You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Bishop

Faustus

Spot on. I have seen that exact quote so many times from people on FB or Twitter recently that i have just blocked them immediately.

He's not the worst comic i've seen, but Christ there is not one original bone in his fucking body.

In fairness I actually think he's a good template for anyone wishing to get into stand-up comedy. He's practiced, studied, pretty much tailored to the audience he's looking for and he pokes fun at himself well - which is what people want to see a scouser do. You don't actually need to be that funny to be a stand-up, you just need to be disciplined in the way you collect material, write it down and repeat it. I think the likes of Jimmy Carr fall into this category too.

Was watching a thing about Eddie Ezzard last night, I'm not a major fan of his but I recognise genius when I see it, and he is one. He's at the opposite end of the scale to these two. He's been heckled and booed off more times than he can remember when he was coming through, and it seemed to take him years to refine, what are essentially surreal daydreams, into some semblence of an act that the plebs can understand. He still looks like a nervous wreck behind the scenes, but it's natural comedy, I doubt very much that Bishop or Carr could make you laugh if you just met them at a party and I reckon they'd be pretty straight, but Izzard (or someone like Vic Reeves) would be all over the place.

Guest davelfc
The problem is, that no matter how you try and "Scouse" it up, the Wirral accent still sounds a bit gay. Which i remind my kids of every day, as they will have to get used to having it.

The Birkenhead accent is one of the strangest things I've heard, they're uber scousers.

I'm lucky enough that I spent years away in the RAF and so my accent (Wirral) just isn't really there any more. I've been called posh by my kids but I don't see that.

Comes across as a likeable enough bloke, but his stand up stuff is boring as fuck. Very uninspired and unoriginal dullness. I'm waiting for the punchline and it never seems to come, the story just meanders to the conclusion that you predicted at the start with a lack of jokes on the way...

To be fair he does seem pretty affable. A lad I know sold him a new car for his sister the other day and asked if he could have some tickets, he gave him his mobile number and asked him to text him to remind him. Thus prompting the FB update 'been texting John Bishop for my free tickets!'. Fair do's.

One thing I have noticed about him is that when he does his scripted stage stuff, he speaks much slower; almost like he is trying to help the audience understand him. This is in contrast to his ad libbing in the sports programme he appears on (with James Horden, Redknapp, Flintoff etc, and the name escapes me) where he speaks much faster. Weird!

He can be funny, but his TV series was shite!

I am a bit worried about you RB , you can remember Corden,Redknapp & Flintoff but have forgotten Georgie Thompson !!!

The Birkenhead accent is one of the strangest things I've heard, they're uber scousers.

I'm lucky enough that I spent years away in the RAF and so my accent (Wirral) just isn't really there any more. I've been called posh by my kids but I don't see that.

We had to listen to it on an away this year, proper Scouse accents from these whoppas, then then sound like Paul O'Grady when they say 'phone'.

• 1 month later...

I'd never heard of John Bishop until I went back home over Christmas. My brother went to see him at the Echo Arena.

I've since watched him on Youtube and I thought he was OK. His act tells stories. It's not quick-fire, edgy comedy, but it's a pleasant enough way to while away the time. He's a good red. Good luck to the fella.

• 4 months later...

He went right up in my estimations when he was on Graham Norton. They had that blert on from Lost and that outstanding bird from Inglorious Basterds and Norton was asking them how much they all loved London. Lost boy was giving it the 'oh yeah you guys know how to party!' prompting much applause, when Norton asks Bishop why he hasn't moved to London yet to which he replies: "Because it's shite." Cue much awkward laughter in the studio. Outstanding.

He went right up in my estimations when he was on Graham Norton. They had that blert on from Lost and that outstanding bird from Inglorious Basterds and Norton was asking them how much they all loved London. Lost boy was giving it the 'oh yeah you guys know how to party!' prompting much applause, when Norton asks Bishop why he hasn't moved to London yet to which he replies: "Because it's shite." Cue much awkward laughter in the studio. Outstanding.

That sounds class, when and what channel was this on?

Also re. the Lost Blert, I'm betting it's that douche off the Loreal adverts?