has bought and sold a ridiculously high number of players. I'm not sure I trust that he knows what type of player he wants. It seems to me that he buys some players speculatively only to find afterwards that they were not such a good buy.

One of the reasons for these players not cutting the mustard is because I believe Benitez does not get the best out of his players. I believe this is mostly due to his personal style. That won't change.

In the same vein I think he pissess off too many players and does not treat them with respect or decency. I cannot back this up with hard evidence but it is an impression I have. (Other than Pennant's and Reira's outspoken comments and that he leaves shit plaers on the pitch when there are better players on the bench).

I believe he made a huge error in freezing out Crouch when Crouch was a far better option up-front than Kuyt.

I do not trust that Benitez would buy well with any money he is given. We have bought and sold too many poor players. Why did he buy them in the first place?

Added to that is that some of the poor players he bought are still here. After 6 years and having had plenty of money to spend, this is HIS squad. And it's a poor one overall. Some fine players who are dragged down by poor ones, further dragged down by Benitez' sometimes baffling decisions, dragged further down by Benitez' personal style.

Yes, the owners are tossers, but Benitez conducts the orchestra with musicians he recruited. I have no faith in Benitez because the orchestra consistently plays out of tune and plays boring music. I do not believe he will win the league title ever. He needs to be replaced.

What I want to know from those who want him to stay is; What is it about Benitez and his performances over 6 years that makes you think him remaining as manager is the best option? And, frankly, that you don't like any assumed shortlist of replacements is not a good enough reason. What is it about Benitez that makes you believe he should stay in the job?

Edited by thechap

EXCLUSIVE: Rafael Benitez Wants To Stay At Liverpool But Seeks Transfer Pledge - Agent

Rafael Benitez wants to continue as Liverpool's manager - but only if he is given some guarantees over how much he can spend on new players this summer, his agent confirmed today.

Manuel Garcia Quilon, Benitez's agent, confirmed that the Spaniard will sit down with the Reds' new chairman Martin Broughton this week to discuss his future at Anfield. And the promise of financial investment will be pivotal to whether or not he stays.

“He [benitez] has a meeting with the chairman this week, and from what I can say Rafael Benitez wants to continue at Liverpool,” Quilon told Goal.com UK.

“Benitez needs to know what the plans are for the future. For the investment into players at the club. That is going to be important.”

Benitez has been strongly linked with a summer switch to Juventus in recent months, with some outlets even going so far as to claim that last week Quilon had travelled to meet with the Italian club's new chairman, Andrea Agnelli, and agree a four-year deal worth £16 million a year.

But the agent denies such reports, and insists that his client's future remains at Anfield.

“I have not made any agreement with Juventus," Quilon stated.

“He has four years left of his contract [with Liverpool]. If there is going to be any change then that is something you had better ask him directly.”

With Liverpool currently put up for sale by their unpopular American owners, it seems the outcome of the meeting between Benitez and Broughton — who has been brought in specifically to find a buyer — will prove very influential in deciding whether the manager stays or goes.

"It [the meeting] is to talk about the future," Benitez told reporters this week.

"Everyone is asking about my future but the future of the club is more important. Still I do not know what is going on in the club. I don't know if we will have any investors so there are a lot of questions - not just, for me, one question.

"For me the club has to answer a lot of questions.

"It is very clear: we have to wait and see what is going on. The future is maybe tomorrow or maybe one week; at this moment it is something we don't know."

The meeting comes amid uncertainty surrounding the futures of some of Liverpool's most valuable players, including star striker Fernando Torres and captain Steven Gerrard.

Torres is wanted by Manchester City, who would be prepared to offer Liverpool up to £70 million for the 26-year-old forward.

Should he finally decide to quit Liverpool, Gerrard will attract interest from some of Europe's top clubs including Inter Milan and Real Madrid, whilst Javier Mascherano has long been coveted by Barcelona.

Should Liverpool allow any of these players to go, Benitez will seek a guarantee that he can invest all the proceeds on rebuilding his squad

EXCLUSIVE: Rafael Benitez Wants To Stay At Liverpool But Seeks Transfer Pledge - Agent - Goal.com

People here need to get real.

Rafa will only leave if he is told that under the current ownership it will be as you were with the transfer budget resembling the last 2 seasons, if not worse.

Under those circumstances which half decent manager would come to us. I'll tell you, none. Mourinho has already gone on record of stating he'll not even consider it if C&A are still there. If he goes you watch them use the excuse of paying him off (if he walks of his own free will they'll still try to use this excuse) as a reason for a zero transfer budget. Without Rafa as an obstacle and voice to the media you watch there blood sucking kick into overdrive. They'll start cutting the staff, reserves and then the Academy as this is the things the average fan doesn't see on match day. Once thats done they'll start on the match day squad. THEN they'll sell whilst still wanting a cut of future profits, while the banks sit there shitting themselves.

Depressingly, realistic conjecture.

I have a feeling that, had we won the Europa league, Rafa would have been off at the end of the season. I'm starting to think now that, because this season has been an absolute failure Rafa would be too stubborn to quit with his reputation having taken a blow. I could see him being here next season, definately. (Unless he gets sacked, mind.)